Bills had deal in place with Colts to trade to 3 before Jets swooped in, per WGR

A deal in place and a deal are two seperate things.  If the guy they want is there and the jets offer are not the same thing.  Colts took the best offer.  Lets see how this plays out.  Do they go all in for 1 or 2.  Gamble and get a guy at 4 or 6.

14 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

I never stated they would in fact up the ante.. I just feel like if Colts were to tell Beane what jets offer was, Beane wouldn't just tell Colts, they are not upping the offer. Beane is smarter than that. I feel Beane would have told Colts to hold tight and see if we can come up with a better trade (even tho Beane knew he wasn't gonna up the offer).. But it would have bought time to visit other trade scenarios with other teams. If this were the case, NO WAY a trade with jets happens early in march!!

Hold tight and see? This is a professional business not a couple of friends trading baseball cards. How do you know the Jets didn't make that offer and say take it or leave it? You are basing entirely too much off of conjecture and personal feeling.

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sounds like Bills trying to cover their ass with the fans in case they can't trade up. 

"Well we tried guys!"

No excuses. Do what is necessary Beane. 

You realize another team has to be willing to deal too, right?

Admit it. There's nothing this regime can/will do that will please you.

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think there becomes a point where you would be a fool to not listen or say no. I really think the giants are not going to draft a QB so IMO, they would probably be willing to move to a certain degree. If they won’t, they won’t. That’s why it sucks that we couldn’t pull off the colts thing. Now we might actually be screwed.

If Darnold is at 2 the Giants are taking a QB.  If not I think they take Chubb or Barkley.  Neither of which will be available at 12.  That's the problem we are facing right now.  The offer to move back to 12 is not attractive for teams who are sitting in the top 5.  That's exactly the reason why we lost on the Colts deal.  What's more attractive?  A team who will overpay to move up 3 spots and still land one of our top guys?  or a team who will overpay and require us to move back and miss out on our top guy.  This is exactly why we lost the deal.  The only thing we could have done about that in hindsight is lose more games.  No thanks.

We are where we are and unfortunately, we might have gotten shut out of the top 3 QB's.  If we have, it sucks, but we'll live and move on.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You doubt that the Colts called Beane and said ‘here is what the Jets are willing to give up for our pick...do you wish to counter with an offer?’. 

I doubt Beane said it wasn’t worth it. I am confident that the Jets get above 3 if the Bills got 3 however. Maybe Beane knew that. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I would bet Beane passed at the end and said it wasn’t worth it. 

Or he might have thought, "If I'm going to give away the farm, I may as well do it with a friend (Gettleman) in the NFC..."

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

If Darnold is at 2 the Giants are taking a QB.  If not I think they take Chubb or Barkley.  Neither of which will be available at 12.  That's the problem we are facing right now.  The offer to move back to 12 is not attractive for teams who are sitting in the top 5.  That's exactly the reason why we lost on the Colts deal.  What's more attractive?  A team who will overpay to move up 3 spots and still land one of our top guys?  or a team who will overpay and require us to move back and miss out on our top guy.  This is exactly why we lost the deal.  The only thing we could have done about that in hindsight is lose more games.  No thanks.

We are where we are and unfortunately, we might have gotten shut out of the top 3 QB's.  If we have, it sucks, but we'll live and move on.

Nailed it!

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Would be better than where we are now.

As a Buffalo Bills and Sabres fan it was refreshing for the Bills to break the drought and play in January. The Sabres have been "tanking" for years and look where they are?  Granted, the draft lottery changes things. Toronto tanks once and gets the best player. Go figure.  Maybe this year the Sabres will get a break and get the top pick. I still like what Beane and McDermott are building.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Or he might have thought, "If I'm going to give away the farm, I may as well do it with a friend (Gettleman) in the NFC..."

Not sure it has anything to do with doing a deal with a friend, but more about not spending all my draft capital for 3 when I have a shot at 2.  Clearly the Jets were in desperation mode and the Giants were not an option for them.  

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Hold tight and see? This is a professional business not a couple of friends trading baseball cards. How do you know the Jets didn't make that offer and say take it or leave it? You are basing entirely too much off of conjecture and personal feeling.

Ur telling me, if ur Colts GM your gonna be that quick to trigger a trade in EARLY MARCH??? And not wait for other offers from teams in a QB rich draft with QB needy teams.. I'm not saying they would have gotten more than the jets offered, but the possibility of it is real. 

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

It is amazing to me how BLIND some of you want to be to what is happening here.  The COLTS took the Jets offer, not because Buffalo could pay MORE but because the Colts only had to move to 6.  There are some players way up there that INDY really likes that won't be there at 12.  The Colts get the extra picks in a deep draft, and still get at top 3 NON QB.  They didn't WANT the Bills package!  .....and the other thing that is funny is that everyone just assumes that the 2nd pick can be had if the Bills just meet the asking price.....there is no asking price to be met.....the Jets certainly called about it.  If the Giants were in this for a top 3 NON QB, they would have traded out already....They are taking the QB.  ....can't stress this enough....hardest thing to find is a high end, franchise type QB.  Your odds of getting one are much higher at the top end of a draft.  If you think you can get one, you get him.  The Giants have the 2nd pick in a year where there are some guys who many think could be that kind of guy.  If you are the Giants, you do not know where you will draft next year, and surely your scouting department has told you that the 2019 QB crop is garbage...even if ONE guy emerges...will you be in position to get him?  The most value the Giants can get from that pick is to use it this year while they are in position to get their next QB.  They even have the unusual luxury of drafting so high but still having a vet QB in place so the new guy can sit if they are so inclinded.  The Bills will either sit at 12 or trade up to 9 or so for Josh Allen, or gamble on waiting for Mason Rudolph...but that is a huge risk because Arizona, Pittsburg, and the LA Chargers are lurking...the Chargers are especially dangerous to move up on someone.  

I think you got it 100% correct here. The only fly in the proverbial ointment might be Barkley. There is always the chance they think Eli can still get it done for 2-3 more years and they want to make a run. Getting a stud RB would change the dynamics of that offense on day 1.