The Wunderlich test for quarterbacks

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

I bet some teams have metrics that take all the different results(combine, college stats erc.) from all the categories and they spill out pretty decent correlations in totality Smart analysts won't include data that has no impact. This test is still in because it is a remnant of the past...hey we've always done it this way. And, there are still a few old relics that like it, as there are some of this board. End of the day if you believe someone is not smart and they score a 13 you get confirmation.

I dunno, I feel like you are calling me a relic:(

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2014/04/wondering-about-the-wonderlic-does-it-predict-quarterback-performance/

Something to think about before you give the wonderlic any weight.

I dont think many people will question whether or not higher scores mean better QB s.   The test wont help you predict who will be the next HOF QB.  However,  it should at least help flag a prospect who isn't playing with a full deck and probably should be avoided.  Would you honestly draft a QB in first round who scored a 6?          

9 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

I dont think many people will question whether or not higher scores mean better QB s.   The test wont help you predict who will be the next HOF QB.  However,  it should at least help flag a prospect who isn't playing with a full deck and probably should be avoided.  Would you honestly draft a QB in first round who scored a 6?          

I mean their study pretty conclusively showed that there is no correlation between wonderlic scores, low or otherwise, and performance. I don't know Lamar Jackson personally, maybe he has a learning disability that specifically makes him worse at test taking but doesnt impact his overall cognitive ability (like dyslexia). Or maybe, like the article proposes, the wonderlic doesn't accurately project intelligence. I wouldn't take a QB off my board just for a low wonderlic score. If they had a bad interview and didn't appear to pick up the white board quickly that's another story.

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Maybe if Jackson didn’t have mommy for his agent he would have been more prepared? That’s the kind of thing agents look out for.  Did himself no favors there....

I wondered why he was ok with having mommy as an agent. I also wondered why mom's answer wasn't "absolutely not"...

I no longer wonder.

Edited by SmokinES3

37 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Everyone talks about how Josh Rosen is so intelligent i wonder what he scored?

Reportedly a 29, second only to Allen at 37 and one point ahead of Darnold. (See previous page for list.) 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Reportedly a 29, second only to Allen at 37 and one point ahead of Darnold. (See previous page for list.) 

Roughly the equation should look like this:

1 Lamar Jackson + 1 Security Guard =  Rosen or Darnold

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Roughly the equation should look like this:

1 Lamar Jackson + 1 Security Guard =  Rosen or Darnold

I didn’t have time to check your math, but that sounds about right....