Doubting which qb to pick? What about Wonderlic?

drf1835

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nfl-quarterback-wonderlic-scores-matter-a-great-deal-042417/

The info in that above link makes a pretty good argument, that there should be st least some relevance and importance  to the Wonderlic test. Of course there has been shown to be exceptions to the rules, as shown there and noted,  as a few that scored low are Hall of Famers, and some that scored high are journeyman or below average, but lots of  those qbs  with scores  27 and 28 AND ABOVE were and are more successful at playing and higher rated in the nfl  than those with scores at 26 and lower, with many of those qbs performing poorer. The average of qb scores was 24. The super bowl winning qbs the last ten years supposedly averaged between 30 and around 32. I am wondering if the Bills will factor in or scrutinize the scores of the 2018 prospects?  If so, an educated guess based on other info I read about Rosen and intelligence, is that he could score high. Not sure about the others though. Much physical talent plus high Wonderlic score could reduce the risk of failure, or in some cases the  above average talent could be because of that great cognitive abilities, which compensated for any physical shortcomings. In other cases, tremendous physical talent can prevail despite any less ability to think quickly in a cognitive or logical way. Who knows. It was interesting to read though, as there seems to be at least some correlation between high Wonderlic score and likelihood of nfl long term success. 

3 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Did you know Fitz went to Harvard and got a perfect score and Dan Marino  only got a 17?

Any elite QBs from recent era score under a 20?     A good QB doesn't need to be a bookworm,  but still needs to be able to read a playbook and process information quickly on the field.       

Who knows what they consider an “executive” but as a group they average a 28.  Point is that they are not the smartest people in the room, on average.  

BTW 20 is average across a large population and 50 is the highest score attainable.

Since 2000, every QB with a Wonderlic score below 16 has been - at best - a lower-tier starter/solid backup.

This isn't Marino/Kelly or Bradshaw era football anymore.

Sixteen or higher is the goal.

9 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Did you know Fitz went to Harvard and got a perfect score and Dan Marino  only got a 17?

Fitz only got a 48. The player with a perfect score remains Pat McInally in '75. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Been beating this drum here for years and years. Don't need to read it. A 22 is as low a reported score for a SB winning QB as there is (Favre). So if you want a SB, think above a 22. You can get to the playoffs with less but you are not likely to win it. This is not a point that over 22 guarantees you win one, but the contrary, that beneath guarantees you won't. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Fitz only got a 48. The player with a perfect score remains Pat McInally in '75. 

In Fitz's defense he left 1 blank, perhaps on purpose. You don't want your QB to be too smart, as we are seeing with Josh Rosen!

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Since 2000, every QB with a Wonderlic score below 16 has been - at best - a lower-tier starter/solid backup.

This isn't Marino/Kelly or Bradshaw era football anymore.

Sixteen or higher is the goal.

Seems like there was a recent pro bowl QB who only had 15 on it but I can't think of his name.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

In Fitz's defense he left 1 blank, perhaps on purpose. You don't want your QB to be too smart, as we are seeing with Josh Rosen!

I want my QB to be the smartest guy in the room. Doesn't mean he can't be a ball buster, though. 

But football isn't exactly quantum physics, so a QB doesn't need to be a genius to succeed, anyway. Kelly and Marino were hardly keen intellects, but they new how to read a safety. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Seems like there was a recent pro bowl QB who only had 15 on it but I can't think of his name.

I'm sure he was well-deserving to take part in a meaningless game that the NFL's best players pretty much refuse to play in.

• Like (+1) 1

The Wonderlic's primary benefit is to Wonderlic's wallet.

And it mainly measures the NFL's lack of knowledge about psychological testing.

I'm not saying it is totally useless. But it is way more likely to be wrong about somebody's intellect than even just speaking to them for 15 minutes.

Or sometimes even 1 minute. I talked to Kyle Williams once for about 30 seconds before I knew the guy is brilliant.

• Like (+1) 1