NFL Could Change Defensive Pass Interference to a 15-yard Penalty - Unlikely to be Adopted

26CornerBlitz

10 hours ago, cage said:

Couldn't they do it the same way they've modified "roughing the kicker"?  There's a 5 yd version and a 15 yd automatic first down version.  A close, aggressive play where there was some contact could be a 15 yard penalty (hand on the back, hands on should or arm as ball is arriving...).  However blatant PI, obvious mugging, not even turning to play the ball is a spot foul.  Also gives referees some latitude on late "hail mary" passes.  Those heaves always make me nervous that the offense will get a cheap PI penalty,... not sure how much that actually happens.  Anyway, penalty could be at the discretion of referee.

This is the only reasonable change, IMHO. And it would undoubtedly cause some controversies about which version would've been correct. But would be an overall improvement,  most calls would be correct.

11 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure the Pats have a play called Gronk Deep Riveron Call.

Bahahaaa!  Funny!  The Pats * probably have that play.  95% sure it’s not called that.  But, 5% chance that is exactly what that play is called!

there should be two

1 if it is an obvious pull down , meaning corner is clearing beat and is doing anything to knock down the receiver it is a spot foul 

2 all others 15 yards

if you don't have the ability to call "intentional Pass interference" any time a db is beat he will take the 15 yard penalty and yes it should be reviewable 

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'd rather see refs held accountable when making crappy calls.

Most of these PI calls are when both players are going for it.  Either flag them both, or don't throw one at all.

Totally agree that far too many of these calls are BS.  They should leave it as is, and stop being so overly protective of the WR.   

10 hours ago, Estro said:

Don't like it.

If the D interferes with a WR 7 yards down field now the offense get a 15 yard penalty.  Fans will rightfully b*tch.

If the D interferes with a WR 47 yards down field the offense only advance the ball 15 yards.  Fans will rightfully b*tch

Like others have said....if a CB gets roasted deep coaches will be teaching their corners and safeties to simply maul the WR, take the 15 yard penalty and live to see another day.  One of the most exciting plays in football is the deep bomb for a TD...and this rule change, will make that play happen far less.  Why?  

Hate it.

Anything under 15 yards can be a spot foul, that's not an issue. If your WR is getting interfered with 47 yards downfield, then he likely wasn't open in the first place.

It bears repeating, if your WR truly has the DB beat on a deep route, and the pass is accurate, there is nothing the DB can do about it. He can't tackle him. He can't even touch him. And if he can, then either a) the WR didn't get separation or b) the pass was poorly underthrown -- and in either case the offense doesn't deserve to get 50+yds of offense on a flag. That's the cheesiest play in football, and it's happening more often every year.

I cannot believe what I am reading on here. All these people who want the rule to stay as is??? and not change it?? Sorry but the officials are getting WORSE in this league not better and the amount of bad PI calls last year that resulted in huge and undeserved gains down the field was ridiculous, especially in the playoffs. The sad fact is that receivers in the NFL are now like soccer players and they fake PI and "simulate" it when they cannot get to the ball to get an undeserved call.   A bad PI call swung that Jags/Pats game in the playoffs.

I think this would be a great rule change because it would mitigate the damage from inevitable bad officiating that is only going to get worse!! The current punishment for the crime of PI doesn't equate to the offense. Its literally the worst penalty you can take in football. Even unsportmanlike or unnecessary roughing (far more serious offenses) are maxed at 15 yards yet you can gain 50 yards or more on a phantom PI call. That is simply ridiculous.

Edited by Livinginthepast

anything that takes the refs out of the game more I am in favor of.

15 yards doesn't ruin a game the way a 50 yard ticky tack BS penalty does. Just ask Jacksonville. Play an entire half of amazing football and it all goes down the drain with one flag that sets the other team right up in prime scoring position.

Guys are not going to just interfere with long passes because long passes where the DB is near enough to the WR to interfere are not likely to be completed anyway. 2/3 outcomes favor the defense: INT or incomplete. Why would you just yank a guy down and let the offense take a free 15?

If you are in the process of the WR running past you there is always the option of grabbing him as he runs by, which happens all the time now and gets you the defensive holding 5 yard 1st down penalty. Once he's past you your chance to interfere is gone.

We need fewer game-changing calls by the refs. Most playoff games this season there were fewer flags and the game is so much better to watch.

Refs should only call blatant holding or pass interference, and focus on catch/no catch, ball spots, TD/no TD, headshots and intent to injure. Enough with the refs who want to "steal the show" and get on TV while they change the outcome of games by making borderline at best calls that result in 50 yard gains.

22 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Overall I would slightly prefer them to keep the rule as is, but let the players play more and don’t call it PI unless it really impacts the play.

I absolutely HATE that. People are bitching now at how inconsistent calls are.  Imagine what happens if they deliberately make this arbitrary based on the refs perception of it if impacted the play or not. That would be worse than "is it a catch?".

Edited by CodeMonkey