What stops some top QB prospects from working out in the NFL? How do ANY fail?

Every time I watch these "QB camp" shows on NFL Network I'm amazed that any of these young QBs fail in the NFL.

They can sit there, listen to the coach draw up and explain a play, then after the coach erases the board they draw it up from scratch and talk through it so easily that it seems like they have the mental part down pat.

Then you see these pro days, where they run through the entire route tree, hitting guys in stride. Obviously they can make the throws.

Then some of these guys get to the NFL and they aren't just not very good, many are completely awful. Despite their ability to understand plays, their work ethic, and their ability to make all the throws. It just defies logic!

Is it really all about reading a defense?  

I just saw the episode with Mason Rudolph and I was thinking "Wow! This guy is amazing!" I guess that's why I'm not a scout!

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Every time I watch these "QB camp" shows on NFL Network I'm amazed that any of these young QBs fail in the NFL.

They can sit there, listen to the coach draw up and explain a play, then after the coach erases the board they draw it up from scratch and talk through it so easily that it seems like they have the mental part down pat.

Then you see these pro days, where they run through the entire route tree, hitting guys in stride. Obviously they can make the throws.

Then some of these guys get to the NFL and they aren't just not very good, many are completely awful. Despite their ability to understand plays, their work ethic, and their ability to make all the throws. It just defies logic!

I just saw the episode with Mason Rudolph and I was thinking "Wow! This guy is amazing!" I guess that's why I'm not a scout!

I thought the same about Blaine Gabbert when he was on Jon Gruden's QB camp a few years ago. Shows you what I know...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

White board work and On Field Processing are completely different. 

Prodays are a joke because they are scripted, practiced over and over and over 

• Like (+1) 1

in the example of Mason Rudolph, what will make him fail is that he cannot drop back from under center.  he looked like a fish out of water trying to do it at the combine.  he would have to be like Tebow where you put him in an offense designed for him to succeed and it wouldn't be a pro style offense.  when you don't have experience under center, reading defenses, negotiating the pocket, delivering a pass on time, those types of things are REALLY hard to learn at this point after you have 10-15 yrs of experience never doing those things.  it's like a completely different game at that point.  the NFL game is totally different in that the windows are so much smaller and things like proper footwork and timing are absolutely crucial.  if you aren't on time and your body isn't in the right position to make the throw, you aren't going to be successful.  then you get into the more advanced things like looking off the safeties, audibles, manipulating defenses, that would be like trying to speak in french to someone who has never had to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It is a lot different when you have a 300 lb guy running at you and for some, a line you have to look over.   I would have thought the question was "How do any of these guys succeed.  

Edited by Greybeard

In my opinion, the biggest hurdle for Quarterbacks is processing speed.

From snap to throw, a QB has roughly 2-3 seconds to process where 11 defenders are going, in relation to his 4/5 receiving options.

And once the throw is made, defenders close very, very quickly.  Ball placement is vital.

Many college offenses limit a QBs receiving reads to 1-2 options on a given play, and you often find receivers running WIDE open.

23 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Sometimes I think it comes down to the QB didn’t make it happen when it needed to happen.  These guys can be whiz’s in the board,  but when it’s Week 9 with 40 seconds left and your down by 4 on 4th and 7...you need to hit it, you don’t get a do over.  I feel you lose or miss that opportunity then things begin to snow ball from those failures.

Finally a topic worth starting a thread on.  Thanks TFP.

Complicated for sure because there's so many variables.  I think the most important thing is can the person retain information and translate it to the field.   A good foundation from college on understanding defenses and the cause/effect routes have on them - is important but not the end all.  If the player can learn they can still "get it" later.   The speed of the NFL game is what's next to overcome.  Learn, study,  grow but if the speed of the NFL stops the player from processing mental into physical, that's a problem. 

Today's NFL is not helping young QB's grow.  Offensive coordinators leave for other jobs or get fired for lack of success, I'm guessing in 3 years or less on average.  WR's come and go, RB's come and go, Lineman come and go,  TE's come and go - so free agency movement is a huge issue with continuity.  All the more reason the young QB has to be so prepared by himself.  There's just not the 10 year WR and QB relationship anymore.  

IMO (and I hate to say this because I really like McDermott), but the best chance a young QB has, is if the head coach is a great offensive mind.  It helps reduce the impact of the OC leaving and their strong relationship keeps the team moving forward.  

1. It is usually that they have to start too early for terrible team. They don't develop anymore. 

2. The college game makes no effort whatsoever to get them prepared for the NFL. Like Darnold has been working on his release with Jordan Palmer the last few months. Why wasn't this fixed in college? Because colleges don't care about their players and their future success. They just want to win, make money off these kids so that they can recruit more kids and spit them out. 

3. Because they go to bad teams, the teams are constantly hiring and firing coaches so there is no continuity. Blaine Gabbert entered the league in 2011. He has had 7 different offensive coordinators in that time, and whoever he signs with this year will probably be his 8th. 

4. They don't have the talent. Either they have slow eyes, slow processing, slow feet, a weak arm, small hands whatever, sometime sit is simply something physical. Sometimes they get over-drafted like EJ Manuel and Christian Ponder and they simply can't do what is expected from them. 

5. They were always the best and football came easy so they get lazy. They never had to work before and don't know how to bounce back from failure and tough times. Ryan Leaf, Johnny Football. Another guy rumored to be succumbing to this is Paxton Lynch who apparently spends his free time playing XBox. 

55 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It's all upstairs.  Some guys like Brady have the latest Intel processor and some have a Tandy processor.  

yeah, pick out one example and copy what he does....

that doesn't work in real life

why can't you be just like Tom Brady?  what's wrong with you??????

59 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

For the same reason Dads who beat their friends at Poker in their garage go to Vegas and get crushed by people who play for a living. 

Its easy to look good against lesser skilled competition or in shirts and shorts, its a whole other ball of wax when you are playing with professionals and for real.

And thats another reason why I laugh every year on how combine or pro days make people forget about all the flaws on tape when the bullets are really flying.  I dont care what they do in T-Shirts and Shorts, I care what they do when a 280 pound lineman is running a 4.6 40 yard dash right into their face and DB's who run sub 4.5's are covering the WR's he's trying to squeeze the ball to with chest crushing ball hawk safeties watching his eyes to break on the ball before he has even thrown it.

Edited by Alphadawg7

There is no bigger leap in sports than going from college QB to NFL QB..,

The college game is pretty dumbed down for QBs... mostly spread systems, 1-2 reads then run or checkdown

most don't make checks at the LoS which hinders them at the next level as well

its mostly the mental aspects of the game which young QBs struggle with