Doubting which qb to pick? What about Wonderlic?

drf1835

37 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Seems like there was a recent pro bowl QB who only had 15 on it but I can't think of his name.

plays for the brownies now?

whoa, I mean pro bowl caliber. that I must say is impressive to say the least.

those 3 points in the wildcard game, that was some real pro bowl worthy stuff wasn't it?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

I scored 35 on a Wonderlic two years ago and I'm a free agent.

Pick me, Beane!

Tell the whole truth that you took the test two times. On the first test you scored 17 and then on the second try you improved to 18. You may not be fully forthright but at least you are moving in the right direction. :)

1 hour ago, turftoe said:

Jim Kelly 15

Ryan Fitzpatrick 48

Who was the better Bills' QB?

I’ve been a clinical psychologist for nearly 40 years and I have given, at least, over 1000 intelligence test. I’ve never given the Wonderlic because it is used primarily in industrial/organizational psychology.  However,  Wonderlic  scores do correlate highly with more comprehensive IQ testing which is why it is used for personal decisions. So it makes sense that the NFL uses it. It also can be administered in groups which is very efficient. 

A Score of 20 on the Wonderlic  equates to a score of 100 on more comprehensive IQ test like the  Wechsler which is average. If Kelly got a score of 15 that would equate to “low average” intelligence which  is interesting given his career.  My guess is the NFL uses it just as a weeding out device. Although I do wonder how low the score goes before a red flag pops up. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Did you know Fitz went to Harvard and got a perfect score and Dan Marino  only got a 17?

Fitz wasn't quite perfect - 48 out of a possible 50.  Nobody ever said that a high wonderlic score is the end all be all.  There have been great QBs who scored low and meh QBs who scored high.  In general, however, it's better to have a good score than not.

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Fitz wasn't quite perfect - 48 out of a possible 50.  Nobody ever said that a high wonderlic score is the end all be all.  There have been great QBs who scored low and meh QBs who scored high.  In general, however, it's better to have a good score than not.

Well and simply said.  Agreed.

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

I’ve been a clinical psychologist for nearly 40 years and I have given, at least, over 1000 intelligence test. I’ve never given the Wonderlic because it is used primarily in industrial/organizational psychology.  However,  Wonderlic  scores do correlate highly with more comprehensive IQ testing which is why it is used for personal decisions. So it makes sense that the NFL uses it. It also can be administered in groups which is very efficient. 

A Score of 20 on the Wonderlic  equates to a score of 100 on more comprehensive IQ test like the  Wechsler which is average. If Kelly got a score of 15 that would equate to “low average” intelligence which  is interesting given his career.  My guess is the NFL uses it just as a weeding out device. Although I do wonder how low the score goes before a red flag pops up. 

Hi. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

May I ask the following? You are the Bills (or any) GM, but you still know what you know about testing. You are looking for our next franchise quarterback. 

Would You use the Wonderlick data as part of your rankings to help you choose?

I reserve the right to challenge your answer :)