Rosenthal: Free Agents Who Could Be Overpriced

Rosenthal: Free Agents Who Could Be Overpriced

Combine the copious amount of salary-cap space across the NFL with a shallow free-agent class, and it's easy to envision some bloated contracts materializing this month. With free agency opening at 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 14, Gregg Rosenthal takes a look at the players most likely to be overpriced.

Sammy Watkins, wide receiver
Nate Solder, offensive tackle
Jimmy Graham, tight end
Star Lotulelei, defensive tackle (Bills' target?)
Case Keenum, quarterback (Bills' target?)
Offensive linemen coming off injury

18 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Gosh it sure is sad Watkins isn't our problem right now... :rolleyes:

Yet the Bills still have a HUGE problem at WR. Don't kid yourself, Watkins is a " problem" some team will be glad to have in short order. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

And smart imo. It won't happen, but that would be the definition of winning a trade. 

thats how the yankees do it- warren, chapman

Edited by Pete

47 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

And smart imo. It won't happen, but that would be the definition of winning a trade. 

Trading a 1st round WR (that the team traded up for) for a DB who will likely be gone after 1 season as a Bill and a 2nd round pick----only to re-sign the same WR for a "bloated" FA contract?

"winning"...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Trading a 1st round WR (that the team traded up for) for a DB who will likely be gone after 1 season as a Bill and a 2nd round pick----only to re-sign the same WR for a "bloated" FA contract?

"winning"...

Trading a WR as a one year rental, netting a second round pick AND re-signing the player anyway? Yep , that's a win in my book. SWs 5th year option would have been $14+ million. The experts here say he will get signed for much less. I'm not sure how it couldn't be a win to keep the player and get a 2nd rounder , but OK. 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Trading a WR as a one year rental, netting a second round pick AND re-signing the player anyway? Yep , that's a win in my book. SWs 5th year option would have been $14+ million. The experts here say he will get signed for much less. I'm not sure how it couldn't be a win to keep the player and get a 2nd rounder , but OK. 

The article said he would be looking for top 5 money (15 million).  Even top ten would put him over 13 million a year.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The article said he would be looking for top 5 money (15 million).  Even top ten would put him over 13 million a year.

It doesn't mean he will get it, according to the experts on this board. I was not a proponent of trading Watkins and would not have done it. However, if it meant a one year exile and re signing  the player PLUS a second round pick I would consider it a win, yes. Watkins 5th year option would have been $ 14mil for the 2018 season anyway. It's purely hypothetical and won't happen anyway. 

1 hour ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

there are several high end guys available but after that it is a big pile of junk.  If they find two starters out of the free agent pool it will be a job well done 

Damn I think we already won the off-season :lol:. Vontae Davis and Chris Ivory fill needs without even drafting anyone yet.