If we keep Tyrod. I'm done.

BuffaloBud420

On 2/28/2018 at 10:34 AM, BuffaloBud420 said:

Cant stand another year of garbage QB play from the Bills...and people getting exciting about signing a 30 year old corner is a joke. EJ Gaines is 10x the player. 

I hope they keep him.  I'l take his garbage play over your garbage posting any day.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh McCown played this year on a 1 year $6.5m contract. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick played on a 1 year $3m contract. 

We had this last year as well "it's impossible to get rid of Tyrod and save money without getting a lot worse".  Rubbish I said.  I mentioned three names this time last year:

- Case Keenum who played on a 1 year $2m deal and outplayed Tyrod;

- Nick Foles who played on a 2 year $11m deal and won a Superbowl; and

- Brian Hoyer who signed a 3 year $4.5m contract and lost his job. 

2 out of those 3 would have been as successful as Tyrod was here.  Now I actually thought once Tyrod renegotiated last summer that keeping him on the new deal was the best solution.  I said early last offseason "don't be surprised if he takes a pay cut to come back" he did.  But having gone through a year of another regime giving him a lukewarm reception and benching him for a Quarterback that sucked and having the chaos that threatened to engulf the whole season that fortnight I don't think even at what I accept is a price that is still in the market of realistic for a bridge Quarterback I think it is right to move on from Tyrod.  

Well... I guess it's not totally impossible to get strong QB production on a very cheap contract.  Just highly unlikely.

In most of the cases you mentioned (Keenum, Foles, McCown), you have bottom-level career backups who were signed to hold clipboards and somehow got thrust into action and managed the best seasons of their lives in 2017.  Fitzpatrick and Hoyer did not outperform Taylor last year, so I'm not even sure why you brought them up.

If you look at the top Free Agent guys available (outside of Kirk Cousins, of course), you have Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater and AJ McCarron.  None of these guys will be playing for anything less than $10 million per year, and most are expecting these guys to fall right in the same range of Taylor's current contract.  If you are trying to get one of these guys as a "bridge" - then you might as well just keep Taylor on the roster and save your money.

If you are looking to land a crazy bargain (like your examples above), then the Bills will need to replace Taylor with someone like Tom Savage, Matt Moore, Geno Smith, Derek Anderson, Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez or Ryan Mallet.  These are the guys who will be signing for $2-6 million per year.  In my opinion, all of these players are significant on-field downgrades to Taylor.  Not to mention, keeping Taylor and not signing a street FA will keep us in play for compensation picks in 2019.

Edited by mjt328

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, GunnerBill said:

We will see soon enough.  I am 90% certain he will be gone.  

Wasn't it 95% just a few days ago?

Note that the "not a CHANCE Tyrod is a Bill in 2018!!!" narrative has been slowly shifting for the last month.

Do we need to go through the stages of grief and provide counseling for this message board if Taylor is retained?  0:) 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well obviously I don't speak for the OP.  But my view is absolutely not an emotional one. I don't think it has to be a "better vet" to make moving on from Tyrod the right move. I agree you can't have a slightly worse vet (which is the bracket I put a McCown or a Fitz in) and have a rookie who might need to sit the whole year (Jackson for example).  That would be a stupid move.  But I think you can have a slightly worse vet, at a cheaper price, with less baggage and a rookie who you think can start by week 5 latest - Rosen, Mayfield maybe Darnold.  I also know which way round FA and the draft come... but I think the Bills have to devise their plan and stick to it.  I don't think Tyrod features in that plan unless something goes very wrong.  

Players are going to have their own strengths and weaknesses....what I dont want is a drop off in production from that position on the field.....whoever that is.

And before people start citing passing yards......lets be real about the strengths that TT DOES bring to the team and there are some......if we are going to have a honest discussion then lets not be oblivious to that.....a different qb would probably bring us more passing touchdowns and more ability to strike quick and have a better ability to come from behind and keep up with high scoring offenses.

Sometimes I hope we keep him just to hear the lamentation of some folks

But I do love my team also......and want to see my bills get back to their Super Bowl days

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, GunnerBill said:

Because I don't agree with it.  The only questions the Bills should be asking themselves are:

1) which rookie in this class do we want;

2) how do we make sure we get them;

3) how do we create the best situation for that rookie.

To me Tyrod as your veteran is not doing #3.  Now you still need a veteran... you just need one without the history, the baggage and the drama that the Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo story is.  

Soooo... you don't understand it because you don't agree with it?  :huh: 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, HappyDays said:

Sure, and that's more likely to happen than some people think. Personally my first choice for a veteran QB would be Sam Bradford, followed by Tyrod because he is already familiar with the players and is comfortable playing in Buffalo. I am sure Daboll could actually build an offense that suits him. If the rookie comes in and blows Tyrod out of the water in camp so be it, everyone wins. So if I were the Bills I'd see if I could get at least a 4th for Tyrod, if not I would just keep him as the veteran in an open competition.

Really?

Bradford's a walking injury.

19 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Soooo... you don't understand it because you don't agree with it?  :huh: 

me thinks the word, 'fanatic' was derived with someone of your nature in mind.

Tyrod, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh........

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/28/2018 at 9:51 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I fart in your general direction.

But was his mother a hamster?  And what did his father smell like?

On 2/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that this is probably true. The only guy that I think wouldn’t play by mid season is Allen.

IMHO Rosen is the only sure initial or mid-season starter with Darnold a strong maybe.  But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

21 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Exactly hap.

I would honestly rather a guy who is subpar but durable as a bridge

Bottom line is, looking at our schedule, we are most likely going to regress next year no matter who is an QB, so I would rather a guy who is going to make it through the season.

Ummm... what about our schedule tells you we're going to regress?

I expect this team to be better next year, no matter who is at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, horned dogs said:

When I used to coach ice hockey I took a puck to the mouth that resulted in about 50 stitches. Bleed like a bleeping pig all over the rink, in my friends truck etc. Then they got it contained in the emergency room and bandaged. The nurse was then told to get it prepped for stitching. She then proceeded to tear of the bandage and in the process created a "bleeder", it was shooting all over in a stream. They all flipped out and couldn't get it stopped. Very disconcerting....one of the idiots actually said "don't worry, you have a lot of blood!". A friggin' priest walked in and started saying prayers. I'm thinking holy **** this must be worst than I thought...last rites. Eventually this army doctor, just back from Iraq, walks in, calmly grabs a device to cauterize it... stops it.. and says relax everyone I've seen gunshot wounds much worse! .......Then starts the stitching.

Oh fer cripes sake no one with the wit to grab a handful of gauze sponges, shove them at your mouth and hold while they got the cautery?  They just don't make ER staff like they used to.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

21 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yes, it was, and we played above expectations, and caught a couple of teams at cold times (KC, falcons without Jones, etc) and still needed a miracle collapse by the Ravens to make the playoffs

That most likely won't happen again, especially since this year is even harder on paper.

I don't even think this coming year is harder on paper, but that's why they play the games, anyway, right?

18 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

"Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott told reporters Wednesday the organization isn't planning on releasing quarterback Tyrod Taylor.

McDermott said with regard to Taylor that it's "way too early to take anything off the table ... other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans."

That means he still isn't committed to him.

I mean he benched him, he isn't "all in" whenever he's asked about him, he dances around the issue.

It just seems like a bad relationship to me.

Here's another one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917970/article/beane-tyrod-taylor-on-bills-until-we-decide-different

Second article summed it up nicely.

The Bills are like an unhappy woman, hanging onto a subpar boyfriend, until something better comes along.

Why does McDermott need to be "all in" with Tyrod OR have a toxic relationship with him?

Why is it one or the other?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh fer cripes sake no one with the wit to grab a handful of gauze sponges, shove them at your mouth and hold while they got the cautery?  They just don't make ER staff like they used to.

Something to be said for Medical people who are calm, confident and able to control their emotions!

Guys it's pretty obvious.  They will pay him the roster bonus then see what happens in the draft/FA.

That's the smart thing to do IMO.  Can't have Peterman starting next season, or for that matter a 2nd round rookie.

I don't expect McBeane to do a silly trade into the top 5, so we're not looking at one of the top QB prospects, have to keep Taylor.

4 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Guys it's pretty obvious.  They will pay him the roster bonus then see what happens in the draft/FA.

That's the smart thing to do IMO.  Can't have Peterman starting next season, or for that matter a 2nd round rookie.

I don't expect McBeane to do a silly trade into the top 5, so we're not looking at one of the top QB prospects, have to keep Taylor.

...I'd say a pretty fair assessment.....only difference is reference to "top prospects" versus McBeane make think about the "next tier", perhaps 2nd or 3rd+ round options....."next tier" would NOT settle well here IMO, but anything is possible.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummm... what about our schedule tells you we're going to regress?

I expect this team to be better next year, no matter who is at QB.

The fact that the schedule is harder this year than last year??

The fact that we most likely will be making a QB change, with a new OC, we may see some growing pains.

We are playing away at:

-jax

-chargers

-Titans

-pats

-jets

-lions

All of those are tough games.

At home we have for tough games:

-Ravens

-Packers

-Texans

-Vikings

-pats

-jets

Detroit is most likely a shootout with Stafford, so I'm not sure we will outscore them.

-Texans will be tough if Watson is back healthy

-bears are a top10 D, but their offense sucks, but it's away so yeah, it's not an ez game.

Looking at our whole schedule, 9 teams were not playoff teams, but of those 9 teams, Baltimore, chargers, Packers, Texans are all very good

Miami isn't bad if Tanny is healthy.

Again, it's a harder schedule than we had this year, and our QB situation and OC are still unknowns.

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

The fact that the schedule is harder this year than last year??

The fact that we most likely will be making a QB change, with a new OC, we may see some growing pains.

We are playing away at:

-jax

-chargers

-Titans

-pats

-jets

-lions

All of those are tough games.

At home we have for tough games:

-Ravens

-Packers

-Texans

-Vikings

-pats

-jets

Detroit is most likely a shootout with Stafford, so I'm not sure we will outscore them.

-Texans will be tough if Watson is back healthy

-bears are a top10 D, but their offense sucks, but it's away so yeah, it's not an ez game.

Looking at our whole schedule, 9 teams were not playoff teams, but of those 9 teams, Baltimore, chargers, Packers, Texans are all very good

Miami isn't bad if Tanny is healthy.

Again, it's a harder schedule than we had this year, and our QB situation and OC are still unknowns.

You know...just maybe we are better on defense in our 2nd year with McD?

Got some youngster's that can also be even better in their 2nd year like our top 3 drafted players and Milano?

Our offense was not good last year.....what if it improves?

We played the jags....in the playoffs....on the road.....very tough

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't even think this coming year is harder on paper, but that's why they play the games, anyway, right?

Why does McDermott need to be "all in" with Tyrod OR have a toxic relationship with him?

Why is it one or the other?

Because he's not confident in his QB, and benched him last year in the midst of a playoff push, and still has yet to fully commit to him.

That sounds to me like "well... He's our QB, I don't like him much, but I'm stuck with him..."

It's okay though trans, I'm sure you take it as "he's the best QB ever I love him"

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wasn't it 95% just a few days ago?

Note that the "not a CHANCE Tyrod is a Bill in 2018!!!" narrative has been slowly shifting for the last month.

Do we need to go through the stages of grief and provide counseling for this message board if Taylor is retained?  0:) 

Nope. It has been 90% consistently. 

Taylor will not be retained. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

You know...just maybe we are better on defense in our 2nd year with McD?

Got some youngster's that can also be even better in their 2nd year like our top 3 drafted players and Milano?

Our offense was not good last year.....what if it improves?

We played the jags....in the playoffs....on the road.....very tough

I agree, that's a lot of ifs .

I would love improvement, but I don't see us getting better than 9 wins from last year.