Joe B: I think Tyrod’s a Goner

He made this same point yesterday:

McDermott made a comment about Tyrod being able to add a “playoffs” to his resume.  Why would he need to be updating his resume?

Take off the tinfoil hat Joe, "...add that to your resume." is a FIGURE OF SPEECH!  Beane wasn't suggesting that Tyrod update his actual resume, just that he has achieved a new goal that he hadn't yet...

That said, Tyrod is likely gone.

54 minutes ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

Who is beleiving the Bills would pay 6 Million just to trade Tyrod.. Assume they do. Is a third or fourth round pick worth 6 million dollars, plus the salary of the acquired person... If they pay Tyrod that money, he is staying... I am fine with that just bring in some competition either through Free agency or the draft and let them compete.. who knows he might be more valuable by the trade deadline with an expiring contract and teams would have seen their existing QB in season..

What if it's not a 3rd or 4th round pick, but a 2nd or even 1st round step-up that puts us in better position for a further trade-up?  What if (say) it's a step from 21 to 15 (we might have to sweeten) that positions us better to trade into the top 10?

20 minutes ago, Heitz said:

He made this same point yesterday:

Take off the tinfoil hat Joe, "...add that to your resume." is a FIGURE OF SPEECH!  Beane wasn't suggesting that Tyrod update his actual resume, just that he has achieved a new goal that he hadn't yet...

That said, Tyrod is likely gone.

Guess I share Joe's foil headgear line then 'cuz I had the same thought - when I wasn't job shopping, adding to my resume literally or figuratively was not on my mind.

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

I thought Elway was behind the love

Nah, it was supposed to be Kubiak due to the Baltimore connection

4 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

OBD can attempt too prop him up all they want. The tape does not lie. GM's aren't that naive except for maybe Whaley a former GM. 

Whaley was Taylor's biggest in-house enemy when he was here. Not sure of your point.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I went straight back to page two of this thread and didn't look at any of the posts.

I'm just going to take a stab in the dark and say that Transplant has already commented at least once in this thread with some sort of comment about this should be taken with a grain of salt.  

A tablespoon of salt right here.....

rodak_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike RodakESPN Staff Writer 

Bills GM Brandon Beane said Wednesday on 1270 The Fan that "we could very well see both [Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman] go to training camp with us and compete to start next year." Also from Beane: "Were we completely satisfied with our quarterback play last year? No. But at the same time, you have to know that you have made an upgrade. You don't just change to change at any position. Right now Nathan [Peterman] and Tyrod are on our roster. That's where we're at. We are doing our due diligence in both free agency and the draft."

•  Both competing,

•  Not satisfied overall and

•  You need to know when you have to upgrade.     

Solid endorsement of TT if you ask me.   :D

7 hours ago, ChanOverChin said:

It's obvious that the Bills want to find a better QB than TT, but they can't throw TT under the bus because they may not be able to find that QB this year.

I'm sure they'd love to have Keenum or Foles or even Cousins, but they're probably not willing to break the bank for those guys.

My best guess is that they will seek to trade up to grab one of the top 4 QBs in this year's draft (Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen). 

I think they'll have to give up way too much to get Darnold or Rosen.  Mayfield may not last past #5 or #6 either.  However, Allen may be attainable, possibly at #10 via Oakland or #14 via GB.

I happen to think that ten years from now QB J. Allen will be the best QB in this draft class.

I'd love to see the Bills sign Keenum, draft Allen at #10 or #14 overall, keep Peterman, and then trade Taylor for a R3 or R4 pick.  Taylor is a capable starter so a R3 or R4 pick for an NFL vet starting QB is not out of the question, esp. if you're Arizona and you miss out on the top 4 QBs in this year's draft.

i agree with most of what you are saying.   However, why would Arizona flat out not consider going up to swap with Oakland in your scenario?  

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Whaley was Taylor's biggest in-house enemy when he was here. Not sure of your point.

I guess i didn't explain it. IMO Whaley was a horrible judge of QB's. Must of learned it from Nix. 

You're correct on his lack of support for TT. Doubtful Taylor would have been pursued if not for Rex.

• Like (+1) 1

IMO if the Bills are paying TT the 6 million to try to trade him, they picked the wrong year. Possibly the best QB draft ever + a bunch of free-agent QBs out there, they should just cut him & move on. We would be lucky to get a 5th round pick for him anyways. 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

19 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Nope... but he did cite his tweet which said the Bills would be open to keeping Tyrod next season

Did I miss a tweet where they said the Bills would be open to keeping him next season? Where is that one? When did he say it?

Neither one I saw said more than that

• they weren't planning now to cut him
  • They are fine with paying his roster bonus
  • They won't cut him without upgrading the position
  • a one-year, $10 mill contract (his net to another team if the Bills pay the roster bonus) would be much more tradeable

None of which amounts to them being more open to keeping him next season. All he says for sure there is that they aren't cutting him now.

Again, maybe I missed a tweet where Rapoport said more. Did I? Do you have the quote? Is it the one on Feb. 14th at 4:12, with the associated video where Rapoport says, "My understanding, though, it doesn't seem like they want to cut Tyrod, seems like the Bills would like to trade him. Just based on how much quarterbacks are going for and how much interest, seems Buffalo will be able to do so."

Did I miss one?

12 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

A tablespoon of salt right here.....

rodak_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike RodakESPN Staff Writer 

Bills GM Brandon Beane said Wednesday on 1270 The Fan that "we could very well see both [Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman] go to training camp with us and compete to start next year." Also from Beane: "Were we completely satisfied with our quarterback play last year? No. But at the same time, you have to know that you have made an upgrade. You don't just change to change at any position. Right now Nathan [Peterman] and Tyrod are on our roster. That's where we're at. We are doing our due diligence in both free agency and the draft."

•  Both competing,

•  Not satisfied overall and

•  You need to know when you have to upgrade.     

Solid endorsement of TT if you ask me.   :D

Yeah, and Graham had to just about tie him down to get that "could".

Graham: "Brandon, last question for you and I don't know if you have looked at  your contract with the Buffalo Bills, but you are contractually obligated to answer a Tyrod Taylor question at every interview until he's no longer on the roster." (Beane cracks up) "So, to fulfil that contractual obligation I'm gonna say, I noticed that there were questions asked about Tyrod and there was never from either you or Shawn today any specific mention that he will be on the roster in 2018. You know what you have in Tyrod Taylor, what the situation is. Why can't you say, one way or the other, what his role will be in 2018 with the Buffalo Bills?"

Beane: "Well, it's like any position, Tim. We have guys on our roster we plan to be here but maybe you come across something that you think is an upgrade. And I wouldn't be doing my job if I'm not looking at every position. And, you know, were we completely satisfied with our quarterback play last year? No. But at the same time, you have to know that you have made an upgrade. You don't just change to change at any position. So right now, Nathan and Tyrod both are on our roster. That's where we're at. We are doing our due diligence in both free agency and the draft. Um, but we very well could see both of those guys, you know, going to training camp with us and competing to start next year.

Graham: "So just for the record. In terms of the time frame and how things sort out with the start of free agency next year and where the draft are. You know the dates. You know the situations. When does a decision need to be made on Tyrod regarding what you can do with him or whether he'll still be here?"

Beane: "Well, I think, again, you don't just send a guy packing who helped lead this team to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. So he did a lot of good things. At the end of the day, he's on our roster, that's where we're at now and we're just taking it day by day. I don't have a set day to say, like, 'Hey, it's March whatever, April whatever, Tyrod is definitely here for the whole '18 season or he's definitely moving on. Right now our plan right now is with those two guys, Nathan and Tyrod. And until, you know, something else changes, that's our plan."

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/28/on-todays-tim-graham-show-brandon-beane-chad-kelly-big-4-hoops-and-more/

I know hearing he "could" be on the roster might seem like a big victory since till now nobody has even said that. But it's not. "Could" is the opposite of a solid endorsement of TT. This was yet another briar patch full of obfuscations and an admission that it's not impossible. It has been like pulling teeth and a bit more here of the same.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As I pointed out in another thread, I think much of this is about the Compensatory Pick formula.  The old Bills would just cut Taylor as soon as possible, then sign a veteran off the street and cost themselves a comp pick. 

My guess is that Beane/McDermott are closely considering their other options.  Cutting Taylor realistically gains them nothing, except some cap space.  And depending on how much a replacement QB costs, it may turn into LESS cap space at the end of the day.

Once free agency kicks into gear, the available QBs will start disappearing.  Whoever is left out may be willing to part with a Day 3 pick for Taylor. 

You people on this board have such bad memory... Everyone knows Tyrod is in Buffalo because if Rex... Whaley never was sold on Tyrod... He wanted EJ to start. In my opinion EJ had a better preseason throwing the ball than Tyrod.. but we as fans always like the new guy.. It was Whaley that benched Tyrod the last game of the season.. It was Whaley who wanted to draft Mahomes and McDermott give him to Andy Reid..Now we are looking to draft a QB.. Do you guys understand what a huge mistake trading that pick could be.. I am going to say it.. The bills should have Kept Whaley, he never have a competent Coach.. McDermott is certainly competent as a coach, now let's see him pick players

22 hours ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

Who is beleiving the Bills would pay 6 Million just to trade Tyrod.. Assume they do. Is a third or fourth round pick worth 6 million dollars, plus the salary of the acquired person... If they pay Tyrod that money, he is staying... I am fine with that just bring in some competition either through Free agency or the draft and let them compete.. who knows he might be more valuable by the trade deadline with an expiring contract and teams would have seen their existing QB in season..

Yes a 3rd round pick is worth millions. 6 is on the very high end though I agree.

for comparison: Browns pd 16 million in cap space for the Texans 2nd round pick in exchange for taking Brock O contract off Houston's books. Using that example would put a 3rd rounder at 6 mill a decent to good get. Especially considering how low the 3rd round salaries are.

I would easily trade 24 million in cap space for one year for "4" 3rd round drafts picks in a heartbeat.

You could package them with Bills first rounders and move up to get that QB Bills need.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Basically.

Both those guys had no idea about QBs.

It made 0 sense to me. Tyrod was CLEARLY a better QB than EJ. 

And Whaley also wanted Tyrod gone after the 2016 season which again made 0 sense to me considering how obvious it was that Rex and his moron brother were the brunt of the problem with the team.

The guy was just QB blind. 

Whaley actually could pick players.....his fatal flaw that eventually did him in is he could not find QBs.

Even Tyrod was not a Whaley guy