Making the playoffs vs having a high draft pick

Was just thinking how probably 80% of what I read regarding the bills draft picks this year, somehow always boils down to if the bills will trade up or not. 

Which got me thinking, would i trade that amazing week after new years for a 4 or 5 win team that had a high pick? How perfect would it be if we had the number 5 or 6 overall pick and the 21st?

However, I don't think I would give up that week after new years. It was magical. Something as a bills fan I'll always remember. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Was just thinking how probably 80% of what I read regarding the bills draft picks this year, somehow always boils down to if the bills will trade up or not. 

Which got me thinking, would i trade that amazing week after new years for a 4 or 5 win team that had a high pick? How perfect would it be if we had the number 5 or 6 overall pick and the 21st?

However, I don't think I would give up that week after new years. It was magical. Something as a bills fan I'll always remember. 

I wouldn't change a single thing about how last season went down because it was the best season I've experienced as a Bills fan since the late 90's.  A high draft pick would have been nice (from the Chefs) but it is what it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

We are fans for many reasons: One of the top reasons is to see our team win.

A 5-11 non-memorable season and say the 5th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft vs remembering exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time Dalton connected for that touchdown to end our 17 year playoff drought? At the Hyatt in San Diego at the bar in the lobby watching the end of that game with a Cleveland fan and two other football fans who 'swore off the Chargers for life' for leaving San Diego, and I remember dancing around the bar high fiving them all and we were all yelling and going crazy, even them who didn't like the Buffalo Bills got caught up in the euphoria.

That moment is exactly why we are die hard Buffalo Bills fans: And showed just how special the Buffalo fan base truly is.

Give me THAT memory, every day of the week.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 3

I find it more impressive that McDermott got this team playing as well as they did considering the roster turnover in his 1st year.

that's something you can build upon IMO

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I find it more impressive that McDermott got this team playing as well as they did considering the roster turnover in his 1st year.

that's something you can build upon IMO

Exactly. For a team that many including myself had at 5-11 maybe 6-10 at best he got that roster to compete game in game out minus NOLA & LAC and did more with less big time.

• Like (+1) 1

I definitely would not. That was the first time I have experienced the playoffs as a Bills fan. 

We most likely would have not been able to sign Davis or Ivory without that playoff run either. I do think McDermott did a good job establishing a winning culture in year 1. 

As nice as it would be to have an early pick to get a QB, recent history has shown a lot of good QBs that have been ranked 5th or worse in their draft class. This is a very deep QB class so I would not be surprised if one or two of the under the radar QB prospects became franchise QBs.

36 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I just don’t buy into quick fixes. 

Not so so long ago we picked 3rd overall, then a few years later fourth overall. 

Those selection positions and resulting players were extracated from the roster early on this past season and subsequently the team went on to qualify for the playoffs, for the first time in almost two decades.

I embrace what I believe that story line is telling me. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

It was New Years Eve. The Bills won. And I had low expectations of the Bengals besting a team that 1) was at home 2) wins and they’re in 3)  was a favoured division rival.

The whole way the Bills made the playoffs this year was magical and it ended the massive egg on our face drought. I had extra reason to party that night.

If the Bills suck this year, I won’t even care as much now that it’s over. Their draft position is the least of my worries.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

Funny but you can even take it back to the previous year when Rex started Cardale instead of Tyrod against the Jets on the last game of the year.  We lost that meaningless game and it moved us up four spots to #10.   

I seriously doubt Mahomes would have been there at 14, and believe the Chiefs would have found a trading partner at 10 or 11 like they did with us, or possibly Dorsey just stays put. 

Either way, In that scenario, we don't have two first round picks this year, and have virtually no chance at trading up for a qb without giving away the farm.

All from one simple decision to play backup qb's in a meaningless end of season game two years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm a long view or long term type of guy.  Droughts happen and I don't worry about smart aleck sports media personalities or night time comedians ragging on my team.  I would have preferred tanking this season and been in the top 6 for the draft.  When the turn around happens those same blow holes will be jumping on the bandwagon anyways.

We've had plenty of good draft picks, but we picked the wrong players. See Aaron Maybin, EJ Manuel, etc. 

Playoffs were great, but waiting most of my teenage and adult years to see 3 points was pretty lame. 

I just want to see this team become a consistent championship contender, and that's going to take a major upgrade at a few positions to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

This city has life now because of those playoffs.  Free agents now look to come here because we are so close to winning.  No thanks to that trade.

I agree. It's a different feel for the bills now. However, I could potentially see the bills regressing next season if they start a rookie at qb. Hopefully not, but I woukd the be surprised 

15 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I agree. It's a different feel for the bills now. However, I could potentially see the bills regressing next season if they start a rookie at qb. Hopefully not, but I woukd the be surprised 

I wouldn't be surprised if their record dips a bit but if they let some of the guys walk this year, they could have a lot of compensatory picks and some high ones next year to help fill in the gaps along with a lot more money for free agency next year.  You could see what the QB needs to have to be successful this year and get what he needs next offseason.  He'd have a year of experience and some new weapons.  Similar to what Philly did with Wentz.  They got Jeffrey last year after Wentz played out his rookie year.  They also brought in a bunch of other players threw free agency and trades like Ajayi.  That would be the way to go IMO

I can see I am in the minority but as of right now I would rather have had the high draft pick.

Making the playoffs was fun. Seeing the folks greeting the team in the middle of the night in the cold snow and dark was inspirational.

And what we fans did for Andy Dalton makes me misty still and it was one of the best things ever.

So that is a lot to give up but in my cold icy dark logical side I want that high pick  in a year where the best picks at QB are not EJ Manuel and Geno Smith.

However, my jury is still out until I see what these guys do come draft day to deal with the circumstances we have.

Maybe it will be ok.