Could 2018 be the 1983 QB Draft

5 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Could this years draft be similar to the 1983 QB draft that we have not had since?  There is a real possibility the top 6 QB's could all be successful (some more than others) but maybe this could be a duplicate type draft finally.  We need a new era of young QB's to start taking over for the older ones that are nearing their end!  I just get a feeling 4 or 5 may end up successful QB's in the league.  Hopefully we end up with one of them!

Thoughts??  Go Bills!!

No, it's not a reprise of 1983.  It's also not a reprise of the next best QB class of 2004.  Both of those classes had consensus #1 prospects who were clearly superior to all the other prospects (Elway in '83 and Eli in '04), including being pro-ready.  They also had at least one other pro-ready QB prospect (Marino in '83 and Roethlisberger in '04).  Because most of the top propsects played in pro-style collegiate offenses, there were many fewer question marks about the prospects in '83 and in '04, and still teams managed to find first round busts like Blackledge and Losman.

All of the 2018 top QBs come with serious questions about how they'll adapt to the NFL.  These is no consensus "best prospect" likely to go #1 or at least first among the QBs.  Most have not played in pro-style offenses, so there are all kinds of questions about how these kids will adapt to the style and complexities of the pro game.  None are nearly as pro-ready as the top QBs from 1983 or 2004.  Additionally, most of the top QBs seem to also have mechanical or technical flaws that are probably going to have to be "fixed" if they're going to have real shots at NFL success. 

IMO, 2018 is more like 2011 than 1983 or 2004: probably 1 bonafide top prospect (Newton) and a flock of pretenders (Locker, Gabbert, Ponder) being pushed by hype machines courtesy of self-styled "draft experts", 24/7 sports networks, and social media.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Baker Mayfield, who looks like the next Drew Brees, Russell Wilson and has the very best accuracy in this year's draft. This kid can do it all with a great arm. His only issue is that he is not quite 6'1''. A touchdown machine in college. Although, "Spread quarterbacks have had limited success as have small quarterbacks!"

If Baker's height was his only issue he'd be the consensus #1 overall pick.

8 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Could this years draft be similar to the 1983 QB draft that we have not had since?  There is a real possibility the top 6 QB's could all be successful (some more than others) but maybe this could be a duplicate type draft finally.  We need a new era of young QB's to start taking over for the older ones that are nearing their end!  I just get a feeling 4 or 5 may end up successful QB's in the league.  Hopefully we end up with one of them!

Thoughts??  Go Bills!!

You open a thread claiming this QB class could be as good as 83' then go and say 4 or 5 maybe successful. The class of 83' was special because all 6 QB drafted in 1st round were starters and stars. They had 3 Hall of Famers. Not sure you understand how good this class was, I don't even know if any of these QB's could be Blackledge or O'Brien let alone Elway, Marino or Kelly. Even Eason made it to SB with Doug Flutie's help. As others mentioned even later QB's were quite successful.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It reminds me more of the '99 draft where 5 QB's were taken in the top 12 (Couch -1st pick , McNabb- 2nd, Akili Smith - 3rd, Culpepper 11th, McCown -12th).  There was no clear cut consensus number one at quarterback as Akili Smith was believed to have the best arm.  Ironically, the Browns had the first pick and many believed RIcky Williams to be a generational player (especially Ditka) like Barkley is at RB. 

It's definitely possible that Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson go in the top half of the draft.  It's also probable you're going to get the same number of hits and busts at QB.

Very good comparison. Two Thumbs up!

7 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

So you don't want the Bill's to move up for any of these QB's?

Marino was the last QB picked in 83' draft. Just as likely Jackson is a star as Darnold. The "talent" is there but there is no Elway for sure. Baker is interesting but size here does matter. I am more interested in what Jackson and Rudolph have to bring then Rosen, Darnold or Allen. I am intrigued about Baker but not unless he drops to 21, too much risk. Depending on what Bills do in Free Agency, "starter" I would draft Jackson and see what he can be a few years from now. Saying this means he is a scratch this year game day and Peterman is the backup to let say Keenum, Foles or Bradford. I do not see a starter for the Bills in this years draft. Same goes if Baker falls, he needs at least a year watching. Risk is too much to go for QB ready type Darnold or Rosen. Tops level for these guys probably not higher than Keenum or McCarron or they would be thought of as the TOP PICK!

7 hours ago, downunderbill said:

This sounds like the same record that has been playing for 17 years. Even if they land a FA QB, i think they should still trade up. The Bills are going to have a lot more cap room next year, fill the hardest position to get first. they can always add FA's to stop gap other positions. The McBeane's seem to have done well adding solid talent so far.

This is a large QB free agent class with upside to it. Not like other years with old guys or failures. There are legitimate starters here. I am intrigued by McCarron, just as good as a draft pick and has some NFL tape. He has shown he can play in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

No, it's not a reprise of 1983.  It's also not a reprise of the next best QB class of 2004.  Both of those classes had consensus #1 prospects who were clearly superior to all the other prospects (Elway in '83 and Eli in '04), including being pro-ready.  They also had at least one other pro-ready QB prospect (Marino in '83 and Roethlisberger in '04).  Because most of the top propsects played in pro-style collegiate offenses, there were many fewer question marks about the prospects in '83 and in '04, and still teams managed to find first round busts like Blackledge and Losman.

All of the 2018 top QBs come with serious questions about how they'll adapt to the NFL.  These is no consensus "best prospect" likely to go #1 or at least first among the QBs.  Most have not played in pro-style offenses, so there are all kinds of questions about how these kids will adapt to the style and complexities of the pro game.  None are nearly as pro-ready as the top QBs from 1983 or 2004.  Additionally, most of the top QBs seem to also have mechanical or technical flaws that are probably going to have to be "fixed" if they're going to have real shots at NFL success. 

IMO, 2018 is more like 2011 than 1983 or 2004: probably 1 bonafide top prospect (Newton) and a flock of pretenders (Locker, Gabbert, Ponder) being pushed by hype machines courtesy of self-styled "draft experts", 24/7 sports networks, and social media.

Problem is the Bills and most of the fan base are so starved for a QB they are willing to accept anything at this point. 

10 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Thoughts??  Go Bills!!