Panthers Cut RB Jonathan Stewart

26CornerBlitz

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I like him better than Ivory, though health is a concern I suppose.

He is definitely the better player but has more wear and tear being more of a primary back for years.  Stewart has about 500 more carries than Ivory in like 35 more games. Ivory is a year younger. Perhaps this drives the price down on Ivory. Ivory is the type of guy who needs to sign before free agency if he wants to get a reasonable offer. 

He likely isn't going to find a premier spot anywhere, but he could probably find more carries elsewhere unless OBD really plans to trim 25's touches.

I definitely think we need an upgrade behind McCoy, but the important thing to remember is that we had several nobodies making plays for us throughout the season- when we switch to a more aggressive blocking scheme (Which seems likely with Dabol) I expect us to have a good run game and an ability to find someone unexpected who can handle the running. The reasons that RB's are so easy/cheap to get is because there isn't a whole lot of fundamental work happening there. A back can be successful with marginal talent in the right system. (of course, the elite backs are the guys like McCoy who bring all the talent and make things happen when plays fall apart, but we already have that)

All that to say, as much as I would like a veteran, I trust the staff to get a decent back to spell McCoy. 

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

He likely isn't going to find a premier spot anywhere, but he could probably find more carries elsewhere unless OBD really plans to trim 25's touches.

I definitely think we need an upgrade behind McCoy, but the important thing to remember is that we had several nobodies making plays for us throughout the season- when we switch to a more aggressive blocking scheme (Which seems likely with Dabol) I expect us to have a good run game and an ability to find someone unexpected who can handle the running. The reasons that RB's are so easy/cheap to get is because there isn't a whole lot of fundamental work happening there. A back can be successful with marginal talent in the right system. (of course, the elite backs are the guys like McCoy who bring all the talent and make things happen when plays fall apart, but we already have that)

All that to say, as much as I would like a veteran, I trust the staff to get a decent back to spell McCoy. 

He's familiar with Beane and McD so I wouldn't rule it out.  Peterson was about the same age and got 2 years 7 million 2.5 guaranteed.  Peterson was also a much better player before age 31. 

I don't think we'd offer 2 years, or a guarantee of much at all.  Gillislee was too rich at 2 years 6.4 million (frontloaded to a 4 million cap hit).

Its a backup running back, who doesn't catch the ball out of the backfield.  So it's hard to value him much at all without some versatility.  Not sure how he fits here.

Edited by dneveu