House Money: Why Beane will trade up & you should be fine with it

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're seriously underpaying if you think that's how we get to #2.

I just think that won't get it done.

Yeah I think that's about right. Might need to throw in a 4th rounder this year, though.

A GM should do his HW and draft a QB in the top of the draft assuming, based on your scouting, that he's going to be a future HOFer. You don't refuse to go after that QB simply because the historical odds are he won't.

Perspective check:

1. How often do you think HOF -caliber QBs are available in the draft?  Are you saying tha a team should not draft a QB high in round 1 if they think that he will be good, but not necessarily a HOFer?

2. If you think the Bills can get to the 2nd pick, are there 2 certain HOF QBs in this draft?

Edited by OldTimer1960

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Perspective check:

1. How often do you think HOF -caliber QBs are available in the draft?  Are you saying tha a team should not draft a QB high in round 1 if they think that he will be good, but not necessarily a HOFer?

2. If you think the Bills can get to the 2nd pick, are there 2 certain HOF QBs in this draft?

I would say that technically they all are since very few players make it in to the league without going through the draft. So technically, all HOF QBs were at one time available through the draft..........

But I know what your saying (and just making a joke)  that not its not often that the early QBs drafted in the draft end up as HOFers. For every HOF QB drafted in the top 10 of the draft, you can probably count 10 that won't make it or flopped.

The key to all of this is that to trade away the assetts that are most likely necessary for the Bills to move up this year, does anyone feel that any of the top 4 are future HOFers or in the elite category of starting QBs? Cause if not, then thats alot to give up for a QB

On 3/19/2018 at 5:57 PM, napmaster said:

So if all of those picks are House Money and expendable then take this approach with the draft:

#12 Lamar Jackson
#22 Mason Rudolph
#53 Luke Falk
#56 Kyle Lauletta

It's the same net result with 0 positon player help.  Bet on the field as none of the Core 4 are can't miss prospects.

LOL this has just a bit of insane logic to it...

5 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Perspective check:

To the first question, you search for the best player in every draft at the time you're drafting. If you're drafting at the top of that draft... yeah, you're drafting a guy who you think could be a HOFer.

Top of the draft yields more HOFers than any other area of the draft, plain and simple. Between 1936-1997 there were 111 former 1st round draft picks inducted into the HOF.  31% of all those guys were drafted as the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd picks of the draft. 12% of all those guys were the 1st overall pick.

To the 2nd question, that's not my job, that's Beane's job.

On 3/19/2018 at 4:59 PM, Real McCoy said:

If it's for their guy then go for it. I think we might trade up to 7-10 to get our guy though for a fraction.

Problem is we don't know who "the guy" is?

Wasn’t Zay Jones their guy last year? Or was he a Whaley pick?

Step 1)  Find out who Cleveland is hopeful to get at 4

Step 2) Find out what non-QB the Giants want

Step 3) Tell Cleveland the Giants are taking their guy

Step 4)  Trade with Cleveland

Step 5) Tell the Giant they still get the same exact guy at 4 as 2, but get to screw the Jets

Step 6) Profit

36 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Step 1)  Find out who Cleveland is hopeful to get at 4

Step 2) Find out what non-QB the Giants want

Step 3) Tell Cleveland the Giants are taking their guy

Step 4)  Trade with Cleveland

Step 5) Tell the Giant they still get the same exact guy at 4 as 2, but get to screw the Jets

Step 6) Profit

I think the Browns are taking Darnold, particularly after what looked like a potentially historic pro-day for him, which is a shame because he and Mayfield are the 2 QBs I want most.

There is only 1 QB that I really like from this draft and that's Mayfield. Darnold would be the only other QB I might trade up for if Mayfield is drafted by the Browns. I think Rosen, Allen, Rudolph and Jackson all have major flaws, one or two will be a surprise drop out of the 1st rd.

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

There is only 1 QB that I really like from this draft and that's Mayfield. Darnold would be the only other QB I might trade up for if Mayfield is drafted by the Browns. I think Rosen, Allen, Rudolph and Jackson all have major flaws, one or two will be a surprise drop out of the 1st rd.

Well this is a nice surprise... you and I prioritize the QBs in this class in almost exactly the same way :thumbsup:

Ya know I really think this just needs to happen soon. Sweetening the pot for the Giants offering both of our 1sts and both of our 2nds should do it.

Or if Darnold is truly the guy we covet, add next year's 1st and this year's 3rd to that pot for the Browns at #1.

Though ideally we wait until draft day and watch Mayfield slide out of the top 5 and just throw both of our 1sts to the Colts in a trade up to 6...

but damn... this waiting is gonna kill me!!!

28 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ya know I really think this just needs to happen soon. Sweetening the pot for the Giants offering both of our 1sts and both of our 2nds should do it.

Or if Darnold is truly the guy we covet, add next year's 1st and this year's 3rd to that pot for the Browns at #1.

Though ideally we wait until draft day and watch Mayfield slide out of the top 5 and just throw both of our 1sts to the Colts in a trade up to 6...

but damn... this waiting is gonna kill me!!!

I will be amazed if CLE trades out of 1. It honestly is near impossible, their fan base would kill them...

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

I will be amazed if CLE trades out of 1. It honestly is near impossible, their fan base would kill them...

Dorsey could almost justify the move if he truly likes a QB other than Darnold like Allen or Mayfield a lot considering he's still got the 4th pick and he'd pick up 2 more 1st rounders this year alone :flirt: