If we keep Tyrod I will still love my Bills

I like Tyrod he is a good person and may not be the best quarterback but he does have some great talents at times . If he stays with Buffalo I will still support the Bills no matter what happens . Try to think positive . Last year we were 9-7 and made it to the playoffs 

This year let's go for 10-6 ( still second place ) and win at least a playoff game 

GO BILLS ! 

• Like (+1) 1

Me too.

I love them even when they make mistakes.

But we see last year differently. I have no interest in the playoffs. Didn't last year either. I want this team to be competitive for a Super Bowl title. Nothing less means squat to me. Last year's team was not good enough to be competitive for a title and frankly I wish they had lost more games instead and improved their draft position. 

I'm glad for people who feel this was a monkey off their back. My monkey is still there and will be till we're truly an excellent team.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Me too.

But we see last year differently. I have no interest in the playoffs. Didn't last year either. I want this team to be competitive for a Super Bowl title. Nothing less means squat to me. Last year's team was not good enough to be competitive for a title and frankly I wish they had lost more games instead and improved their draft position. 

I'm glad for people who feel this was a monkey off their back. My monkey is still there and will be till we're truly an excellent team.

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

Playoffs are just a stepping stone, but necessary to winning a Super Bowl. I want consistent playoff appearances, eventually we'll get in. Got to establish a winning culture and a winning environment at One Bills Drive.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Me too.

I also want to win an SB and agree that Tyrod is not the QB  likely to cause that to happen.  However, since I am afraid this TEAM  will need to walk before they run, that this squad is too old and needs to replace too many key parts that trading away draft resources to move and grab some alleged franchise QB like Darnold or either Josh is the wromg road to take to win the SB as soon as we can.

For me, I endorse following the Pittsburgh model of build a winning team first using our magnificent draft resource to get a startind DT (or 2), an LB, an OL guy )ort 2) and even a back-up RB.

Keep Tyrod as part of a low turnover run first (and second) O. Try to train up Peterman, but if he isn't the guy draft a QB like Big Ben when they won the SN and go for it all in 2019.

Tyrod or not, this TEAM is not ready to win it all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If there were ever a time in history that I would have said “I’m done with this team” it would have been when they let Bruce, Andre, and Thurman go all at the same time. They’ve made a ton of decisions that I haven’t agreed with over the years. At the end of the day this team is in my blood and I will never be able to just walk away. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, KingRex said:

I also want to win an SB and agree that Tyrod is not the QB  likely to cause that to happen.  However, since I am afraid this TEAM  will need to walk before they run, that this squad is too old and needs to replace too many key parts that trading away draft resources to move and grab some alleged franchise QB like Darnold or either Josh is the wromg road to take to win the SB as soon as we can.

For me, I endorse following the Pittsburgh model of build a winning team first using our magnificent draft resource to get a startind DT (or 2), an LB, an OL guy )ort 2) and even a back-up RB.

Keep Tyrod as part of a low turnover run first (and second) O. Try to train up Peterman, but if he isn't the guy draft a QB like Big Ben when they won the SN and go for it all in 2019.

Tyrod or not, this TEAM is not ready to win it all.

The Pittsburgh model is to be absolutely awful, go 1-13 and use the first overall pick to choose Terry Bradshaw. And then win four titles with him. Watch him get injured in his last year and only be able to play one game in 1983. Be pretty average for a few years. Draft two third-round QBs, Brister and O'Donnell. Become a really terrific team with decent QBs and yet don't draft a QB. Be very good but don't have a great QB and don't win a title. Draft Slash in the 2nd. Continue being an excellent team without a QB and continue not winning titles.

Then, finally, have a really bad year, go 6-10. Be lucky enough to do this when the next year's draft is the single best QB draft in history. Have the Buffalo Bills decide not to trade up in front of you to steal Roethlisberger because it was too expensive to do so. Draft the third-best QB of the class and have it turn out to be a terrific response to the stroke of luck of having a franchise guy available when your pick arrived.

Pittsburgh was wildly wildly lucky that they ever got in  position to draft Roethlisberger. The Bills have had the same problem for years now in that they've never been awful enough to get a single top three or four draft pick in a year when it would allow them to get a QB. The Pittsburgh model was to be very very lucky. Not a good model to follow.

Yeah, teams often need to walk before they run. But when you're working on reaching not the playoffs but the championship tier, your first priority every single year should be getting a franchise QB. Any time you have a chance to do that - as we appear to have this year - you do it, you bring in excellent scouts and you draft one of the guys they tell you fits your system and stands a good chance of being a franchise guy. You don't wait. You make all the sacrifices you need to make.

Agreed that they're not ready to win it all, Tyrod or not. But they don't have a franchise QB. Getting one is mission number one right now and forever until they do so.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

Playoffs are just a stepping stone, but necessary to winning a Super Bowl. I want consistent playoff appearances, eventually we'll get in. Got to establish a winning culture and a winning environment at One Bills Drive.

Yup. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. 

And yeah, playoffs are a stepping stone necessary to winning a Super Bowl. So is winning one single game. So is winning a road game. So is going .500. And that's the same kind of accomplishment that "making the playoffs" is. Something you have to do, but not very important in itself. Nothing to be proud of. Nothing to agonize about. If you're worrying about making the playoffs, you're not a good team yet.

Consistent playoff appearances don't win you Super Bowls. There are plenty of teams through history to be consistent playoff patsies for years for the real teams. Look at the Colts after they got Luck. Three playoffs in a row but simply not a good enough team. Look at the Bengals making the playoffs six times between 2009 and 2015. Tons more examples. Making the playoffs regularly doesn't make you a Super Bowl contender. Being a really really good team is what gives you that shot.

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. 

And yeah, playoffs are a stepping stone necessary to winning a Super Bowl. So is winning one single game. So is winning a road game. So is going .500. And that's the same kind of accomplishment that "making the playoffs" is. Something you have to do, but not very important in itself. Nothing to be proud of. Nothing to agonize about. If you're worrying about making the playoffs, you're not a good team yet.

Consistent playoff appearances don't win you Super Bowls. There are plenty of teams through history to be consistent playoff patsies for years for the real teams. Look at the Colts after they got Luck. Three playoffs in a row but simply not a good enough team. Look at the Bengals making the playoffs six times between 2009 and 2015. Tons more examples. Making the playoffs regularly doesn't make you a Super Bowl contender. Being a really really good team is what gives you that shot.

I feel like that now.  But I did want to break the drought badly.  Partly because I'd never seen us in a playoff game.  We got in, the monkey is off our back.  If we draft a rookie who plays 12-16 games this year and go 6-10 I won't be distraught.... now it is just about building a champion and I think the Bills have been so weighed down by the drought that they were chasing, chasing, chasing for a playoff spot for too long and not stepping back and taking a long term view.  I think McDermott and Beane were long termists anyway, but they have the room to be that all the more now.  

He needs to be replaced, but only when there is a QB on the roster who is:

1) Better

2) Ready to play

That's the only logical approach.

As a person, Tyrod seems like a cool guy, too bad he's not an elite QB, but that's life...

Edited by T-Bomb

39 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

He needs to be replaced, but only when there is a QB on the roster who is:

1) Better

2) Ready to play

That's the only logical approach.

As a person, Tyrod seems like a cool guy, too bad he's not an elite QB, but that's life...

Shouldn't be hard to find someone who is better and read to play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

The Pittsburgh model is to be absolutely awful, go 1-13 and use the first overall pick to choose Terry Bradshaw. And then win four titles with him. Watch him get injured in his last year and only be able to play one game in 1983. Be pretty average for a few years. Draft two third-round QBs, Brister and O'Donnell. Become a really terrific team with decent QBs and yet don't draft a QB. Be very good but don't have a great QB and don't win a title. Draft Slash in the 2nd. Continue being an excellent team without a QB and continue not winning titles.

Then, finally, have a really bad year, go 6-10. Be lucky enough to do this when the next year's draft is the single best QB draft in history. Have the Buffalo Bills decide not to trade up in front of you to steal Roethlisberger because it was too expensive to do so. Draft the third-best QB of the class and have it turn out to be a terrific response to the stroke of luck of having a franchise guy available when your pick arrived.

Pittsburgh was wildly wildly lucky that they ever got in  position to draft Roethlisberger. The Bills have had the same problem for years now in that they've never been awful enough to get a single top three or four draft pick in a year when it would allow them to get a QB. The Pittsburgh model was to be very very lucky. Not a good model to follow.

Yeah, teams often need to walk before they run. But when you're working on reaching not the playoffs but the championship tier, your first priority every single year should be getting a franchise QB. Any time you have a chance to do that - as we appear to have this year - you do it, you bring in excellent scouts and you draft one of the guys they tell you fits your system and stands a good chance of being a franchise guy. You don't wait. You make all the sacrifices you need to make.

Agreed that they're not ready to win it all, Tyrod or not. But they don't have a franchise QB. Getting one is mission number one right now and forever until they do so.

What a great great post! 

15 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I like this move.  Look we had no wide receivers this year who could break press coverage.  

No so.  Tom Brady was a sixth round pick Rodgers slipped to the 22 pick in the draft.  You play it out.  

Wrong, wrong wrong on so many levels

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Me too.

Most teams need to see and experience the playoff atmosphere first before they make their run. I have no clue how you couldn’t be happy for the team to get playoff experience while adding draft capitol for 2018. 

I think last year was an absolute success for the present and the future. I’m sorry you didn’t get to enjoy it. 

People that are happy about the playoff birth are also capable of thinking about the long term as well. it’s possible to enjoy last year, recognize it was a step in the right direction, and still want a Super Bowl. I literally don’t know how you can look back at last year after having a brand new staff,  the talent they unloaded, the draft capitol they got, and then the run to the playoffs they made and say.... “eh whatever. Wish we had lost more games”. IMO that’s absolutely crazy... and sorta disgusting to me honestly. I’m not trying to be a jerk. But it is to me. 

Losing isn’t the only way to get there man. In fact I would argue this years model is a more stable version. 

If a fan cant sit back and enjoy last season after 17 years I honestly don’t understand the point of watching at all. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty