Lions looking to Trade Ebron

They will end up cutting him.  I'd take a look when he gets cut.  Wouldn't give a pick for him.  He might not be what some thought he would be coming out... but he is a hell of a lot better than Logan Thomas who has no place being on an NFL team.  

7 hours ago, Buftex said:

I kinda like the tight ends we have right now.

I agree 100%. "Kinda."  And that's as much as I can muster up for Clay and O'Leary.  

Last year Clay seemed to be as much of a liability as he was an asset, with a TD bouncing right off his hands leading to an int, and what seemed to be too many crucial drops.  I do like O'Leary...did you guys know he doesn't wear gloves??   And that 3rd TE that converted from a QB....u know who I'm talkin about...

I mean if we could get Ebron for a 6th or 7th him and Clay would make a VICIOUS 2 TE pairing. Provided they catch the ball...

Word at the time was that if the Bills had not made the trade up for Sammy, they would have taken Ebron at 9. So they definitely liked him back in 2014. Of course, he has done little in the league since then -- and it was the now departed Whaley who was running the draft room for the Bills back then.

I was nearly burned alive when I kept saying Ebron was NOT worth a top 10 pick.....that was the year I was posting again and again about where a team should Draft a TE: Rounds 3 and 4. Nobody really wanted to listen, but only Vernon Davis and Tony Gonzalez in the last 20 years have achieved their drafted status. Even then, it's a bit of a hard sell for Davis because it took him to get Harbaugh as a coach before he started producing and I'm not sure he has ever shown he was worth the 8th overall pick. 

The best TEs - except for the two notable ones I mentioned - i.e. Graham, Gates, Witten, Kelce, Reed, Walker, Julius Thomas for a couple years anyways, - were all taken in the mid rounds. Tight End is one of those positions that except for a RARE few, takes a couple to three years to be able to produce at the NFL level. That's why you don't draft them in the 1st....Davis was a Combine wonder and that's why he went from low 1st round to top 10 pick....Ebron has had his developmental time in the NFL and he still isn't very good. Maybe he can turn it around with a different team and Offense, but at this point I wouldn't give them more than a 6th in 2019 with a condition it can go to a 5th based on production. 

In this same vein of thinking, we saw O'Leary really start to make some positive strides this last season and I think he could have a breakout year - relative to his usage and position...I could see him getting 600-650 yards and 7 TDs next year with a different QB and better Offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

i remember really wanting this kid in the draft. but i am really glad that the front office didn't ask my opinion on that one. i think i would stay away from trading anything substantial for him, especially with that inflated salary.  he is still a giant bundle of potential, so if he was to be cut and signed to a "prove it" deal...that's a different story.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Word at the time was that if the Bills had not made the trade up for Sammy, they would have taken Ebron at 9. So they definitely liked him back in 2014. Of course, he has done little in the league since then -- and it was the now departed Whaley who was running the draft room for the Bills back then.

Whaley couldn’t wait to squander his draft capital that year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd be a little upset about that. He won't beat out Clay and we already have O'Leary who is pretty decent.

Dallas would easily be the best pass-catching TE on our team.  Why would you be upset?  He looks like Gronk coming out of college. Him in the second round would be a nice move IMO.  He has a huge catch radius for a young QB and then Clay and his injuries, butterfingers and bloated contract could be done in Buffalo

Edited by Buffalo30

20 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Dallas would easily be the best pass-catching TE on our team.  Why would you be upset?  He looks like Gronk coming out of college. Him in the second round would be a nice move IMO.  He has a huge catch radius for a young QB and then Clay and his injuries, butterfingers and bloated contract could be done in Buffalo

Not even close to Gronk. Maybe in the 4th.

5 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

"Team sources said that they were grading Goedert in the fourth round and have medical concerns with him."
- Walter Football

Dallas Goedert at 53 or 56.  GET IT DONE, OBD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd be a little upset about that. He won't beat out Clay and we already have O'Leary who is pretty decent.

Fair enough. I think they're planning for Life After Clay. His contract is an albatross and his knee annually seems to limit his practice and sometimes game day availability. 

I don't EXPECT an early round TE, but the Bills have interviewed Goedert, and he's a McDermott type player. I'd still list it as a "surprise that wouldn't surprise me" at this point.

• Like (+1) 1