Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

1 hour ago, vincec said:

To be honest, if the rookie they draft can't beat out McCarron then there may be a more serious problem.

54 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

That is basically what I'm saying. 

McCarron has the upper hand over a rookie having been in the league a few years so I wouldn't judge anything by who starts the regular season behind center.

If McCarron starts the rookie could still be right on track with how the coaching staff intends on handling his development in my humble opinion. 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, vincec said:

To be honest, if the rookie they draft can't beat out McCarron then there may be a more serious problem.

A.J. was pretty solid when he got significant action,  what makes you think he hasn’t Improved since then? 

Edited by BananaB

Just watched his presser and was honestly pretty blown away by his words and how he handled himself. He was always really poised at bama and you can see it here. Hated him in college cause i hate alabama but he made a lot of clutch throws, he is not going to be rattled

Starter or not we are fortunate hes going to be in that qb room because hes going to work his ass off and whomever we draft, they are going to make each other better

• Like (+1) 2

I wonder what the number one and number two,  antagonists for Peterman are going to to do now as  Peterman and  McCarron are 5th round draft choices and allegedly do not have superior arms. The  choice is between the two. One is going to start. 

Edited by Wily Dog

27 minutes ago, Figster said:

McCarron has the upper hand over a rookie having been in the league a few years so I wouldn't judge anything by who starts the regular season behind center.

If McCarron starts the rookie could still be right on track with how the coaching staff intends on handling his development in my humble opinion. 

Nah no coaching staff holds out long enough, lose a couple game and suddenly "The rookie is magically ready" He will play the same week one and week six. Put him in there and let him learn, it cant ruin him it will just show you if he has it or not.

9 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Nah no coaching staff holds out long enough, lose a couple game and suddenly "The rookie is magically ready" He will play the same week one and week six. Put him in there and let him learn, it cant ruin him it will just show you if he has it or not.

I disagree.  The potential is there for a rookie to be ruined if he is not ready to run the offense at the professional "NFL" level.

Peterman might end up being an example of this.    It is incredibly hard to come back from the deficit Peterman is in now because of his label as "ultimate Pick thrower".  (At least as a Buffalo Bill it will be.)

He was thrown in before he was ready and he sucked - record setting sucked.    Because of that, his leash is a lot shorter than it otherwise probably would have been.    Coaches will be afraid to play him unless he looks far superior to whoever he is competing against.   And his NFL tape now looks like crap for the rest of the league to see.    Might have ruined his career.

Even if his ultimate ceiling was just going to be "a decent backup" in the NFL, he is more likely to end up out of the NFL sooner than he otherwise would because of his wretched play.   That is of course unless he starts playing truly superior football.  He has a much bigger hill to climb now than he would have if he had sat the bench all year - or just played mop up duty.

Same thing could happen to another rookie - even one with higher perceived potential than Peterman had coming into the NFL.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think he is a very good starting material quarterback, but I am very glad we have him, we paid what he is worth or less, and he's almost impossible not to like as a guy and human being and teammate. Well done, Mr. Beane.

None of us really know how he'll perform.  4 years studying and learning about playing QB in the NFL, a chance for the first time to truly compete for a starting position with a new team, new coaches and a new offense.  It's a big wait and see and he might make the leap forward that others have.  Agree that it's a very friendly contract and glad the Bills were able to sign him. 

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

A.J. was pretty solid when he got significant action,  what makes you think he hasn’t Improved since then? 

AJ was good, when he threw to AJ Green last year, Bengals 3rd receiver was better than whoever we trotted out as our best (who? Deonte Thompson??).  Mind you KB's best year was his rookie year where he scratched 1003 yards with an MVP QB. He was OKAY, with a lot of drops. A BETTER WR is Steve Smith Sr. who had over 1200 yards in Cam's rookie year . So imagine if you're playing sand volleyball with ODBJ, look pretty good, and get signed to a team where you play volleyball ball with Jonah Hill. In a team sport. The onus ain't on the quarterbacks folks. 

Good signing, but keep in mind, It takes 2 to tango.

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

He was thrown in before he was ready and he sucked - record setting sucked.    Because of that, his leash is a lot shorter than it otherwise probably would have been.    Coaches will be afraid to play him unless he looks far superior to whoever he is competing against.   And his NFL tape now looks like crap for the rest of the league to see.    Might have ruined his career.

It's unfair to be judged by performance? I'll call back Walmart to give them a piece of my mind and show how unfairly I was evaluated.

EDIT: I See your point, not a criticism of your comment

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

I disagree.  The potential is there for a rookie to be ruined if he is not ready to run the offense at the professional "NFL" level.

Peterman might end up being an example of this.    It is incredibly hard to come back from the deficit Peterman is in now because of his label as "ultimate Pick thrower".  (At least as a Buffalo Bill it will be.)

Even if his ultimate ceiling was just going to be "a decent backup" in the NFL, he is more likely to end up out of the NFL sooner than he otherwise would because of his wretched play.   That is of course unless he starts playing truly superior football.  He has a much bigger hill to climb now than he would have if he had sat the bench all year - or just played mop up duty.

Same thing could happen to another rookie - even one with higher perceived potential than Peterman had coming into the NFL.

Peterman’s lack of arm strength will be what ruins his career. It won’t be the game in San Diego imo. The aforementioned lack of arm strength was the cause of those interceptions. We witnessed it again when he replaced an injured TT in Jax to throw a game ending pick. Once again, it was picked off due to lack of arm strength. For the sake of full disclosure, I was an advocate of Peterman heading into this past season. I’m no longer convinced that he has an NFL caliber arm whatsoever. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The one thing i do love about AJ is hes willing to be a bit of a gunslinger and take chances and throw in tight windows. Or allow his wr to make a play.  No more Tyrod who only  throws when a guy is clearly open.

Im just hoping AJ is not as much of a risk taker as Fitz because nobody wants to see that either.

6 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

AJ was good, when he threw to AJ Green last year, Bengals 3rd receiver was better than whoever we trotted out as our best (who? Deonte Thompson??).  Mind you KB's best year was his rookie year where he scratched 1003 yards with an MVP QB. He was OKAY, with a lot of drops. A BETTER WR is Steve Smith Sr. who had over 1200 yards in Cam's rookie year . So imagine if you're playing sand volleyball with ODBJ, look pretty good, and get signed to a team where you play volleyball ball with Jonah Hill. In a team sport. The onus ain't on the quarterbacks folks. 

Good signing, but keep in mind, It takes 2 to tango.

It's unfair to be judged by performance? I'll call back Walmart to give them a piece of my mind and show how unfairly I was evaluated.

EDIT: I See your point, not a criticism of your comment

So the quality throws had nothing to do with it and it was all the WRs?  He mad big plays and a lot of the catches looked effortless because of ball placement and timing. I agree we don’t have the WRs the Bengals had but you can’t knock who is making quality throws because he has good WRs..:. It’s not like they were making acrobatic catches all over the field.  You been watching Taylor too much. Remember all the good WRs he had? Probably not because they left and looked better once they did.

Edited by BananaB

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

So the quality throws had nothing to do with it and it was all the WRs?  He mad big plays and a lot of the catches looked effortless because of ball placement and timing. I agree we don’t have the WRs the Bengals had but you can’t knock a guy for having good WRs when he is making quality throws..:. You been watching Taylor too much. Remember all the good WRs he had? Probably not because they left and looked better once they did.

You're certainly correct, can't fault him. Just seems like the QB that needs that talent. Not a bad thing, almost every QB does. 

Every neutral fans i talk to are all in agreement the bills had the worst receiving group by far last year. It's actually uncanny i don't usually see such an absolute consensus.

14 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

You're certainly correct, can't fault him. Just seems like the QB that needs that talent. Not a bad thing, almost every QB does. 

Every neutral fans i talk to are all in agreement the bills had the worst receiving group by far last year. It's actually uncanny i don't usually see such an absolute consensus.

Peope say that every year. Our WRs success goes hand and hand with our QB. Numerous guys have left that a lot of people have complained about over the years and had more success with anothe QB besides Taylor

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Peope say that every year. Our WRs success goes hand and hand with our QB. Numerous guys have left that a lot of people have complained about over the years and had more success with anothe QB besides Taylor

Well we had injuries with Goodwin and watkins. And without Robert woods this year, we were trotting out nobodies. Would have liked to retain him don't see how he doesn't fit the mcd mold. But he was pricey

11 minutes ago, BananaB said:

And Goodwin flat out improved this last year, i have to put that on coaching. Honestly I'd put him up there for NFL's most improved player (wish that was a thing). He beefed up and looks like Michael Thomas with his physicality.

9 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Well we had injuries with Goodwin and watkins. And without Robert woods this year, we were trotting out nobodies. Would have liked to retain him don't see how he doesn't fit the mcd mold. But he was pricey

All the excuses keep coming for Taylor don’t they. When these guys were on the field he still hesitated to throw them the ball.. It’s hard to judge any of Taylor’s targets on their time together. He just didn’t throw to them on a regular basis.... We only seen A.J. with quality WRs but he made quality throws, hopefully he’ll be able to get more out of these guys then Taylor has.  We’re about to see and I look forward to it.