Regardless of QB pick, the Bills will be ok. Here's why.

LA Grant

Like many of you, the only QB that I don't want is Josh Allen, who seems to be in that mold of EJ Manuel where he's "got all the tools" but seems incapable of getting the job done with regard to consistent accuracy. Here's my preferences of the QB class, to be upfront.

1. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. Mayfield

4. Jackson

5. Allen 

HOWEVER, I think the Bills will be good with WHOEVER they choose among those, even Allen. The reason is simple: We finally have a staff in place that can develop the QB. That is the biggest, biggest, biggest factor. The Bills have not had this kind of steadiness in their organization since Bill Polian was running the show.

In other words, we can all R-E-L-A-X and Trust The Process™️

The Bills made the playoffs with a strong running game & opportunistic defense. They now have a better OC in place, and they'll have a QB with a higher ceiling after the Draft... but they will still be operating under that same overall philosophy — and that is exactly the right way to develop your franchise QB. You don't ask a lot from them, you let them gain experience, and you support them.

I have far more confidence in Beane & McDermott than I ever did with Whaley/Nix & Marrone, or Donahoe & Gregg/Mularkey. McBeane are not making decisions based on desperation, on a "must win quick" scheme to end the drought & protect their jobs... they are making confident choices to support a long-term vision.

Joe B & Matt Fairburn calmed the nerves with their podcast yesterday on why Josh Allen is still a legitimate prospect and why he's as likely to turn into Ben Roethlisberger as he is JP Losman: 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Why should we believe we have the staff to develop a QB? Who on the staff has done this or what examples do we have? 

Cam Newton? 

But even if you don't credit Beane for Cam, consider that Belichick never developed a QB before Brady either, right? It's more about organizational stability. We have that.

I could be wrong but Beane is not out there developing QB's. He was in the front office in CAR and is in Buffalo as well. If we are talking about knowing how to select your QB I would argue Beane has never done that. He was not even asst GM yet when they drafted Cam and Cam was the #1 pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Cam Newton? 

But even if you don't credit Beane for Cam, consider that Belichick never developed a QB before Brady either, right? It's more about organizational stability. We have that.

Sorry but that's a complete non-answer to the question you were asked. 

Your central point seemed to be that we now have the ability to develop a QB.  But when asked WHO is doing the developing, you point to "organizational stability" doing this?  Sorry but if you're going to argue that point, you need to specify the name of the QB coach or OC along with their past developmental successes.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure any of us can do that.  

• Like (+1) 2

yeah i trust the process too but i dont see how you can point to Cam's development as a reason for why we should believe we can develop a qb here. Do we have ken Dorsey as our qb coach? Norv Turner maybe? No. I guess i'm in the camp of these other posters where i just dont see the central point here, other than the general idea of trusting the process lol.

37 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Like many of you, the only QB that I don't want is Josh Allen, who seems to be in that mold of EJ Manuel where he's "got all the tools" but seems incapable of getting the job done with regard to consistent accuracy. Here's my preferences of the QB class, to be upfront.

1. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. Mayfield

4. Jackson

5. Allen 

HOWEVER, I think the Bills will be good with WHOEVER they choose among those, even Allen. The reason is simple: We finally have a staff in place that can develop the QB. That is the biggest, biggest, biggest factor. The Bills have not had this kind of steadiness in their organization since Bill Polian was running the show.

In other words, we can all R-E-L-A-X and Trust The Process™️

The Bills made the playoffs with a strong running game & opportunistic defense. They now have a better OC in place, and they'll have a QB with a higher ceiling after the Draft... but they will still be operating under that same overall philosophy — and that is exactly the right way to develop your franchise QB. You don't ask a lot from them, you let them gain experience, and you support them.

I have far more confidence in Beane & McDermott than I ever did with Whaley/Nix & Marrone, or Donahoe & Gregg/Mularkey. McBeane are not making decisions based on desperation, on a "must win quick" scheme to end the drought & protect their jobs... they are making confident choices to support a long-term vision.

Joe B & Matt Fairburn calmed the nerves with their podcast yesterday on why Josh Allen is still a legitimate prospect and why he's as likely to turn into Ben Roethlisberger as he is JP Losman: 

While I do share optimism that we will be ok, I am still a tad bit skeptical.

Organizational consistency is a wonderful thing, but eventually it will come down to coaching. Our QB coach happens to be Dave Culley. He is a really good WR coach and I HOPE it translates to his new position. A QB like Allen needs a lot of help and I don't know if Culley is up to that task. At the very least it's a fair concern in my book.

Now there are things I don't know about Culley. I don't know how much he actually knows or doesn't know about the QB position. I don't know how well he teaches. I don't know how he is with the guys in the film room or on the practice field. There are 2 things I do know about him.

1. Last year when Peterman was called into action he was extremely unprepared. In my view that falls on the OC however blame must be given to Peterman's limitations as well as the guy that was working with him on a day to day basis, Culley.

2. When he left KC, Andy Reid said that the reason Culley wanted to come here was to build his resume for an eventual HC position. I like that. The man has aspirations. I don't know what kind of coach he is, but if he wants to get noticed...this is his shot. If we get, say Allen. And Allen turns out well it's easy to see both Culley and Daboll (if he's still here) getting a lot of credit. Best case for them it becomes a Reich/Diflippo situation where they can both progress. With his goals in mind, I believe Culley will work his arse off to succeed here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Whether a QB is going to be a hit or a miss can be a crap shoot and maybe a lot of it depends on how a team can develop him and utilize his strong points.

The real mystery of Beane is that he is in a role that he has not occupied prior. We aren't sure of his scouting and drafting abilities. Draft's are always hit or miss. With the amount of picks he has I expect him to hit on a few of them. He was not involved in the process that much last year...he was hired too late. It will be fun to see.

1 hour ago, LA Grant said:

Cam Newton? 

I for one, see your point and agree.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

While things appear to be more cohesive at OBD compared to recent history, I’m not ready to annoint anyone until they bear the actual fruits of the “process”.

I believe they already have, to some degree....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I believe they already have, to some degree....

Care to expand?

I’ll tell you what I do like so far, dumping Dareus and Watkins, very bold and somewhat ‘cleansing’.

I liked the trade back last year and stockpiling picks. I like what they did with the Glenn trade as well.

BUT I still need to see where this all leads to, and the end result. The actual fruit. And for the record, I’m willing to be patient. I understand you need to crawl before you can walk.

Yes it was fun to snap the drought, no question. But fun doesn’t necessarily mean “impressive”.

We back-doored in. Would like to see us control our own destiny at some point. Until then, I’m cautious.

• Like (+1) 1

Wishiful thinking, OP. I don't think there's any way we can definitively say that the Bills have the staff in place to properly develop a QB (nor can you say that they don't have the staff). Simply put, we just don't know. 

I think most people will agree that the arrow is pointing up, from an organisational standpoint, but what exactly that will lead to is completely unkown at this point. We're heading into year 2, with multiple coaching changes, and question marks with regards to the roster. Solid foundation laid, unlike previous regimes, and the monkey (it was more like a gorilla) is off their backs, but to say things with such certainty, at this point, is really just wishful thinking IMO. That's not to say that I don't like what's happening, or that my cup is half empty, but we need to see more before we can speak so confidently IMO.

What we probably CAN feel confident about is the structure at the top. Call it a sample size if you want (not necessarily incorrect), but a lot has happened in the last 13+ months. Considering the drought and the state of the fan base at the time, our HC/GM have proven a few things in a short amount of time that I don't think anyone expected. They've proven that they have a plan in place, and will stick to it no matter what, but will alter their plans a bit if the opportunity presents itself. They made several moves before week one last year that weren't very popular with most fans at the time, that they knew would get the kind of reaction that they did. They didn't see it as "tanking", but as "building", and perhaps the Bills overachieved in the end, but those moves were all a part of the plan. They aren't afraid. They're bold, but not too bold. They're smart. They know what's important when it comes to building a winner. So far, they've proven that they won't reach in the draft. Still, what all of this will lead to remains to be seen.