Trade up or bust

QBorBust2018

13 hours ago, KingRex said:

Trading up makes sense mostly to try to satisfy whining fans, but makes little football sense.

This TEAM desperately needs to reload in order to:

A. Make one of the oldest rosters in the league (this is true even with the Bills scoring heavily in the last draft) younger( This is a huge need not only simply due to age, but older players cause larger cap hits

B.  Fill a # of holes left by injuries such as LCenter and older players like4 Shady being unlikely to last forever.

If the Bills lose their 2 first rounders and one or both of their second rounders to trade up, they not only risk that their pick will be more Ryan Leaf than Peyton Manning, but even if he is as good as Peyton, the simple fact was that this talented rookie elevated his Colts from 3-13 w/o him to 3-13 w/ him his rookie year.

Drafting a talented rookie while not reloading this team would be like putting a Formula 1 engine into a VW bug.

And that's if we're lucky and he turns out not to be Andrew Luck equivalent.

If anything the Bills should trade down.

To be fair, your way is like putting a VW Bug engine into a Formula One.

Which has been the Bills Formula Loss for 20 years now :P

6 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Who is Rivers, Manning and Ben? Do you know? I'm not sure if I see that guy in this class.

Oh NOW you want to get specific instead of basically saying you'll settle for a lesser rated quarterback? I get what you're saying; you don't want to spend the draft capital to move up that high. The most likely outcome of that is the Jets get a better QB and we play him twice a year for the next 15

15 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Tampa had Winston #1 overall.  His 3 year combined record is 20-28.

Titans with Mariota is 21-27.  I would also argue that the Titans 9-7 record would be less if the Colts and Texans had a QB for the year.

Mariota is actually 20-22 in his 3 years.  He missed some time year 2 with a broken leg.  

Famous Jameis is actually 18-27.

Tampa in the 3 years before Winston: 13-35

Tennessee in the 3 years before Mariota: 15-33

Both have improved their team without question.  Now have they been "good enough" that if you had paid a huge price to get up you'd be delighted?  No.  But they have had Mike Mularkey and Dirk Koetter as their Head Coaches.  It's hardly been vintage.  I still think both have a chance to be very good long term QBs.  

Edited by GunnerBill

9 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Who is Rivers, Manning and Ben? Do you know? I'm not sure if I see that guy in this class.

I think that your question is a very fair one despite the hysteria of those who seek to suppress it.  There is no getting around the random nature of how well a college player will do in the pro's.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, PolishDave said:

You said Darnold is a turnover machine.   I instantly thought of Peterman.  :D

That last interception that Peterman threw against the Jags although questionable on whether it was actually caught was a direct result of a lack of arm strength. In college Peterman might have completed that pass in the pros the corners are inherently faster and smarter, I say Darnold makes that throw.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

That last interception that Peterman threw against the Jags although questionable on whether it was actually caught was a direct result of a lack of arm strength. In college Peterman might have completed that pass in the pros the corners are inherently faster and smarter, I say Darnold makes that throw.

Sounds good.   Sign me up.

5 hours ago, Chemical said:

Oh NOW you want to get specific instead of basically saying you'll settle for a lesser rated quarterback? I get what you're saying; you don't want to spend the draft capital to move up that high. The most likely outcome of that is the Jets get a better QB and we play him twice a year for the next 15

You have to have a destination before somebody can give you directions. Who is worth the collateral to move past the Jets? Every QB not named Darnold or Rosen is a huge gamble. With 4 picks in RDS 1-2, we can do some serious damage, I'm not willing to give that away unless Darnold or Rosen fall to #3. YMMV.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:03 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

To me, I either want them to trade up to get THE qb they want most, or don’t even bother drafting one early. I’m tired of whatever scraps are left. Either go up and get the actual guy you want A#1..or find a vet.

What if the guy they want is there at #21?   Does that mean he is scrap?

On 2/15/2018 at 4:26 PM, Senth said:

Foles would be my target.

Draft best player available always, play the hand straight the way it's been dealt.

No ransoms please.

Eagles aren’t going to just give Foles away. They will want a lot for him too.

38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Eagles aren’t going to just give Foles away. They will want a lot for him too.

....crazy to trade him with the uncertainty of Wentz....ACL & LCL surgery is pretty significant.......Bradford was surgically repaired and thought to be okay, but missed games in 2017 again......besides, Foles was on the brink of retiring and I'm assuming the reason was because his career was "off track".....he ends up in Philly, gets rejuvenated and is euphoric...what happens if he comes to Bflo had hits a "speed bump" as McBeane/McD build the roster over time?........is he no longer euphoric and contemplates retirement again?....maybe a dumb way to look at things, but.......

On 2/16/2018 at 5:17 AM, Chemical said:

Now???  My complaint about all of you "we have to draft a QB in the first round" advocates is exactly because NONE of you talk in specifics!  You just want a QB in the first round, and who that is doesn't matter to you.  IMO, none of the QBs mentioned as top prospects are good enough to warrant even thinking of trading up more than a few spots ... say, from 21 to 16, and even then, if I was going to consider doing it, it would only be for Mayfield.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:29 AM, GunnerBill said:

Mariota is actually 20-22 in his 3 years.  He missed some time year 2 with a broken leg.  

Famous Jameis is actually 18-27.

Tampa in the 3 years before Winston: 13-35

Tennessee in the 3 years before Mariota: 15-33

Both have improved their team without question.  Now have they been "good enough" that if you had paid a huge price to get up you'd be delighted?  No.  But they have had Mike Mularkey and Dirk Koetter as their Head Coaches.  It's hardly been vintage.  I still think both have a chance to be very good long term QBs.  

IMO, both Winston and Mariota seem likely to become "coach killers" -- just good enough to keep coaches hopeful but not quite good enough to consistently win with ... much like Cutler and Tannehill.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:32 AM, RochesterRob said:

I think that your question is a very fair one despite the hysteria of those who seek to suppress it.  There is no getting around the random nature of how well a college player will do in the pro's.  

Drafting QBs has become even more random because so many college teams don't run pro style offenses and therefore scouts don't see collegiate signal callers practicing the skills that pro QBs need to have.  I think this is the reason that we've seen a few more QBs succeed from lower rounds ... scouts were skeptical of their skill sets because they didn't see them demonstrate those skills all that much.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1