Joe B: I think Tyrod’s a Goner

3 hours ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

You people on this board have such bad memory... Everyone knows Tyrod is in Buffalo because if Rex... Whaley never was sold on Tyrod... He wanted EJ to start. In my opinion EJ had a better preseason throwing the ball than Tyrod.. but we as fans always like the new guy.. It was Whaley that benched Tyrod the last game of the season.. It was Whaley who wanted to draft Mahomes and McDermott give him to Andy Reid..Now we are looking to draft a QB.. Do you guys understand what a huge mistake trading that pick could be.. I am going to say it.. The bills should have Kept Whaley, he never have a competent Coach.. McDermott is certainly competent as a coach, now let's see him pick players

Where do I begin.... EJ was never better than TT and preseason means little (Peterman looked good in preseason too as I recall) Wasn't it Whaley who hired Rex? Wasn't it Whaley who made the "Sammy Watkins Tradeup"? Didn't Whaley take full responsibility for drafting EJ in the first place? Or are you saying the Whaley was just another "Yes Man" willing to do whatever he thought Pegula wanted him to do? If that's the case Whaley never should have been the GM in the 1st place. 

Which thread do I post this in?    so many to choose from 

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31268/are-the-bills-planning-on-keeping-tyrod-taylor-or-not

Are the Bills planning on keeping Tyrod Taylor or not?

Quarterback has rightfully been the hottest topic around the Buffalo Bills at the NFL combine in Indianapolis this week, given the importance of the position and uncertainty surrounding the future of the team at the spot.

Coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane cooled speculation the Bills could move on from starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor, with McDermott going as far in a news conference Wednesday to say cutting Taylor is not in the team's plans.

Yet McDermott seemed to strike a slightly different tune in speaking to SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday, saying the team still had to decide whether to keep Taylor. Beane also qualified his comments in a news conference Wednesday by saying the team is "happy" with Taylor "until we decide different."

Seven weeks removed from the Buffalo's playoff loss to Jacksonville and less than two weeks before the start of free agency, the future remains cloudy for the 28-year-old signal-caller.

There are a few ways to interpret the public comments from Beane and McDermott, all of which are tied into the possible paths the team might take with its starting quarterback: trade or release Taylor before his $6 million roster bonus is due March 16; trade or release him after the bonus is paid; or keep him as the starter in 2018.

I buy the sentiment which has been stated before several times.

TT is Plan B or C.

If they sign a FA starter - TT is gone for sure

If they move up and draft a QB - I think TT is gone and hopefully via trade.  It is possible they keep him as an inexpensive bridge unless Peterman really shows up.

If they don't have the chance to find a QB they want in FA or Draft - TT is probably going to be on the roster in 2018 unless Peterman has an amazing training camp.  He's inexpensive.

In my view - they'll keep Peterman around because he's cheap, but I don't think they are going to bet the house on him after what he showed last season when given opportunities.

On 3/1/2018 at 8:43 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I posted something similar to this yesterday. propping him up is making his value go up in a likely potential trade.

Benching him in the middle of a playoff race in favor of a 5th round rookie who'd never thrown a pass in the NFL says a lot more about McBeane's assessment of Tyrod than 2 minutes of praise at the combine.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Benching him in the middle of a playoff race in favor of a 5th round rookie who'd never thrown a pass in the NFL says a lot more about McBeane's assessment of Tyrod than 2 minutes of praise at the combine.

Never thrown a pass in the NFL?

who finished the Saints game? 

One might call it clean up duty but still an NFL game.  

blob.png.c83e61d62c28e78e9e71c57a0ad3c229.png

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Never thrown a pass in the NFL?

who finished the Saints game? 

One might call it clean up duty but still an NFL game.  

blob.png.c83e61d62c28e78e9e71c57a0ad3c229.png

his point though wasn't so much about how many passes as it was in saying beane may not be as high on him as he and McD seem to show in their latest comments which I strongly feel is just propping him up while looking to a potential trade.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

his point though wasn't so much about how many passes as it was in saying beane may not be as high on him as he and McD seem to show in their latest comments which I strongly feel is just propping him up while looking to a potential trade.

Understood 

just a comment so he wasn’t accused of being disingenuous.  

There is a lot left for interpretation 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, BuffaloRush said:

After listening to The Bills Beat podcast from the NFL Combine, I think I’d have to agree with Joe Buscaglia sentiment that Tyrod Taylor is likely gone from the Bills roster next year.

Some people here felt that Beane and McDermott’s praise of Tyrod means he’s staying.  Joe and Matt Fairburn didn’t see it that way.  

- They feel the the positive comments are a smoke screen to make it look like the Bills are more heavily invested in Tyrod to drive up his trade value.

- He believes that the Bills might eat the $6 guarantee in dead money and trade him after FA starts because it makes his salary more attractive which could yield an a higher draft pick.  Other teams won’t have to take on the $6M if the Bills pay it.

- McDermott and Beane gave many qualifiers after many statements I.e.  Tyrod and Nate are our quarterbacks “right now” or “until otherwise.” 

- McDermott made a comment about Tyrod being able to add a “playoffs” to his resume.  Why would he need to be updating his resume?

- Finally Fairburn noted that McDermott used some of the same language in the Rapaport story.  He didn’t make the jump that McDermott was the source, but that was the impression I was left with.  Maybe it’s just me.

So despite what you might see or hear it sounds very much like he’s on shaky ground.  

Really Joe? 

The bold underlined one is the only one that matters. I believe these guys are at the end of the honest, and they being direct and honest, without telling the whole story.  Tyrod is a safety net in some way or fashion. They clearly plan on upgrading but there are a finite number of ways that is possible and if they don’t hit on one, somebody has to take snaps next year. 

Id be disappointed if they move him before they have the upgrade in place or at least as part of that transaction. 

People act like it’s impossible to be worse of at qb... 

On the balance of joes points, GMs aren’t stupid. Nobody is going to change their assessment of tyrods value based upon some contrived press conference smokescreen. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Whaley actually could pick players.....his fatal flaw that eventually did him in is he could not find QBs.

Even Tyrod was not a Whaley guy

Hos fatal flaw was that he had no vision or clue how to build a team.

also his draft track record is less than stellar

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

Yes a 3rd round pick is worth millions. 6 is on the very high end though I agree.

for comparison: Browns pd 16 million in cap space for the Texans 2nd round pick in exchange for taking Brock O contract off Houston's books. Using that example would put a 3rd rounder at 6 mill a decent to good get. Especially considering how low the 3rd round salaries are.

I would easily trade 24 million in cap space for one year for "4" 3rd round drafts picks in a heartbeat.

You could package them with Bills first rounders and move up to get that QB Bills need.

Thanks cba for the interesting take on this.  I must admit I never have thought about what a draft pick is worth.

If I get some time I'm going to look for any articles/comments on this.

A 3rd round 4 year rookie deal is between 4.1 to 3.3 million with a mean of 3.7.  Which is pretty cheap.

Thanks again.