What is Joe Flacco’s value?

There’s rumblings that Baltimore might be in the QB market. It may not be in the 1st rd but then again who knows if some of these QB prospects start to slide. The Ravens pick at 16 and that is just a touch outside of some of these projections for the top tier QBs. 

I wrote a post about FAs and the draft earlier and now I’m going to speculate on another aspect that the Bills could employ. I’m not too thrilled that if we trade up for a QB the cost would wipe out a lot of our resources (draft picks). Why couldn’t making a trade come into play so we can keep some of our higher level picks? Flacco’s contact is pretty reasonable compared to today’s market. Restructuring is always a possibility as well.

Hypothetically speaking what if Tyrod was involved in a trade scenario with Baltimore? He came from there and if Lamar Jackson were to come into play for the Ravens and they were interested in Jackson then all the more Taylor would be a great bridge QB for them, especially after we pay the 6M roster bonus to him. The cost of draft picks in a scenario like that would really help keep the cost of draft picks down.

Anyways who knows what is really going to happen but it’s entertaining to have some food for thought. At this point anything is possible until proven otherwise.

Go Bills!

Just now, CuddyDark said:

Maybe he's just not a leader, IDK. This is why teams don't like QBs like Rosen. If you can't lead from the position it almost never works.

That's very fair, and makes a lot of sense.

I mean I don't think you NEED the QB to be the leader, but you need SOMEBODY.

The Ravens had Lewis.

Flacco won in 2012, was bad in '13 and '15, but was pretty good in '14 and '16.

I'm not sure who he's had at receiver though.

I see him as a solid QB who can excel with good talent around him, but can't carry a subpar team (kinda like foles), but isn't going to be that locker room leader kinda guy.

If you put Flacco on the Eagles he will put up numbers and can carry you to a Super Bowl. He needs the good O-Line, big WR's and he needs a playmaker TE. If you can provide Falcco with that type of talent around him he will put up very good numbers. 

The only thing I see with Flacco that I don't like is he plays up to his competition. If he feels like his team is not build for a super bowl run he puts is just above average effort. 

10 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Maybe he's just not a leader, IDK. This is why teams don't like QBs like Rosen. If you can't lead from the position it almost never works.

In our own history that would be Todd Collins.  But that being said there are different types of malfunction when it comes to the lack of leadership.

10 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If you put Flacco on the Eagles he will put up numbers and can carry you to a Super Bowl. He needs the good O-Line, big WR's and he needs a playmaker TE. If you can provide Falcco with that type of talent around him he will put up very good numbers. 

The only thing I see with Flacco that I don't like is he plays up to his competition. If he feels like his team is not build for a super bowl run he puts is just above average effort. 

I think they're missing leadership. They have no leader. The HC is not a big leader. Once they lost Ray Lewis it was over. On the Eagles he'd have a HC who is the leader. No matter who the Bills draft their leader will be coach McD. That's McD biggest asset so far. He's a leader of men.

Edited by CuddyDark

I had a friend whom was a huge Ravens fan. He actually grew up in Cleveland but stayed with the Browns when they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens.. (Weird huh?)   Even after the ravens won the superbowl he hated Flacco..

Flacco is a Big giant NO

Living down here in Ravens country. They are getting tired of Flacco. Perception is he spends more time with his family and kids then in the meeting rooms and extra study. His desire is always questioned on the talk shows. Def think he is on the decline. But with weapons he can still be a great passer.

Flacco was a game manager and back when they had a number 1 defense it worked.  Put that same defense on the 2017 bills with shady and tyrod and see a crazy high turnover differential the bills could be SB contenders. . .and That was when flacco was much younger.  

No, I say NO!  Do not start the possibility of such a bad idea!

I would not want Flacco at this point. Pre-ACL/MCL tear he was a pretty good QB who could move the ball well enough and get the ball downfield. Since then he has not been the same player and with his contract being so bloated it has killed his value.

2014 pre ACL/MCL tear years avg

YPG: 7.0 ypg, most years around 7.2

TDs per season: 20 (19.7 technically), his rookie year was his only under 19 the rest were above.

Yards per season: 3760 yds removing his rookie year which is out of the norm to the rest

Passer Rating: 85%

Att per season: 538 attempts

Post ACL/MCL Tear (2016-17)

YPG: 6.0 ypg

TDs per season: 19

Yards per season: 3729

Passer Rating: 81.95

Att per season: 610 attempts

Now I did not include his rookie year in attempts or yards the same with Flaccos 2015 season when he was injured because it skews the data both good and bad. I wanted to give just full 16 games seasons where he was trusted and not just a rookie either.

What is interesting with the data is his yards have remained the same as have TD's but he is working harder to have to do so and even though he actually has completed 64% of his passes the last two years higher then his 60% average the seven seasons prior, his yards per game have fallen as have his passer rating even though he is throwing more. Now you can say some of that is scheme change and some of it is lack of personnel, but Flacco was at his best as a downfield passer that attacked the secondary. He has slipped the last two seasons and pretty badly in 2017 where he threw for paltry 5.7 ypa.

I was a big Flacco fan since he entered the league and have thought if you were to draft a QB to be your guy he is what you'd want as a baseline. Sadly his play really has slipped regardless of lack of weapons and that contract makes his play post injury look so much worse. For as much people do bash his contract his best year was 2014 when he did have the pressure squarely on him. At this point the writing seems to be on the wall that his best days are probably past and without real help around him he is a .500 QB or worse.