2016 Sports Illustrated article on Josh Rosen

YoloinOhio

51 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How so? How well did engaging in politics work out for Colin? What was the point of mentioning Alabama and how was it relevant to balancing academics and football? He's an immature dumb ass. Maybe too much soaking in the hot tub in his dorm room?

Really going out on a limb here, but he mentioned Alabama perhaps because they are an active college dynasty winning many national championships of late.  Very good example to prove his point that they would win far less if you raised their SAT requirement.  Can you make an argument to disagree with his premise?  I'm sure Marcell Dareus would still have gone to Alabama if the SAT requirement was raised to 1000+.   As for the hot tub comment....you must be just jealous because that is a great idea and typical of an underclassman.  We put a blue tarp in the back of a pickup truck and filled it up with water from our apartment at my college....kept the hot water running and just cycled between 3 apartments as the hot water tanks emptied.  That's college and great memories!

Edited by Yard Monkey
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Sounds like whining to me. Alabama has fine academics.

He should look at his own school before he open his yap.

http://dailybruin.com/2009/01/06/emucla-should-not-lower-admission-standards-athlet/

And that sounds like someone who is a bit defensive because it's his / her alma mater. To debate this is pointless, you obviously hold your school in high regard for their academics, and that's fine...but to make it a centralized or objective opinion is something different. According to U.S. News and World Report in their national college rankings UCLA is 21st, Alabama, 159th....here's the link:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ucla-1315

There's the homework you asked for, do I get an A?

11 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

40% of the students at UA have an ACT score of 30 or greater and 25% have an ACT score of 32 or greater. UA's 75th percentile ACT score puts it in the range of elite public schools.

The majoring of student at UA are from out of state.

You need to do your homework.

Students or student athletes? If it's the former then it isn't relevant to the point being made.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He's a smart kid.  I absolutely do not buy in to the narrative that smart kids should shut their mouths just in case they say something controversial.  The world has enough dumb people.  

Plus 1

7 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

And that sounds like someone who is a bit defensive because it's his / her alma mater. To debate this is pointless, you obviously hold your school in high regard for their academics, and that's fine...but to make it a centralized or objective opinion is something different. According to U.S. News and World Report in their national college rankings UCLA is 21st, Alabama, 159th....here's the link:

A+

23 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

US News rankings are largely meaningless, look at the metrics they use. By the way, UA is tied for 110.

UA is in the Princeton Review top 382 which put its in the top 12% of all 4 year colleges.

I guess like Rosen, ya'll aren't aware of UA's guaranteed merit scholarships that they have attracted top student from around the country. :)

http://www.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

Edited by Sky Diver

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

US News rankings are largely meaningless, look at the metrics they use. By the way, UA is tied for 110.

UA is in the Princeton Review top 382 which put its in the top 12% of all 4 year colleges.

I guess like Rosen, ya'll aren't aware of UA's guaranteed merit scholarships that have attracted top student from around the country. :)

http://www.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

And again, I've said there are intelligent and quite capable young men and women who attend and graduate from University of Alabama, a long-time family friend hails from Alabama and it is his alma mater. He's a great guy, smart, and capable....but he also didn't play football for Alabama. My point was that their larger student body is probably a nice cross section of the intellectual spectrum but to say the football players are at the high end of that spectrum "in general" is probably just plain false. And that when you take the "average" football player at UCLA vs. Alabama, which was Rosen's point, you're probably sacrificing some academic acumen at Bama because their interest is wholly football oriented for their prospective players. UCLA is not necessarily the center of the genius universe, but there's no way you don't look at their acceptance criteria and presume them to be the same, ESPECIALLY when it comes to football players. 

58 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can understand why it may be unwise in the first link, but he is spot in the second link. Education and football schedules don’t mix well in the college setting and it takes a fully committed student to achieve excellence in both at a high level at major universities. Especially when, as he says, college is the ONLY legit avenue to the pros for those players who aspire to the next level. 

I have brought this up before but I played D3 soccer in school and it was hard to manage both.  I can't imagine what D1 athletes have to do to juggle everything successfully especially in revenue sports like Basketball and Football.  He was spot on with what he was saying.  Easy answers could be have a pro football feeder league (maybe the xfl's niche?) or lower academic requirements as far as credit hours for student athletes.  Both of these would effect the image the NCAA thinks they have of "student athletes" so they won't happen but the reality is they are athletes first and students a distant second.

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I guess like Rosen, ya'll aren't aware of UA's guaranteed merit scholarships that have attracted top student from around the country. :)

The problem with your posts are that you are solely focused on Alabama and are reacting as a fan.  Pretend he said The OSU or a school you aren't so quick to blindly defend.  The school he chose had more to do with their football success than it does as an institution.

BTW your links hardly prove your point for student athletes.  The first one talks a bout a guy picking UA over Ivy league because he was given a full ride and even then he had to do some "soul searching" before deciding on UA.  The second one also got a full ride.  Neither of them are student athletes which again was the point he was making.  I root for Alabama before you come at me saying anything like that.  Put your rooting interests and pay attention to what he actually said not what the sound bite painted him to say. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

RE: the bold statement above, I assume you read the article? I assume you read where he spoke to the coach about the depth chart and the coach essentially said there's no room here for you? He didn't apply to Stanford, he was told straightforward, there's no spot for you - which is different than applying and having your hopes set high only to realize you're not good enough after a formal process. This was essentially about playing opportunity. Rosen then goes on to say he legit took into consideration his chance to play early as part of the decision making process, again that kind of transparency is laudable in my mind. As for deflecting failure, he said that such a recognition that Stanford wasn't going to *make* room for him and therefore he should keep looking, was humbling and that it was good for him....his words. Is it placating the journalist and therefore pandering to all the readers? Maybe..? But, given his other statements and how he's gone about handling his opinion on other matters, that would appear to be contrary to character for him. In fact, what seems to get him into some sticky areas is when he discusses his opinions without careful consideration, in other words little filter to the mouth. 

As for trying to improve his IQ by reading....again, he stated he admired Andrew Luck for having the raw IQ, but wanted to work to improve his own intellectual capability....I'd say that's a positive, instead of a QB standing by their 3.7 in Slavic Basket Weaving...? 

I don't know how he will pan out and I have no idea, since I won't be the one interviewing him, if he has the mental fortitude to be an NFL QB, but since you use the term "snowflake" and the story mentions his "F Trump" moniker while playing golf, maybe your issue with him is his politics? I don't know....but seems odd that you would use such a term to someone trying to improve their mental acumen. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I hope the Bills stay put at 21 and trade back from 22 if possible, because to me, I'd rather use all this Draft capital for building the team with great young players. If Rudolph is there at 21 I would Draft him, if not, then I'd take a guy like Mike White in the 2nd....but, if Bills believe so much in Rosen they are able to go get him, then once he puts on that red, white, and blue uniform, I'm all in....

Superb. You nailed it.

40 minutes ago, Yard Monkey said:

Really going out on a limb here, but he mentioned Alabama perhaps because they are an active college dynasty winning many national championships of late.  Very good example to prove his point that they would win far less if you raised their SAT requirement.  Can you make an argument to disagree with his premise?  I'm sure Marcell Dareus would still have gone to Alabama if the SAT requirement was raised to 1000+.   As for the hot tub comment....you must be just jealous because that is a great idea and typical of an underclassman.  We put a blue tarp in the back of a pickup truck and filled it up with water from our apartment at my college....kept the hot water running and just cycled between 3 apartments as the hot water tanks emptied.  That's college and great memories!

Weird for Bills fans to be put off by the hot tub after table crashing, butt shots, guys on fire. Seems he'd fit right in.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

yes, a second link please as this one does not cite Rosen directly, only that he has said "privately", then how did they get that information? And are WE ALL going to be held for what we say in private? Because that's the standard....you can't knock a guy for his thoughts or private statements. 

I wasn't faulting him for not wanting to play for Cleveland as I wouldn't want to either. Just pointing it out. 

Rosen isn't the first QB to say he won't play for a particular team. John Elway told Robert Irsay up front he would never play for the Colts if they drafted him. So what did the Colts do, they drafted him anyway. Elway said he would rather play baseball for the Yankees and he outright refused to play for the Colts which forced a trade.

Jim Kelly chose to play for the USFL rather than play for Buffalo. Eli Manning told the Chargers he wouldn't play for them which forced a trade to NY. Kelly Stouffer was drafted by St Louis and refused to ply for them. Rich Gannon was drafted by the Patriots to be a RB and so he held out until they traded him. Bo Jackson refused to play for Tampa Bay.

I'm sure I missed some as those are all I can think of atm. 

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Rosen: It does sound like he has a burning desire to win and yet (UCLA 8-5 in 2015), (Rosen only played in 6 games in 2016), UCLA went 4-8, (2017 UCLA went 6-7).

Rosen has publicly stated he would prefer to play for the NY Giants and not play for the Browns. Durability is a concern with two recent concussions and shoulder, hand injuries. He also has a reputation for being difficult to coach. Sounds like his classmates don't like him much either. Too many red flags for me at this point. The Combine and pro days may change this though.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-2018-nfl-draft-doesnt-want-to-play-for-browns-prefers-giants/10evc0o70y39g1qbnprje4myd8

The bold portion was what I quoted, just for clarity's sake.

I have no issue with Rosen *not* wanting to play for any team, i.e. Browns or Bills or whomever, but what I did take note of in your response was that he publicly stated he didn't want to play for the Browns. I circled back to the article that "alluded" to his lack of interest in playing for the Browns when he said he would rather be Drafted later and play for the right team, as opposed to being Drafted early and playing for the wrong one. Then I said the rest of his statements were not included in the sound bite and that the rest of his statement provided context and one I agreed with. Then, the link you provided was for one where Rosen was reportedly saying "in private" he didn't want to play for the Browns to which I asked, should we all be held strictly accountable for something we say in private regarding our interests? Personally, I don't....but I see how that could be an unpopular perspective. 

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I wasn't faulting him for not wanting to play for Cleveland as I wouldn't want to either. Just pointing it out. 

Rosen isn't the first QB to say he won't play for a particular team. John Elway told Robert Irsay up front he would never play for the Colts if they drafted him. So what did the Colts do, they drafted him anyway. Elway said he would rather play baseball for the Yankees and he outright refused to play for the Colts which forced a trade.

Jim Kelly chose to play for the USFL rather than play for Buffalo. Eli Manning told the Chargers he wouldn't play for them which forced a trade to NY. Kelly Stouffer was drafted by St Louis and refused to ply for them. Rich Gannon was drafted by the Patriots to be a RB and so he held out until they traded him. Bo Jackson refused to play for Tampa Bay.

I'm sure I missed some as those are all I can think of atm. 

Please see my response as I needed to quote your first post, thank you.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

And again, I've said there are intelligent and quite capable young men and women who attend and graduate from University of Alabama, a long-time family friend hails from Alabama and it is his alma mater. He's a great guy, smart, and capable....but he also didn't play football for Alabama. My point was that their larger student body is probably a nice cross section of the intellectual spectrum but to say the football players are at the high end of that spectrum "in general" is probably just plain false. And that when you take the "average" football player at UCLA vs. Alabama, which was Rosen's point, you're probably sacrificing some academic acumen at Bama because their interest is wholly football oriented for their prospective players. UCLA is not necessarily the center of the genius universe, but there's no way you don't look at their acceptance criteria and presume them to be the same, ESPECIALLY when it comes to football players. 

Show me your data on the average football player at UA vs UCLA. I am sure Rosen heavily researched it before he shot of his mouth and showed what an idiot he is. :) Funny, I don't see UCLA on this list.

Per APR scores, Alabama can claim top 25 status academically as well as on football field

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/per-apr-scores-alabama-football-can-claim-top-25-status-academically-as-well-on-the-field

Edited by Sky Diver

This is another good article worth reading, focuses more on the football aspect.

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-110

In short the only knock on Rosen is off the field personality stuff.  Otherwise scouts think he is the best QB years. 

I think people are reading into the personality stuff too much too. It's the NFL.  It's a job.  People go home to their kids and families.  So not, personally, being liked by team mates and all....Big deal.  I guarantee you Tom Brady isn't liked by his team mates off the field either.  Dude is the spokesman for Uggs. But they love him when they win.  Rosen will be loved too when he wins. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The biggest lie in recruiting is when the coaches tell the parents that they will 100% support their efforts to study a certain field or pursue a certain major that they are interested in and how excited they are about their education.  The coaches don’t care. They just want them in class and eligible, and the classes can’t intrefere with practice, lifting or meetings. Or the major will not work out. It takes a backseat no doubt. There is one school - can’t remember which one - that tells the football players they can choose among a select group of majors or can’t play there. These majors are set up to accommodate the football schedule. 

I personally know a story of freshman going into a notorious football factory with ambitions on a major with rigorous academic requirements and being explicitly told by the football staff they would not be majoring in that subject.

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Interesting topic, but how could Rosen think that bringing The University of Alabama into the discussion could lead to anything good?

He could have brought up  any university to make his point but, since Alabama is the preeminent program in the country, I think it underscored his point in a more emphatic way. When reading his comments in context there is nothing disparaging said about Alabama but about the NCAA instead. I can see how insecure Alabama fans (like they need to be in the first place) might think otherwise though.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I personally know a story of freshman going into a notorious football factory with ambitions on a major with rigorous academic requirements and being explicitly told by the football staff they would not be majoring in that subject.

At least they were honest. :lol:

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1