Geno = Flat Earth Truther?

YoloinOhio

On 2/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, kdiggz said:

That's a pretty limited approach in my eyes as well. You don't think it would be in the best interest of any other species to have their brains grow 300% practically overnight to make them the top of the food chain? That's pretty funny. Humans are very much out of place on this planet. We have back problems from walking upright, we are defenseless as babies for many months, we would die if we lived outside in the elements so we need to build houses or live in caves, we wear other animals' fur to stay warm, we need to make tools to hunt. Also, I'm still waiting for the monkeys to evolve since we used to be them. Surely there are half monkey half humans out there somewhere

Dood, I sure hope you're joking.  Every sentence here is wrong.  Geno called, he wants his bong back.  

On 2/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, matter2003 said:

Galileo proved 500 years ago the earth was not flat, and pictures from space continue to do so(oh, they must be fake I  bet they say) and was almost put to death for heresy because people didn't want to believe it.  Now almost 500 years later these idiots with less than 5 brain cells among them want to go back to thinking from the middle ages??  Incomprehensible.

NSFW

• Haha (+1) 2

Wow.  smh.

Do your Homework?  Seriously?  STEM is failing us.  Kids who decide to avoid science & math are doomed to this sort of thinking.  Not that everyone needs to be a physicist, but a basic understanding would be helpful.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/24/2018 at 5:37 PM, WhoTom said:

:thumbsup: 

Seriously. Every great story should be a trilogy.

Yea, but the second book was just too preachy and boring.  Hoping the third is more like the original but unlikely the franchise will ever recover. . .though, even CHIPs got remade so who knows.

I've looked at the flat Earth stuff. It can be pretty compelling if you don't know anything about physics.

There are extremely simple tests you can do in your own home that prove the Earth is a sphere. For instance, the way the Earth casts a shadow on the moon: you can compare a disk's shadow with a sphere's shadow with a flashlight in a dark room and see that the Earth must be a sphere. Lots of other simple tests as well.

On 2/24/2018 at 8:22 PM, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Dinosaurs still exist. They ate them. Just as plausible.

Hey, at least we're not talking about tyrod here.  Dinosaurs kind of still do exist - the egg laying odd ball mammals.  Isaac Asimov was one of the smartest minds ever - though he could not write a character to save his life - and wrote far more non fiction than fiction.  Best teacher I ever had.  

The classification of mammals is not the internal egg nor mammary glands nor hair but rather the structure of the inner ear.  The species of dinosaur which became warm blooded and evolved into the mammals has left behind these odd ball egg layers whose inner ear is not mammalian but still reptilian.  Asimov made a strong case for their being more dinosaur than mammal.

Article - The Problem of the Platypus published in his book 'The Left Hand of the Electron' Doubleday 1972

Edited by sleeby

22 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Hey, at least we're not talking about tyrod here.  Dinosaurs kind of still do exist - the egg laying odd ball mammals.  Isaac Asimov was one of the smartest minds ever - though he could not write a character to save his life - and wrote far more non fiction than fiction.  Best teacher I ever had.  

The classification of mammals is not the internal egg nor mammary glands nor hair but rather the structure of the inner ear.  The species of dinosaur which became warm blooded and evolved into the mammals has left behind these odd ball egg layers whose inner ear is not mammalian but still reptilian.  Asimov made a strong case for their being more dinosaur than mammal.

Article - The Problem of the Platypus published in his book 'The Left Hand of the Electron' Doubleday 1972

Only the flaw in your argument is the modern findings place dinosaurs closer related to birds than reptiles.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

The real question to ask a flat earther is why would they want us to believe it was round what benefit is that to them. 

I believe that science is its own dogmatic religion and it is fine to question accepted scientific fact (fwiw making observations with our limited perspective is like saying you know what a billion piece puzzle looks like when all you have a piece of cardboard dust from the box), but there needs to be an open-mindedness to such questioning and equally compelling facts that aren't actually a bunch of debunked observations with no validity.  The interesting part of this flat Earth stuff is that they are actually promoting some idea that very powerful people know and are intending to deceive everyone - while there is certainly some truth to the underlying sentiment that there are very powerful people that benefit from exploiting people - it totally undermines how much power the majority has if they exercise it because it creates a myth that this small power group is way stronger and persuasive than we could imagine.  It's an interesting psychology, but its actually not surprising.,

22 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

I believe that science is its own dogmatic religion and it is fine to question accepted scientific fact (fwiw making observations with our limited perspective is like saying you know what a billion piece puzzle looks like when all you have a piece of cardboard dust from the box), but there needs to be an open-mindedness to such questioning and equally compelling facts that aren't actually a bunch of debunked observations with no validity.  The interesting part of this flat Earth stuff is that they are actually promoting some idea that very powerful people know and are intending to deceive everyone - while there is certainly some truth to the underlying sentiment that there are very powerful people that benefit from exploiting people - it totally undermines how much power the majority has if they exercise it because it creates a myth that this small power group is way stronger and persuasive than we could imagine.  It's an interesting psychology, but its actually not surprising.,

There's this thing called, "the scientific method," and this other thing called, "peer review."

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

...and I will say this, science told me we were in a solar system with 9 planets until science told me we were in a solar system with 8 planets.

Please - that's simply a change in classification based on evidence that wasn't available at the time Pluto was discovered. It's not like they arbitrarily decided that Pluto no longer exists.

Science adapts when confronted by new information.

Edited by WhoTom

Just now, WhoTom said:

Please - that's simply a change in classification. It's not like they just decided that Pluto no longer exists.

Tom, I am just kidding.  My bad as I was going to continue on by saying that we need to call our probes back that show us in a 9 planet solar system...probably would have made my position more apparent.  

I posted here earlier with respect to Geno's position.

45 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

...and I will say this, science told me we were in a solar system with 9 planets until science told me we were in a solar system with 8 planets.

this is only temporary. when science 'discovers' Nibiru, then there will be 9 planets again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Tom, I am just kidding.  My bad as I was going to continue on by saying that we need to call our probes back that show us in a 9 planet solar system...probably would have made my position more apparent.  

I posted here earlier with respect to Geno's position.

Oh - sorry about that. When it comes to science deniers, it's hard to tell the difference between satire and someone's actual opinion.

• Haha (+1) 1