If we keep Tyrod. I'm done.

BuffaloBud420

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

It's a toxic relationship for both sides right now, even if he might be the best option available for a bridge, I think the relationship is irreparable at this point.

Serious question. What makes you think Hotrod and Coach McDermott have a "toxic relationship"? Seriously.  I get the benching thing. But he was re inserted as starter and was a model team mate from then as far as I can tell. If not, please explain.

Besides what is this " bridge" nonsense? I want whoever we can get or already have under center that gives us the best chance to get back to PLAYOFFS in 2018.

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Serious question. What makes you think Hotrod and Coach McDermott have a "toxic relationship"? Seriously.  I get the benching thing. But he was re inserted as starter and was a model team mate from then as far as I can tell. If not, please explain.

Besides what is this " bridge" nonsense? I want whoever we can get or already have under center that gives us the best chance to get back to PLAYOFFS in 2018.

"Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott told reporters Wednesday the organization isn't planning on releasing quarterback Tyrod Taylor.

McDermott said with regard to Taylor that it's "way too early to take anything off the table ... other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans."

That means he still isn't committed to him.

I mean he benched him, he isn't "all in" whenever he's asked about him, he dances around the issue.

It just seems like a bad relationship to me.

Here's another one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917970/article/beane-tyrod-taylor-on-bills-until-we-decide-different

Second article summed it up nicely.

The Bills are like an unhappy woman, hanging onto a subpar boyfriend, until something better comes along.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My point is, and has always been, the Josh McCown's and Ryan Fitzpatrick's are not massive downgrades. There are loads of guys who can play out there this year and the Bills aim should be to draft their guy and then have a vet placeholder around whom there will be zero fuss when he needs to be replaced... if you even need that if said rookie is not ready week 1.

Interesting strategy. Sign a worse veteran QB so the rookie looks better in comparison. If only we had signed Tebow last year! Peterman might not have looked nearly as bad. 

People can say "oh there is no drama with Tyrod it would be no distraction" but I simply don't agree. And this isn't on Tyrod. Tyrod is a good pro. But if they are 3-1 or even 2-2 and they bench him he will say he doesn't agree with the decision and there will be media distraction for a week. The Bills didn't cope great with that last year.

There was only drama because Peterman was so obviously unprepared to be a starter. The Bills made a colossal misjudgment that almost derailed their season. That's why the media jumped on it. Not because of anything Tyrod said. And the Bills went 4-2 the rest of the season while beating every team not named the Patriots. I'd say they coped extremely well with the distraction. 

People can say this is about me hating Tyrod or making an emotional decision if they want. But I don't do emotional... hardly at all in life. This is cold, hard, rationale thought. Disagree? Fine. But this is head not heart.

Replacing the QB with someone worse just to make you feel better about the transition is pure emotion, and I guarantee you that McDermott and Beane have never considered intentionally making their team worse just to avoid potential media pressure. 

32 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

"Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott told reporters Wednesday the organization isn't planning on releasing quarterback Tyrod Taylor.

McDermott said with regard to Taylor that it's "way too early to take anything off the table ... other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans." 

That means he still isn't committed to him.

I mean he benched him, he isn't "all in" whenever he's asked about him, he dances around the issue.

It just seems like a bad relationship to me.

Here's another one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917970/article/beane-tyrod-taylor-on-bills-until-we-decide-different

Second article summed it up nicely.

The Bills are like an unhappy woman, hanging onto a subpar boyfriend, until something better comes along.

"When you look at our quarterback position, Tyrod and Nate [Peterman], those are two good quarterbacks," McDermott said. "Tyrod now can add to his resume that he helped and was instrumental in getting us to the playoffs and breaking a 17-year drought. You've heard me say it before, his work ethic and intangibles are unmatched, and his leadership that goes along with the position. We're still going through that process. We're in a good position, with some options out there. So that will work itself out."

Toxic?

They're trying to IMPROVE the roster. Smart. Toxic? If it truly was " toxic" as you suggest, why not just go ahead and dump him now?

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

These posts are hilarious.  We make the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and now people are "done" with the franchise because we are keeping our capable starting QB to serve for a year as a bridge QB?

Wow. We snuck into the playoffs At 9-7 cause of weak AFC conference and a miracle play by the Bengals. The streak had to end eventually. We are just as weak at QB as we have been. No need to waste another year with Tyrod.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Toxic?

They're trying to IMPROVE the roster. Smart. Toxic? If it truly was " toxic" as you suggest, why not just go ahead and dump him now?

I had a really nice response that my phone didn't save...

Sorry if this one isn't as eloquent.

People stay in toxic relationships all the time, waiting for the next bf/gf to come along, because they are afraid of being alone.

That's how I view this situation.

If they can't trade up and get the top guy they want, I feel like:

They are basically saying "well, we aren't confident in Tyrod as our long term QB, but I guess we might wind up staying with him just so we don't have to go to Xmas dinner with the family alone and look like a loser (or in this case roll out Peterman/rookie)

17 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I had a really nice response that my phone didn't save...

Sorry if this one isn't as eloquent.

People stay in toxic relationships all the time, waiting for the next bf/gf to come along, because they are afraid of being alone.

That's how I view this situation.

If they can't trade up and get the top guy they want, I feel like:

They are basically saying "well, we aren't confident in Tyrod as our long term QB, but I guess we might wind up staying with him just so we don't have to go to Xmas dinner with the family alone and look like a loser (or in this case roll out Peterman/rookie)

OK

They could take Nasty Nate to Xmas dinner.

I think Coach McDermott wants to win. Dumping a guy you can go to playoffs with when you don't have anybody better would be   just plain dumb if you're trying to win. I don't think it has anything due to an alleged toxicity level of the relationship. Its just bidness.

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:
Andrew BrandtVerified account @AndrewBrandt 53s54 seconds ago
The Glennon signing, like the Eagles/Bradford signing a year before, are cautionary tales for teams signing veterans and also considering 1st round QBs. Days of expensive placeholder quarterbacks are numbered.

I'd take Bradford too, if we can get him on a reasonable contract.  He's bound to have an injury-free year at some point.  Then again, as I said in the Baker thread, I'm a Sooners homer, so yeah, I'd be happy with either :)

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:
Andrew BrandtVerified account @AndrewBrandt 53s54 seconds ago
The Glennon signing, like the Eagles/Bradford signing a year before, are cautionary tales for teams signing veterans and also considering 1st round QBs. Days of expensive placeholder quarterbacks are numbered.

I  wish we could sign a guy and the next year trade him for a 1st round draft pick and  conditional 4th round pick.

3 hours ago, MPT said:

Interesting strategy. Sign a worse veteran QB so the rookie looks better in comparison. If only we had signed Tebow last year! Peterman might not have looked nearly as bad. 

There was only drama because Peterman was so obviously unprepared to be a starter. The Bills made a colossal misjudgment that almost derailed their season. That's why the media jumped on it. Not because of anything Tyrod said. And the Bills went 4-2 the rest of the season while beating every team not named the Patriots. I'd say they coped extremely well with the distraction. 

Replacing the QB with someone worse just to make you feel better about the transition is pure emotion, and I guarantee you that McDermott and Beane have never considered intentionally making their team worse just to avoid potential media pressure. 

Horsecrap. More straw men and nonsense. 

I have and will never advocate for making this team worse, but when you go from a capable starting vet with a low ceiling lile Tyrod to a rookie there will be some growing pains. It is possible that means that the Quarterback play in 2018 is on a level or even worse than 2017. The answer is not "hold onto Tyrod in case tje next guy is rubbish." That is a loser attitude.

Trade up, get the best guy you can and intend on getting him on the field as soon as you can. Cut out the drama that is Tyrod's story with the Bills and find yourself some veteran insurance where there is less water under the bridge.

To me that is the logical way of approaching this offseason. 

But yet again anyone suggesting anything that is not "Tyrod" is attacked. Cult. I thought, and hoped, we were past this. 

Edited by GunnerBill

7 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'm done watching Tyrod, and since he's going to cost $18 mil I don't want him

Plus, do you think he's going to be happy if we keep him, knowing he's just cannon fodder until the next QB is ready?

After MCD benched him?

It's a toxic relationship for both sides right now, even if he might be the best option available for a bridge, I think the relationship is irreparable at this point.

Except for the following:

1. While Tyrod may cost $18 M, cutting him costs several million PLUS whatever his veteran replacement costs, which is likely to be well over $18 M combined. I am fine with that provided that the replacement is better than Tyrod. But who out there do we believe will be better than Tyrod and cost LESS than, say, $12-$13 M (which would still cost more against the cap than Tyrod)?

2. Tyrod's a big boy and understands that it is a business. It is pretty obvious that he was not the Bills' first choice last year either. The team forced him to re-work his contract. He could have declined and forced a parting of ways. The fact that both sides came to the resolution they did makes it pretty clear that the Bills did not see a viable and affordable replacement available, and Tyrod and his agent realized that they were not going to get a better deal from any other team.

The team appears to be planning for multiple contingencies at the QB position this year, which is a great thing to do. Listening to both McD and B yesterday it is pretty clear that they do not see Tyrod as the long term answer. While pimping his positive aspects, neither was willing to endorse him. That sounds like either a sales pitch to potential trading partners or to fans like the OP should the team decide not to part ways with him. 

With the league so starved for QBs, I remain hopeful that there will be a trading partner out there. Who knows? If a starter for one of the other 31 teams goes down in training camp, Tyrod would suddenly become a very hot commodity (a la Sam Bradford to the Vikings a couple of years ago). Of course, for even that situation to work, the Bills themselves would have had to address the QB situation in the draft and/or free agency.

Edited by 2003Contenders

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

Except for the following:

1. While Tyrod may cost $18 M, cutting him costs several million PLUS whatever his veteran replacement costs, which is likely to be well over $18 M combined. I am fine with that provided that the replacement is better than Tyrod. But who out there do we believe will be better than Tyrod and cost LESS than, say, $12-$13 M (which would still cost more against the cap than Tyrod)?

2. Tyrod's a big boy and understands that it is a business. It is pretty obvious that he was not the Bills' first choice last year either. The team forced him to re-work his contract. He could have declined and forced a parting of ways. The fact that both sides came to the resolution they did makes it pretty clear that the Bills did not see a viable and affordable replacement available, and Tyrod and his agent realized that they were not going to get a better deal from any other team.

The team appears to be planning for multiple contingencies at the QB position this year, which is a great thing to do. Listening to both McD and B yesterday it is pretty clear that they do not see Tyrod as the long term answer. While pimping his positive aspects, neither was willing to endorse him. That sounds like either a sales pitch to potential trading partners or to fans like the OP should the team decide not to part ways with him. 

With the league so starved for QBs, I remain hopeful that there will be a trading partner out there. Who knows? If a starter for one of the other 31 teams goes down in training camp, Tyrod would suddenly become a very hot commodity (a la Sam Bradford to the Vikings a couple of years ago). Of course, for even that situation to work, the Bills themselves would have had to address the QB situation in the draft and/or free agency.

Again, keeping Tyrod isn't $18 mill. It's $23 mill. If we keep him this year, next year in 2019 he'll be somewhere else and we'll be paying yet another $5.6 mill in dead money. The alternative is cutting/trading him now and taking the $8 mill in dead money this year. Saving $15 mill on a QB who doesn't fit the one requirement our coach gave for a QB makes a lot of sense.

Hope you're right about a trading partner. I tend to doubt it, but it's certainly very possible. Their threat to pay him the $6 mill roster bonus had to be a wake-up call for teams that assumed he'd be cut. He could easily be cut in March if they can't trade him of course, but that's not as much of a gimme now as it had been. It was smart of the Bills to put that out there.

Thing is, the league isn't starved for QBs. the league is starved of really good QBs but Tyrod being available wouldn't change that. And this year is a very tough year for FA QBs because of the large number of replacement value guys on top of this year being a good year in the draft. Cousins is the kind of guy who is almost never available in FA, and on top of that there's whoever becomes available out of Keenum/Bridgewater/Bradford. On top of Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen and Jackson. 

This isn't a good year to be holding onto an FA of Tyrod's ability and trying to maximize his value in trade. Last year would've been a significantly better time to try for a trade. Last year the leading FAs were Cutler, and Kaepernick. If Romo hadn't retired he would've made things much better but once the Pats decided - or said they did - to keep Garoppolo, those were the best guys out there, Cutler and Kaepernick. With what was widely considered a bad year in the draft, though that looks now to have been a misjudgement. 

But this year there's a lot of choice out there for teams unhappy with their situation at QB.

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Toxic?

Nope, not toxic. As a matter of fact, you're the one who brought up the word. The guy you replied to didn't use it.

Why not dump him now? Trade possibilities, for one thing. What do they lose by keeping him and trying to trade him. They lose nothing till March 16th.

Cut out the drama that is Tyrod's story with the Bills

You keep saying this stupid ****...  The only drama is the drama you're creating!

Luckily, the McBeane FO doesn't seem to be the drama queen type. They'll keep Tyrod if no other, as good/as cheap, veteran option becomes available. 

Edited by T-Bomb

19 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

Cant stand another year of garbage QB play from the Bills...and people getting exciting about signing a 30 year old corner is a joke. EJ Gaines is 10x the player. 

If TT agrees to grow out his hair and  it turns out to just as beautiful as Poz's, would that get you to stay?