The Wunderlich test for quarterbacks

6 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Well, if that is true, he is one of the smartest dumb people who ever walked the earth.

Terry Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls and is in the Hall of Fame.

He has acted in movies and television.  He has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. He has written books, sold records, and has a career in advertising spanning 4 decades. He has also enjoyed a prosperous broadcasting career which is still going strong.

I only wish I was as stupid as Terry Bradshaw is.

you mean as talented, have you heard him speak? Painful. I could say the same about Bill Walton

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

The Wonderlic Personnel Test doesn't appear to have any value in predicting future NFL performance. 

Also note that the test was apparently revised and renamed in 2007 to "containing questions more appropriate to the 21st century" according to Wikipedia. 

I wonder how math and logic questions have been changed to become more appropriate to modern times.

27 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Not all of it is math and logic. 

Sample Test

Example:

35.) A synonym of firmament is:
A) Ground
B) River
C) Sky
D) Future

So....understanding the English language has also 'evolved' to fit the 21st Century?

Go illiteracy!!

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I wonder how math and logic questions have been changed to become more appropriate to modern times.

The two trains approaching each other from opposite directions are now high speed mag lev trains as opposed to steam engines 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Of course it matters to GMs, or they wouldn't bother administering the test at the combine.  It's just not the only thing that matters.  If everything else checks out on a QB,  a GM may well overlook it and draft the guy anyway, and it's possible he'll have a great career.  On the other hand, everything else being equal, a GM is going to pick the smarter guy over the dumb one every time, unless his own Wonderlic is in the single digits.  It's like hand size.  It is one more tool in trying to reduce the element of chance in the very inexact "science" of picking the next great QB.  Yet Jared Goff was drafted first overall despite a hand size of 9 inches even.

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

You are an !@#$ for getting me into this, yet again.

Since 2000, not one QB who has scored below 16 has been a successful NFL starter.

SOME of those who've scored 16 or above have been successful.

That does not mean that any QB who scores 16 or above WILL be successful.

It DOES mean that any QB who scores BELOW 16 WILL NOT be successful.

I invite anyone to do the research and dispute my findings.   Please note ... this is since 2000 and not before.

Vince Young: 2 Pro Bowls and AFC Rookie of the Year.

2 minutes ago, mileena said:

Vince Young: 2 Pro Bowls and AFC Rookie of the Year.

Vince Young is one of the worst QBs in the entire history of the sport.

Bob Griffin had a great rookie year, too.

Young, as well as Griffin, was unsuccessful as an NFL QB.

9 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Well, if that is true, he is one of the smartest dumb people who ever walked the earth.

Terry Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls and is in the Hall of Fame.

He has acted in movies and television.  He has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. He has written books, sold records, and has a career in advertising spanning 4 decades. He has also enjoyed a prosperous broadcasting career which is still going strong.

I only wish I was as stupid as Terry Bradshaw is.

He might be successful, but he is still stupid. And much of his successes were only as a result of him winning four Super Bowls. He didn't earn them. He wasn't even that good of a quarterback. And he didn't write any books; his co-authors did.

1 hour ago, mileena said:

He might be successful, but he is still stupid. And much of his successes were only as a result of him winning four Super Bowls. He didn't earn them. He wasn't even that good of a quarterback. And he didn't write any books; his co-authors did.

List your accomplishments.

14 hours ago, prissythecat said:

You miss the point of the test.  They aren’t looking for a research scientist .  What they. don’t want is dolts like Vince Young and his 6.  Most successful QBs score  above the average which is 20 I believe ?

Do you really need a test to weed out the window lickers?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Of course it matters to GMs, or they wouldn't bother administering the test at the combine.  It's just not the only thing that matters.  If everything else checks out on a QB,  a GM may well overlook it and draft the guy anyway, and it's possible he'll have a great career.  On the other hand, everything else being equal, a GM is going to pick the smarter guy over the dumb one every time, unless his own Wonderlic is in the single digits.  It's like hand size.  It is one more tool in trying to reduce the element of chance in the very inexact "science" of picking the next great QB.  Yet Jared Goff was drafted first overall despite a hand size of 9 inches even.

The GM's that were around when the Wonderlic test was instituted are no longer around. Why would they bother administering it? Most likely because that is what they have always done. The study I posted found no correlation to being drafted or playing time. While there may be a GM or two that consider it, the evidence indicates as a group GM's don't consider it important. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Laces out Dan!!

I don't spend a second listening to any NFL talking heads, I think I see him on the panel as i fast forward to the kickoff

That's very brave of him to talk publicly.

This is one of those practices that most everybody will think has to be a good idea because the NFL is big business and they know what they are doing. So somebody like me telling folks that it is a mistake to put any weight on it at all, is useless.

The Wonderlic is a rough measure that is mostly right, most of the time. 

The NFL uses formulas to weigh factors like Wonderlic score and come up with a ranking outcome for draft prospects.

There is a saying about formulas among those who use them. "Garbage in, Garbage out". The Wonderlic is garbage in because it is only mostly right, most of the time.

I know it doesn't make sense to believe me, mr random message board poster over every NFL team.

So all I will say is I hope Beane doesn't pay attention to it.