Jags release RB Chris Ivory - Update! Visited Bills 2/26

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't understand the Ivory interest at all.  We need a young kid in the pipeline due to McCoy's age.  I have zero interest in another 29 year old RB.

he would be another signing that didnt cost the Bills a draft pick to use and wont hurt the comp picks for next year

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't understand the Ivory interest at all.  We need a young kid in the pipeline due to McCoy's age.  I have zero interest in another 29 year old RB.

why is age so important to you? They can sign Ivory and still get a young kid. Ivory would be a good backup

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

they probably feel McCoy is still playing at a high level and will worry about his replacement in a year or two.

Nah I think they will draft his replacement this year

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Oh they can and probably will. I'm just thinking Ivory will probably want too much

Doubt that 

16 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I cant see the Bills giving him what he would be asking for.

I'd rather draft one

I don't believe his asking price will be high.  There are many good prospects entering the draft and he's not a lead back.   A modest contract is in order for him and he won't hurt in the compensatory pick formula.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

He's about to turn 30....and is a violent, angry runner which I truly respected during his career. However, and some people are going to have a meltdown over this, but I do think this means Shady is on the trading block. If the Bills are seriously considering giving Ivory a job, even a back-up role at the age of 30 the way he runs (and I think he's had a concussion history if I'm not mistaken), then the Bills must be planning on Drafting their "starter" and trading Shady for something of value to the team, ala needed player or Draft pick. 

I just don't see the Bills going  into 2018 with their RBs looking like two 30 year old RBs with many miles on those legs and one Rookie. I can see a Cadet / Ivory / Rookie combo with the Rookie starting...but that's just me. 

Maybe but I think that’s a bit drastic. I just think he would be another RB in the arsenal. I think they would like a stable of backs, a mix of vets and rookies. 

I know we always make fun of the people who want to sign released players all of the time, but this makes sense. It's an area of need and a guy who played very little last year. The revelation of TJ Yeldon and having Fournette buried Ivory. He is older, but should be fresh. He also played for our RB coach. 

Beane came out and said he would be mindful of the comp pick formula. Signing released players is how you fill out your roster without sacrificing future comp picks. I think we will continue to see Beane jump all over these types of players. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nah I think they will draft his replacement this year

Doubt that 

They could but would you assume that would be round 2-3?  If that's the case, I think that comes more than likely next year.

I'm just thinking they have the front 7 they are probably looking to shore up and will use picks towards that unit.
JMO

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Feels like every free agent wants to see what the Bills are up to... when's the last time we could say that?

me thinks the interest lies in the fact that they made the post season last year and they may feel they can make a deeper push with a team that shows promise?

7 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

experience helps.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They could but would you assume that would be round 2-3?  If that's the case, I think that comes more than likely next year.

I'm just thinking they have the front 7 they are probably looking to shore up and will use picks towards that unit.
JMO

Nope this draft is absolutely loaded at RB. Could be 4th or later with a potential starter. 

Now if Sony Michel is there in the 2nd I take him, otherwise there are tons of RBs i love.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Beane is playing with comp picks brilliantly. Any player we sign now does not count against our comp picks, but if we lose them next year they will count for our comp picks. These are Belichick type moves. I love what our front office is doing. And Ivory should still have some left in the tank. He's basically just a much better Tolbert.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

He's about to turn 30....and is a violent, angry runner which I truly respected during his career. However, and some people are going to have a meltdown over this, but I do think this means Shady is on the trading block. If the Bills are seriously considering giving Ivory a job, even a back-up role at the age of 30 the way he runs (and I think he's had a concussion history if I'm not mistaken), then the Bills must be planning on Drafting their "starter" and trading Shady for something of value to the team, ala needed player or Draft pick. 

I just don't see the Bills going  into 2018 with their RBs looking like two 30 year old RBs with many miles on those legs and one Rookie. I can see a Cadet / Ivory / Rookie combo with the Rookie starting...but that's just me. 

Could be right, but I disagree.  Ivory is a perfect compliment to Shady in 2018.  He’s a hammer that can also be useful in the pass game.  Not every signing has to be about the long term.  He’d come relatively cheap, won’t count against the comp picks and is a solid backup.  Perfect for what McBeane is doing.  Not sure why you have to look past 2018 at every postion, especially the RB postion. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe but I think that’s a bit drastic. I just think he would be another RB in the arsenal. I think they would like a stable of backs, a mix of vets and rookies. 

Agreed on the mix philosophy, but I'm not sure they want to rely too heavily on two 30 year old RBs...although Cadet is also 29, so maybe Ivory takes the place of Cadet....and of course I'm probably wrong, but I still believe McD and Beane want to really overhaul the roster into something they believe is sustainable. And Shady's value for a potential playoff team is quite solid, fetching a decent return. The Bills probably see the RB position as malleable in their new Offensive scheme and getting a good Rookie would not only be cheaper in terms of actual cash, but if the Bills got a Draft pick, they'd be able to fill the position with a younger talent, while using some of Shady's Cap cost on a needed Vet position, like a LB or WR to help their probable Rookie QB, or even an Offensive Lineman.