No RB coaches at Penn State pro day

Don't mean to start a new thread, hopefully it's not a repeat.

So, I'm currently working at Penn State University as a carpenter remodeling dormrooms as well as building new ones. I was excited to be there yesterday for the pro day. Had hoped to see some NFL execs, etc. Nope. Seen absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. And I thought that was odd, since some folks believe Barkley could go 1st overall, or even top 10. That said, its been reported that not one single NFL RB coach was in attendance, so Barkley decided to not participate at the pro day. 

Now I just wonder, and am looking for feedback, does this mean he is Not seen as a prospect worthy of any consideration within the top 10? Or do you suppose that he did all his interviews, and showed all he had to, at the combine? 

Personally, I doubt very highly he goes top 10. Just wondering if this is normal for potential top picks, or is this an indication of his stock falling due to his position? 

• Haha (+1) 1

It’s actually not normal for a player to decide not to work out just because position coaches aren’t there. Position coaches don’t usually attend pro days. Might see QB coaches, but not RB coaches. 

He didnt need to work out though regardless 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hebert19 said:

I think the tape when it comes to him speaks for itself. If you need a rb and he falls...you take him.  But most expect he will be gone early. 

But NO Position coach from the NFL in attendance?Just thought it very odd...

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I think he hit a home run at the combine and all the teams are tired of their RB coaches telling them to pick him.

Lol. Probably so

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

But NO Position coach from the NFL in attendance?Just thought it very odd...

Usually HCs, scouts, FOs, coordinators. Only position coaches that go are to run drills. Not to evaluate. Doesn’t matter what position it is either. You can see DL coaches running RB drills.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s not normal for a player to decide not to work out just because position coaches aren’t there. Position coaches don’t usually attend pro days. Might see QB coaches, but not RB cosches. 

Why do you think that was his reason for not participating then?

In fact, local radio here said that he had nobody "here to see him", so he passed altogether on the day. Just wonder why he wouldn't go through with it since it was already scheduled/planned. Weird

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

They already have what they want, very few teams think they can realistically get him and most basically feel it would be a waste of time...what is going to do, make a few cuts or something?

Due dillegence and all?

4 minutes ago, White Linen said:

He didn’t need to. Crushed the combine. I’ll be surprised if Denzel Ward works out at OSU tomorrow. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He didn’t need to. Crushed the combine. I’ll be surprised if Denzel Ward works out at OSU tomorrow. 

I get that. But don't teams want to see him work? Regardless of past performances? Seems like a work ethic thing, at the least. Idk... He was scheduled to perform, and then didnt

Edited by BuffAlone

4 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I get that. But don't teams want to see him work? Regardless of past performances? Seems like a work ethic thing, at the least. Idk... He was scheduled to perform, and then didnt

No I don’t think they care. Pro days are more for the guys who didn’t do everything at the combine for whatever reason and guys who didn’t get invited to the combine. If the combine workout was complete and the player is satisfied, they won’t work out at pro day or may only do certain things. I think his reasoning was odd but the decision wasn’t.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

No I don’t think they care. 

So you're telling me that NFL execs don't care if a potential high 1st round pick backs out of a predetermined and scheduled workout because no position coach is in attendance? I call BS on that notion. They All wanna see All they can from Every prospect, let alone a potential top 10

4 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

So you're telling me that NFL execs don't care if a potential high 1st round pick backs out of a predetermined and scheduled workout because no position coach is in attendance? I call BS on that notion. They All wanna see All they can from Every prospect, let alone a potential top 10

Not in this case. If a team wants to draft him they will hold a private workout.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not in this case

Really? Absolute due diligence in every instance but This one? Maybe he's already got the gold jacket then lol.

Personally, I think it hurt him. Of ALL position groups, RB's are a dime a dozen. With this lackadaisical attitude, this leaves as lasting an impression as his combine performance, imo. But thanks. I just wondered what others thought

10 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I don’t think this would change a teams mind about drafting him.  He’s special. 

Just now, BuffAlone said:

Really? Absolute due diligence in every instance but This one? Maybe he's already got the gold jacket then lol.

Personally, I think it hurt him. Of ALL position groups, RB's are a dime a dozen. With this lackadaisical attitude, this leaves as lasting an impression as his combine performance, imo. But thanks. I just wondered what others thought

You are completely overreacting 

3 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Does it? Link?

Yeah go through the years. You will see players staying in Combine numbers and doing interviews only etc etc

quick google search

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2016/03/ex-rutgers_receiver_leonte_carroo_skips_pro_day_as.amp

lee skipping 40

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ocregister.com/2014/03/12/on-track-for-first-round-of-draft-lee-skips-40-at-pro-day/amp/

Trent Richardson screwed the Combine and still skipped Proday went on his tape only

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bucsnation.com/platform/amp/2012/3/6/2850116/2012-nfl-draft-trent-richardson-skips-alabama-pro-day-after-failing

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

You are completely overreacting 

I'm not trying to. I apologize. I just wonder if its normal

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah go through the years. You will see players staying in Combine numbers and doing interviews only etc etc

I understand numbers. But I cannot recall a single instance that somebody this highly rated did not even present himself at his own pro day, regardless of participation in drills. He completely avoided it to every aspect of it after it was scheduled

10 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm not trying to. I apologize. I just wonder if its normal

I understand numbers. But I cannot recall a single instance that somebody this highly rated did not even present himself at his own pro day, regardless of participation in drills. He completely avoided it to every aspect of it after it was scheduled

http://www.wdsu.com/article/leonard-fournette-skips-most-of-lsu-pro-day-but-satisfied-with-performance/9238070

Fournette skipped most of it. 

And for the record it isnt HIS Proday. It is Penn ST Proday. 

So he didnt go. I am sure if someone wanted to talk with him he would have. Way over reaction he will be gone in the top 5. 

Not to mention if Scouts want to work him out they will have Private workouts 

now all that said I still would not touch a RB in top part of draft

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

http://www.wdsu.com/article/leonard-fournette-skips-most-of-lsu-pro-day-but-satisfied-with-performance/9238070

Fournette skipped most of it. 

And for the record it isnt HIS Proday. It is Penn ST Proday. 

So he didnt go. I am sure if someone wanted to talk with him he would have. Way over reaction he will be gone in the top 5. 

I know it wasn't "his". And thanks for the links?

I know it wasn't "his". And thanks for the links?

Just like the Bowl Games i think you are going to see more and more of these players skip these underwear workouts as well. And only do Combine, if they nail it skip all Proday risk to body 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Just like the Bowl Games i think you are going to see more and more of these players skip these underwear workouts as well. 

Probably so. I just thought it odd that he didn't make himself available for any of it. No interviews. No handshakes. No meet n greet. Still don't see him as a top 10 pick tho. Too many QB hungry teams, and elite Defensive talent for him to go that high

Just now, BuffAlone said:

Probably so. I just thought it odd that he didn't make himself available for any of it. No interviews. No handshakes. No meet n greet. Still don't see him as a top 10 pick tho. Too many QB hungry teams, and elite Defensive talent for him to go that high

Well with no coaches coming why be there. I am sure he was available and if a team said they wanted to talk with him he would have. 

There isnt a RB i would ever take in the top 10 positional value just way to low 

Ain't that why they all want to see him again? And again? And again?

No... they have film. They have workouts. Workouts match film.

wanting to see him and needing to see him at the pro day are two different things. They can fill in any blanks at private team visits, interviews, etc.

Edited by YoloinOhio

No... they have film. They have workouts. Workouts match film.

I guess "no stone unturned" just means ok, we've seen enough then. 

I'm not trying to push the issue so much of him not performing, as I thought it was weird he distanced himself from the whole ordeal entirely I guess. 

So, he Was there, available on the sideline, supporting his teammates. He said, " since nobody came for me, I decided to sit out. Although I feel like I could have done better than the combine". 

Is he really that good that he could have outperformed the combine? And make himself a shoo-in? 

If it was me, I'd have gone through the entire gambit, proving I'm a top 10 talent

So, he Was there, available on the sideline, supporting his teammates. He said, " since nobody came for me, I decided to sit out. Although I feel like I could have done better than the combine". 

Is he really that good that he could have outperformed the combine? And make himself a shoo-in? 

If it was me, I'd have gone through the entire gambit, proving I'm a top 10 talent

Yes he had one of the most impressive combine performances of record

He won't last past #4 unless four QB's go in the first four picks.  So that leaves two teams that need to see him. He will have private workouts for Browns and NY Giants.  Jets are taking a QB.  Bills if they move up are taking a QB. Denver and Colts are taking defense.  

6 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

He won't last past #4 unless four QB's go in the first four picks.  So that leaves two teams that need to see him. He will have private workouts for Browns and NY Giants.  Jets are taking a QB.  Bills if they move up are taking a QB. Denver and Colts are taking defense.  

Barkley won't go top 5. I'm willing to put money on it. In fact, he won't go top 7. Any takers?

53 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm going to tell you why you might not have.

Back a few years ago I was hanging around after a Bills camp. Buddy Nix and a few coaches came back to the field with two running backs. They were backup level talent and the Bills needed somebody. So they were running them through drills and one of them went down grimacing in pain and clutching his knee. That was it for him. I am not sure if they even gave him a bus ticket home.

Now let's say you are Barkely. You are at the finish line. If nothing goes wrong, you will get say, a 28 million dollar rookie deal.

Would you go out there and run around for coaches who didn't even bother to show up?

The way I see it Barkley was there. The teams weren't. I wouldn't have done it either because a knee goes out and there goes my 28 million bucks.

49 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Barkley won't go top 5. I'm willing to put money on it. In fact, he won't go top 7. Any takers?

Yeah. I think he will go 6th at the lowest.

But I will bet ya that he does not make it to 8.

In fact if he makes it to 8 or 9 I will lose happily because then I am about positive I will get to watch him at Bills camp this summer.

I'll send you little videos so you can watch him work out there, to make up for what you missed :)

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Because he has nowhere to go but down. He's said to be the best prospect in decades. Why would you do anything to convince anyone otherwise? Rookie cap in place, no reason to mess around and potentially hurt yourself.

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Why would he participate?   If you believe the hype, he has nowhere to go but down. 

I'm not wondering about not participating - I understand that and that's completely normal.  My question was why did he go with no RB coaches were present as the reason?  I never heard that before.