Trent Murphy and Star Lutulelei listed among worst free agent deals of 2018 - Per Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

No - when we signed Dareus they all said those things. And just like this board everyone said they are just haters and dont know jack. 

I think most Bills fans were of the belief that Marcel had just been dealt several horrible hands in life, and were hoping or assuming he'd eventually get past that. On the field, he was dominant, and the Bills paid him for that. 

Essentially, these people are simply making predictions based on what we've all seen. Its up to the players to prove them wrong. Dareus didn't. Star and Murphy may. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Per Rosenthal on NFL.com.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922026/article/worst-freeagency-deals-case-keenum-jordy-nelson-overpriced

As a side note it is amazing how thin “journalism” is today.  This “news article” probably took a a total of 20 minutes to put together.  The only facts in it would be easily discovered.  This is simply yet another opinion piece, like much of the rest of the B.S. you find out on the internet.  

I do like Star, but hate his contract. It was clever to make the biggest cap hit 2019, but I still hate that 5 year deal.

The complaints about Murphy are pretty dumb, though; especially since the Bills game themselves an "opt-out" after every season. I really like the Murphy signing because the cieling is so high, amd we can just cut bait after 2018 if he doesn't bounce back from injury, or can't play well without the PEDs (like Merriman)....

I was alittle bit surprised when Beane mentioned that Star would be a 2.5 down player.  That kind of money he should be on the field all the time.  Not in love with paying a bunch of money to one guy when you rotate as much as they do.

Whatever,  i am no expert only time will tell on these guys.

I do like Trent however.  His training is like Rocky IV.  

Edited by kota

39 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

If Star blows up, and Murphy flops, your opinion will change. Only time will tell if these are good deals or not.

Yeah, things can change, sure. Until then all we can go on is their current body of work in the present. Nothing about Star's career warrants 10 million per.

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yeah, things can change, sure. Until then all we can go on is their current body of work in the present. Nothing about Star's career warrants 10 million per.

Again, the same was said for Poyer and the deal the Bills gave him last year.  Let's wait and see.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, the same was said for Poyer and the deal the Bills gave him last year.  Let's wait and see.

One is being paid top 15 money at the position, the other is 36th highest paid at his position.

There is a very big difference. Poyer exceeded expectations, Star is going to have expectations to live up to

These are not the same situations.

The big question is if Murhpy's breakout 9-sack year was the product of PED use or not. Even if it was, they left themselves an out after one year with minimal future damage, which makes the contract reasonable.

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

The big question is if Murhpy's breakout 9-sack year was the product of PED use or not. Even if it was, they left themselves an out after one year with minimal future damage, which makes the contract reasonable.

Is it weird that the PED stuff doesn't really bother me in football but I absolutely hate it in baseball? 

I think most of it in football is guys trying to get back from injuries ala Andy Pettite. It is not straight cheating in my mind. I know i'm wrong but I just feel differently about it. 

33 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

One is being paid top 15 money at the position, the other is 36th highest paid at his position.

There is a very big difference. Poyer exceeded expectations, Star is going to have expectations to live up to

These are not the same situations.

That's the "wait and see" part I was talking about.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree on Murphy.  The contract the Bills did with him is a very good one.  He is basically guaranteed his 2018 money and is a nice fit for the scheme.  They can get out after 2018 with limited dead money and then some 2019 money guarantees if he makes the team.  Looking at it as a $22.5m contract will give you a warped picture of the reality.  

On Star I have more sympathy for the view that the Bills overpaid for an average player.  I think they did.  He knows the scheme, they were desperate at D Tackle after they traded Dareus and it became a perfect storm that Star has taken advantage of to get a big deal.  

This is where I'm at as well. I just don't get paying Star that much money. He's just not worth it.

7 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Can't argue with that. They were both poor signings. 

*Rose colored glasses off*

They very well could be.  Bills fans refuse to see the glass as anything but half full.

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Wow!  I'm one of many who have pictures of him from Bourbon St.

• Like (+1) 1

Seems a little early to be calling ANY free agent signing the best or worst. 

It will all depend on how each guy plays next season and what type of impact they have on their team.

If the Bills go from the bottom 5 in the NFL in run defense and sacks, to the top 5-10 and Star + Murphy both play a huge role in that, will Rosenthal be saying they were bad signings then? 

But Greg Rosenthal has a quota to meet, so he has to write an article about something...

Somehting else -

It's especially surprising when a superior version of the same player, Marcell Dareus, was just shipped out of Buffalo.

While they may both play the role of stuffing runs and eating double teams, they are polar opposites, personality wise. 

Star is very well known for being a totally selfless, 100% team first guy. His teammates have raved about him (like Luke Keuchley, Kawann Short etc).

Choosing to pay Star sends a MUCH different message than choosing to continue paying Dareus. Paying star sends the message that we value selfless team first guys, and guys who aren't going to be out at the club drinking and doing drugs, being chronically late to meetings etc. 

And Dareus still has a higher cap hit than Star even though that cap hit is being split between the Bills and Jags. Had he stayed in Buffalo, Dareus IIRC would count $16M against the cap this year (or something around there). 

Edited by BillsFan4

Never thought much of Rosenthal. Who gives a !@#$%^& what he writes. Time will tell but the need was obvious. Personally, I like the Star signing (although I agree we paid a bit much) & I think Murphy still has room to improve & has a great attitude.