Does your company close under real bad weather?

Another Fan

In the 38 years I was at GE schenectady I can say that they only officially closed 3 times.  It never really closed as people stayed and worked overtime and some people still went in. 

If you did not make it in you could take the day off with out pay. 

Mine (as of December) is 15 minutes from Sonoma, and the only thing that they even thought about closing for is wildfires. 

You people in the NYC area.....sorry for today. I was supposed to fly out this morning back here at 9am and at 1pm yesterday decided to take a chance and get a ticket out last night........a VERY long day of driving and flying for work, but man I was happy to wake up today and see my original flight has been cancelled.

We made the call to close the office today at 4pm yesterday afternoon.

Realistically, we could have opened the office at normal time (8am) and worked until noon, or so.

But with school closings and early dismissals, half of the office would have called out, anyway.  So it's not worth risking the safety of the employees for a half day of work done by half the workforce.

I've been at this job for roughly 2.5 years and today is probably the 4th or 5th time we've closed.

We also delayed Thursday's opening until 10am, anticipating many employees will be digging out/waiting for plows to come through their neighborhoods.  Rather than having them worry about being late/risking a messy morning commute, I just thought it was better to delay opening and extend closing by a couple hours (voluntary).

When we close the office due to inclement weather, my supervisors and I work from home.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We made the call to close the office today at 4pm yesterday afternoon.

Realistically, we could have opened the office at normal time (8am) and worked until noon, or so.

But with school closings and early dismissals, half of the office would have called out, anyway.  So it's not worth risking the safety of the employees for a half day of work done by half the workforce.

I've been at this job for roughly 2.5 years and today is probably the 4th or 5th time we've closed.

We also delayed Thursday's opening until 10am, anticipating many employees will be digging out/waiting for plows to come through their neighborhoods.  Rather than having them worry about being late/risking a messy morning commute, I just thought it was better to delay opening and extend closing by a couple hours (voluntary).

When we close the office due to inclement weather, my supervisors and I work from home.

It's damn nice of you to invite your supervisors over to your house to do some work...but why make them drive all the way to your house? What makes you so special?

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

It's damn nice of you to invite your supervisors over to your house to do some work...but why make them drive all the way to your house? What makes you so special?

I wouldn't mind if one of them came over .............

Last Friday I was able to get out of a service call because I would have had to drive through two counties that declared no unnecessary travel. Today I get to drive down to PA, but away from the storm, so it'll be interesting to see if the ban on tractor trailers works. 

If it's really severe, yes.  I think we all remember what happened in Atlanta a few years ago where 1.5 inches caused total chaos.

If there COULD be a chance of bad weather, my manager just tells me to use my best instinct and work from home if I need to.  She's as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

If it's really severe, yes.  I think we all remember what happened in Atlanta a few years ago where 1.5 inches caused total chaos.

Co-worker of mine got stuck in the airport during that storm for 36 hours. Luckily he was "on the clock" the whole time.

And I had a former co-worker get stuck on the highway in PA during last weeks storm, for over 7 hours, just sitting there waiting for traffic to move. 

I think I'd rather be in the airport so I can walk around and do stuff. 

I'm in a hospital so it never closes either.  I'm in research though and can work from home when I need to.  The weather here is never really all that bad, but I'll gladly use it as an excuse during the 2-3 snow storms a year so I can get that extra hour of sleep.

Just now, Just Jack said:

Co-worker of mine got stuck in the airport during that storm for 36 hours. Luckily he was "on the clock" the whole time.

And I had a former co-worker get stuck on the highway in PA during last weeks storm, for over 7 hours, just sitting there waiting for traffic to move. 

I think I'd rather be in the airport so I can walk around and do stuff. 

l lived about 15 minutes away from my office at the time.  I took me over 4 hours to get home but not all by car.  After about 3 hours sitting in the car, I parked it in a grocery store parking lot and walked home the rest of the way...took about an hour.  If I had stayed in my car, it probably would have taken 5-6 hours.  Traffic literally wasn't moving.  Too many pile ups.  I think the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported over 400 car accidents that day.

1 minute ago, The Poojer said:

My office is closed, however most, if not all of our office is able to work from home which I do quite a bit(of course 'home' can be a loosely defined term for me)

When working from home, what time do you usually crack open the first tasty beverage?

i walk over to wawa across the street, fill my 24oz coffee about 3/4 of the way full, walk back home and top it off with baileys :-)

Just now, Gugny said:

When working from home, what time do you usually crack open the first tasty beverage?

Just now, The Poojer said:

i walk over to wawa across the street, fill my 24oz coffee about 3/4 of the way full, walk back home and top it off with baileys :-)

Ha!

My first beer will probably be at around 2.

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

In the 38 years I was at GE schenectady I can say that they only officially closed 3 times.  It never really closed as people stayed and napped and some people still went in. 

If you did not make it in you could take the day off with out pay. 

Fixed that for you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1