Can we step off the ledge yet?

Virgil

After the Jets trade yesterday, I feel like everyone should have the sharp objects removed from their homes.  I get it, the Jets are going to get a top QB and the Browns won't trade #1.

Beane was being praised just 48 hours ago for the TT and Glenn trade.  His FA moves were solid and needed.  The draft is over a month away.  

If we really want to jump to #2, we can still do that and it's not that painful.  If Beane thinks the guy we want needs to be drafted that high, we can drop both 1st's this year and our 1st next year to jump up the 10 spots.  If needed, we can throw in a 2nd or 3rd to create the same overpay the Jets did.  We would still have three pics left in the top 3 rounds.  Beane can easily get starting positions out of those.  And in the grand scheme of things, we will then have our Franchise QB and the 2 extra picks we gave up with be nothing in hindsight.  

I'm just saying, this isn't the end of days.  If we wanted Rosen, #2 was probably always the plan.  Darnold was probably off the table with Cleveland.  Whoever the Jets don't take, Rosen or Mayfield (Allen is the dream).  The question really is Denver.  If they are open for business, then they aren't going QB and one of those two will fall and it won't cost must of anything to trade up if we are worried about someone else jumping in front of us (Arizona).  

End of the day, we still have options that don't cripple us and I don't think the Jets did anything that wasn't expected.  

For the optimists, think this way.  What if Darnold goes 1st and Allen goes to the Jets.  Rosen or Mayfield could drop to 12 maybe if the Broncos are good with Keenum, which they might be after that deal.  

Let's just take some breaths

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I dunno man. I need a hug. This has really taken the wind from my sails and has me really bummed out.

I'm trying to reserve myself until after I see how the draft actually shakes out. But if Beane doesnt get to #2, then this feels like "Same Ol Bills"....

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dunno man. I need a hug. This has really taken the wind from my sails and has me really bummed out.

I'm trying to reserve myself until after I see how the draft actually shakes out. But if Beane doesnt get to #2, then this feels like "Same Ol Bills"....

I feel the exact same way. ?

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

...seriously?....McBeane to #2?...pick your poison, the Ledge or Peace Bridge.....

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

#QBpurgatoryforever

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Same Ol Bills, but with A lot of draft picks in the top 100. Instead of purging picks for a move up for a WR, we purged players for picks.That WONT be spent on positions of lesser needs....I'm still very confident in Beane, and his plan. 6 weeks can't pass soon enough. Hate to wish my time away, but April is otherwise slow & uneventful in my household anyway lol

For all we know, they like both Rosen and Mayfield and the Jets jumped up for nothing. Hell, the Broncos could jump to #2 and they could take Rosen, Darnold, and Allen. 

We just have no idea 

The only thing I take solace in at this point is that I find it hard to believe that the Bills were caught off guard by what happened yesterday.  There was no way that the Bills didn't know that trade was happening or that the Jets were trying to move up.  It's not like the Colts and the Jets were keeping a big secret from the rest of the league.

I am sure the Bills were called by the Colts, told of the trade and asked if the Bills wanted to beat the offer or needed to work to beat the offer.  The Colts would have been dumb not to call every team in the league asking teams if they wanted to beat the Jets offer.  With the reports that the Jets called about #1 as well, the Bills were well aware of what was happening.  And, in the end, the Bills must have decided to let the Jets go ahead with the move because there is no doubt that they had a lot more assets to offer than the Jets did.  Even if the Colts told the Bills they didn't want to drop out of the top 10 or so, the Bills could have easily told them to sit tight, put a package together to get a little higher than 12, and then make their own deal with the Colts.  But, the Bills obviously didn't want to do that for whatever reason.

I don't know why the Bills didn't want to get involved in that yesterday.  They must have their reasons and maybe we'll find out why over the next few weeks.  Maybe they have a deal in principle with the Browns or Giants already.  Maybe, and not saying I agree with it, the have Jackson as their top rated QB and believe that they can get him at 12 and don't have to move.  I don't know.

The one thing I do know is that the Bills were well aware of what was going on with that trade yesterday......probably for days before it happened and they decided to let it happen without putting up a fight.  Why.....hopefully we find out sometime soon.  But I guarantee they weren't shocked hearing the news.

In my ideal world at this point, Darnold, and Allen are the QBs that come off the board early, the Giants and Denver decide to pass on a QB allowing Rosen and Mayfield to slip to the back half of the top 10. Then, once they slip out of the top 5-6, the Bills make the move for their guy only giving up a fraction of what they would have to in order to get to 2.  Although unlikely, it could happen.  But, at this point, this would be the ideal scenario.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Does it still feel that way if the Bills don't move to 2, keep most of what they would have spent and end up with Baker Mayfield if he slides? 

Point is no one knows how draft night will play out. We could move to 2, 5, 6, 7 or whatever and get the guy we like. We could stay put and get several guys we like. 

"Same old Bills" would have been stuck with no opportunity to move. This year the options are there if the value is right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

:cry:

9 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Does it still feel that way if the Bills don't move to 2, keep most of what they would have spent and end up with Baker Mayfield if he slides? 

Point is no one knows how draft night will play out. We could move to 2, 5, 6, 7 or whatever and get the guy we like. We could stay put and get several guys we like. 

"Same old Bills" would have been stuck with no opportunity to move. This year the options are there if the value is right.

Yes. If that happens then this is just 2004 all over again. I dont want to settle on the 2nd-tier leftovers. I want Rothlisberger, not Losman.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The only thing I take solace in at this point is that I find it hard to believe that the Bills were caught off guard by what happened yesterday.  There was no way that the Bills didn't know that trade was happening or that the Jets were trying to move up.  It's not like the Colts and the Jets were keeping a big secret from the rest of the league.

I am sure the Bills were called by the Colts, told of the trade and asked if the Bills wanted to beat the offer or needed to work to beat the offer.  The Colts would have been dumb not to call every team in the league asking teams if they wanted to beat the Jets offer.  With the reports that the Jets called about #1 as well, the Bills were well aware of what was happening.  And, in the end, the Bills must have decided to let the Jets go ahead with the move because there is no doubt that they had a lot more assets to offer than the Jets did.  Even if the Colts told the Bills they didn't want to drop out of the top 10 or so, the Bills could have easily told them to sit tight, put a package together to get a little higher than 12, and then make their own deal with the Colts.  But, the Bills obviously didn't want to do that for whatever reason.

I don't know why the Bills didn't want to get involved in that yesterday.  They must have their reasons and maybe we'll find out why over the next few weeks.  Maybe they have a deal in principle with the Browns or Giants already.  Maybe, and not saying I agree with it, the have Jackson as their top rated QB and believe that they can get him at 12 and don't have to move.  I don't know.

The one thing I do know is that the Bills were well aware of what was going on with that trade yesterday......probably for days before it happened and they decided to let it happen without putting up a fight.  Why.....hopefully we find out sometime soon.  But I guarantee they weren't shocked hearing the news.

All of this is plausible.  I don't have your certitude, but I hope it's right.  If it is, they have a plan to get to number two or they think their fella will be available in a shorter trade up (say 7 with the Bucs) or at 12.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes. If that happens then this is just 2004 all over again. I dont want to settle on the 2nd-tier leftovers. I want Rothlisberger, not Losman.

I am terrified of this happening. It is like watching a train wreck happen in slow motion, that you know is going to happen, and you have no way of stopping it...

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

All of this is plausible.  I don't have your certitude, but I hope it's right.  If it is, they have a plan to get to number two or they think their fella will be available in a shorter trade up (say 7 with the Bucs) or at 12.

Like I said above, maybe the Bills have a firm grasp on what the the Giants, Jets, and Broncos are planning to do.

Ideally, Darnold, and Allen are the QBs that come off the board early to the Browns and Jets.  Then, the Giants and Denver decide to pass on a QB allowing Rosen and Mayfield to slip to the back half of the top 10. From there, once they slip out of the top 5-6, the Bills make the move for their guy in the 7-9 range (making sure the Dolphins or Cards don't get any ideas) only giving up a fraction of what they would have to in order to get to 2. 

Although unlikely, it could happen.  But, at this point, this would be the ideal scenario.  If this turns out to be the case, give Beane GM of the decade now......

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

The solace that I'm talking myself into is, it's possible Beane knows #2 is in play, and that teams only have the draft capital to make 1 move into the top 3. So when offered a chance at #3, he passed, knowing that #2 is the real target and the plan is in motion.

oh please, oh please...

33 minutes ago, Virgil said:

After the Jets trade yesterday, I feel like everyone should have the sharp objects removed from their homes.  I get it, the Jets are going to get a top QB and the Browns won't trade #1.

Beane was being praised just 48 hours ago for the TT and Glenn trade.  His FA moves were solid and needed.  The draft is over a month away.  

If we really want to jump to #2, we can still do that and it's not that painful.  If Beane thinks the guy we want needs to be drafted that high, we can drop both 1st's this year and our 1st next year to jump up the 10 spots.  If needed, we can throw in a 2nd or 3rd to create the same overpay the Jets did.  We would still have three pics left in the top 3 rounds.  Beane can easily get starting positions out of those.  And in the grand scheme of things, we will then have our Franchise QB and the 2 extra picks we gave up with be nothing in hindsight.  

I'm just saying, this isn't the end of days.  If we wanted Rosen, #2 was probably always the plan.  Darnold was probably off the table with Cleveland.  Whoever the Jets don't take, Rosen or Mayfield (Allen is the dream).  The question really is Denver.  If they are open for business, then they aren't going QB and one of those two will fall and it won't cost must of anything to trade up if we are worried about someone else jumping in front of us (Arizona).  

End of the day, we still have options that don't cripple us and I don't think the Jets did anything that wasn't expected.  

For the optimists, think this way.  What if Darnold goes 1st and Allen goes to the Jets.  Rosen or Mayfield could drop to 12 maybe if the Broncos are good with Keenum, which they might be after that deal.  

Let's just take some breaths

I think 4 is still in play as well.  All this teeth nashing and panic is a bit comical. You know who is not panicking?  Beane, bescause he knows the plan and the options and we do not.  No one should be surprised the Jets moved up.  It could certainly be argued moving up to 3 this early only would have left the option open for the Jets to move to 2. Now the Jets are committed, have no capital left, and the Bills are not.  Relax.