Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

On 3/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills should make every effort to jump up to the #2 pick to get their guy. 

Either #2, #4, or #5. I don't necessarily think we need to go to #2, unless they really have their mind on the QB they know the jets will take.

I am good picking ANY of the BIG 4. The Jets deployed the strategy of "oh, its not worth it for that QB" for years and instead went other position needs or settled on a later round QB. Now they're desperate. 

Mahomes, Watson, Wentz, Goff, even the bears. Teams have found their QBs. This is a passing league today, not the run and pound game of the past.

Plus, Mcdermotts draft was super successful. Now he has Beane....we should have faith in their QB evaluations. I wouldn't worry, Daboll would not have taken the OC position if they didn't give him a choice at QB. They will draft someone, and Daboll much preferred benching Jalen Hurts (athletic, inaccurate QB)...so i doubt Jackson is even an option.

Edited by BillsMafioso
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here it is again!

The only reason they shouldn't do something like this is if they really do want to take a QB. Otherwise, snagging Clevelands 4, even at the cost of 2 means they net a bunch of picks, and STILL get the guy they wanted because Browns/Bills/Jets are going QB.

Its a situation that works for everyone except the Browns may need a little sweetener cause Beckham won't be cheap.

Edited by What a Tuel

On 3/28/2018 at 5:52 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Just saw that - it would be a staggering way to rebuild their team...as long as we got #2 of course!

The NFLN scenario is best-case for their franchise. They could come away from 2 trades with 3 first round picks and multiple second and third rounders. It would be foolish not to do this, they could completely remake their team in a single offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Rex literally knows no one making calls in this organization anymore: not the GM, not the owner, not the assistant GM or any of the scouting department. His opinion is as well informed as the people on this board. 

That is all he's offering. 

From Peter King's MMQB piece today:

8. I think it’s not probable but certain possible to think that the Giants could make two trades before the draft: with the Rams for Odell Beckham Jr., and with Buffalo for the second pick in the draft. Let’s say New York did that. And let’s say New York, in return, got two first-round picks from the Rams and three first-round picks from Buffalo. Three? Three! For Buffalo to move from 12 to two in this year’s first round, and to get a top quarterback prospects, the Bills, I believe, would have to deal the 12th and 22nd picks this year, plus their first-rounder next year. How interesting would that be? It would give the Giants quantity, and allow them to own the next two first rounds. As you see here:

• In 2018, the Giants would have Buffalo’s 12th and 22nd overall picks, and the Rams’ 23rd. So three picks in the top 23.

• In 2019, the Giants would have their own first-round pick, Buffalo’s first-round pick, and the Rams’ first-round pick.

Obviously, in order for the Giants to even consider doing these deals, they’d have to believe they could eschew a drafted quarterback this year and Eli Manning would give them two more strong years (he’s slipped in recent seasons), and they’d have to have a willing partner in the Bills. Buffalo would have to be willing to denude the top of its next two drafts to get the quarterback it wants. I don’t expect both things to happen, but the Giants could do something historic this year.  

I'll support the organization if they do this because I believe they have earned the right for that trust but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.  I much would rather try to trade with either Cleveland/Denver/Indy and give up considerably less.  

3 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Several general managers I spoke to believe there is still ample opportunity for the Giants and Bills to make a move – Bills general manager Brandon Beane worked under Gettleman in Carolina for a spell – and no one is convinced that the Bills are done wheeling and dealing.

"Brandon is trying like hell to get up and get a quarterback," said one general manager who has spoken to Beane recently. "I'm convinced he'll trade up twice more if he has to. It reminds me of (Eagles general manager) Howie (Roseman) a few years ago (when he was moving up to land Carson Wentz)."

Of course. Gettleman isn't interested in dropping all the way back to 12th overall, where the Bills currently sit after their trade with the Bengals. But if Beane can split the difference somewhat, then odds are quite good the Bills and Giants could be trade partners. If, say, the Broncos aren't convinced there is a quarterback worth taking at the fifth spot, that would be a perfect launching point for Beane. And that would be a sweetspot for Gettleman.

"If Beane gets the five, I know he can get to two," said the general manager who has been in contact with Beane.

• Thank you (+1) 1