Who is your choice for Bills starting QB in 2018 and why?

Logic

10 minutes ago, simool said:

Yet you have zero guarantees that either one of them can play in NFL.  Go ahead throw away at least three picks to move up and snag one of them.  You are going to look like an idiot when it does not pan out.  Just about every talent evaluator worth a damn sees flaws in all of your day 1 starters.

No thanks, I will take my chances on what is available at 21 or I will trade 22 back (Cause we sure as hell are not drafting a QB at 22) and draft Mike White.  Who has the exact same chance of succeeding at the next level as your day one starters.

Go ahead ladies flame away. Espouse your Miss Cleo abilities.

I'm not quite sure why you're so angry. This isn't just about quarterbacks, is it? 

Is Baker Mayfield Chase Daniels.   we will see , it is possible   . Smaller system guy that put up huge numbers .   

The more I think about it I am not trading up unless Rosen starts to fall by some miracle .   GIve me Bradford and I will draft Mason Rudolph.  Maybe I can use some of 2019 draft ammo to move up in the second round and snag him

Boggles my mind how many want Baker Mayfield, but just a year ago were so opposed to taking Deshaun Watson.

It makes zero sense. 

I'm going get a special type of enjoyment when the Bills trade up and draft someone other than this clown.

Edited by Chicken Boo

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Boggles my mind how many want Baker Mayfield, but just a year ago were so opposed to taking Deshaun Watson.

It makes zero sense. 

I'm going get a special type of enjoyment when the Bills trade up and draft someone other than this clown.

For what it's worth (not much), I DID want Watson last year. Couldn't fathom why a QB needy teem in year 1 of a rebuild with a new coach would pass on a QB. 

And now, here we are, once again needing a QB. Oy vey.

• Like (+1) 2

Right now, I like Lamar Jackson to be the one picked at #21. The Bills already have the veteran QB here in Taylor on the last year of his deal (he can start till Jackson's ready), so there's no need to sign a McCarron or a Keenan which would put the team on the hook for MULTIPLE years. This would leave the Bills with a ton of cap room in 2019 (once Taylor's contract runs out), along with four high picks in this year's draft (#22, #53, #56 and #96), and the picks in the 2019 draft to really build a contending playoff team.

I just think that Rosen and Jackson are the two QBs who will have the quickest and easiest paths to success as franchise QBs. However, gut feeling I think that Rosen would be miserable in Buffalo. They will not take a guy who they think does not want to come to Buffalo. IMO, that's probably the first hurdle of acquiring new players for the team.

At the end of the day we need 2 QBs. McDermott has already said he wants a vet in the QB room for a variety of reasons. My 2 choices:

Rookie: Baker Mayfield

Vet: Josh McCown

Mayfield for pretty much every reason stated. McCown because he could be a solid spot starter if needed, has been around the league for years and could be a great guy in the QB room for Mayfield. Being we don't have an experienced QB coach, McCowns experience around the league would be extremely valuable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except he is NOT 5'11" tall and is over 6' tall and actually taller than both Wilson and Brees and just over an inch shorter than Rogers.

This height myth will literally have ZERO to do with his success or failure in the NFL.  If you are a capable NFL QB, you will succeed at 6'-0...I mean some of you act like he is Mugsy Bogues kind of short out there.  This kids height will NOT determine his success or failure...his ability to play QB will.  Just like Allens size in now way shape or form means he will succeed in the NFL either.  

I do not understand this fascination with Bakers height since he is taller than 2 of the best 4 QB's in the NFL.  He was listed at 6'-1" and measured just under that officially, so even your assumption of his height is wrong.  

I forgot he measured in at just over 6' at the senior bowl but don't even pretend that's not a barrier - it most certainly is.  You however completely dismissed 3/4th's of my argument because you got all emotional.  Yes,  Brees and Wilson are around the same height but they have massive hands at 10.25" and Mayfields are 9.5" - that's also a barrier.  The NFL ball from everything I could find is slightly larger - which is why hand size is scrutinized so heavily.   There have been players with more height and smaller hands that have succeeded in the NFL but rarely do they have both measurements going against them like Baker.   

Brees was a second rounder that was dismissed by his drafted team and really only took off as one of the best when he joined the Saints.  He's developed into one of the best ever and at his height is an anomaly not an example of many.   Wilson was a 3rd round pick who's had 2 excellent years statistically.  We'll likely have to give up significant draft picks to move up and get Baker and I think it's foolish with the barriers he'll likely need to overcome.  I'd gladly take a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd round like the NFL comparisons you've provided.

I've said it - he might end up being great but he's no doubt a risk.  

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I forgot he measured in at just over 6' at the senior bowl but don't even pretend that's not a barrier - it most certainly is.  You however completely dismissed 3/4th's of my argument because you got all emotional.  Yes,  Brees and Wilson are around the same height but they have massive hands at 10.25" and Mayfields are 9.5" - that's also a barrier.  The NFL ball from everything I could find is slightly larger - which is why hand size is scrutinized so heavily.   There have been players with more height and smaller hands that have succeeded in the NFL but rarely do they have both measurements going against them like Baker.   

Brees was a second rounder that was dismissed by his drafted team and really only took off as one of the best when he joined the Saints.  He's developed into one of the best ever and at his height is an anomaly not an example of many.   Wilson was a 3rd round pick who's had 2 excellent years statistically.  We'll likely have to give up significant draft picks to move up and get Baker and I think it's foolish with the barriers he'll likely need to overcome.  I'd gladly take a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd round like the NFL comparisons you've provided.

I've said it - he might end up being great but he's no doubt a risk.  

Sorry, I just do not buy your logic of how his height will be a barrier to his success, especially given 2 of the top 4 guys in the NFL are smaller than him.  And also, your draft comparisons in terms of "where" he should go based on PAST drafts is flawed logic too.  Its a different era where the success of guys like Wilson and Brees have shown that talented players CAN succeed at HIGH levels even when shorter than the prototypical stereotype.  So how teams draft NOW are no reflection of how teams USED to draft.  

No one is going to deny that size can create advantages or disadvantages for a QB.  HOWEVER, its a complete fallacy and myth to put size as a determining criteria on why a player succeeded or failed when their height falls into the range of successful QB's.

Lets assume Baker has a below average or bad NFL career.  Under no circumstance is anyone going to look at Baker and say the REASON he failed is because he wasn't 1 inch taller like Rogers and if he had been he would have been an All Pro.  Seriously, that is such a stretch of the imagination and I don't understand how anyone can get to that point.  No one in their right mind would look at Aaron Rogers and say if he was an inch shorter he would not be a good NFL QB.  

Bottom line is very simple...either Baker can or cant play at the NFL level, and his height is not going to be the reason why.  I am not denying that being bigger or shorter on the range of heights of NFL QB's doesn't include advantages and disadvantages, but under no circumstance will being at either end of that range be the determining factor of their success or failure in the NFL.