Best Dog Breeds for Kids?

KD in CA

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If you train them right you can avoid their crappy behavior.    Just because they are small doesn't mean a smack on the snout will hurt them 

My first Pom we got when we first got married.  She was a pure lap dog.  All she wanted to do was sit on some ones lap.  We had my son 1 year after we got her.  He got really sick one time when he was about 13 months old, had namonia, he was in the hospital for a few days, when we brought him home, the one night I went to check on him in his crib & there was Maisy, laying right next to him.  To this day I have no idea how she got in there.  We had to put her down a few years ago.  I told myself I couldn't put myself threw that again & I was done with dogs.  Well 6 months later my kids talked me into it & we brought two pom sisters home.  One is very lazy the other one is high energy but they are great dogs & I couldn't imagine our home without them.  But all three of them have been fantastic with their temperament.  The vet told me on my last visit, our two poms are the nicest 2 poms she has ever dealt with.  Maybe I just got lucky, but 3 for 3 so far.   

Edited by Gordio

6 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I am partial to German Shepards when it comes to kids......but I like my dogs to be a mix....smart....family dog....protector....maternal

My German Shepard Samson (now in heaven) saved my son when he was a infant from a wolf......true story

Was there a ginger bread house involved?  

;) ;) 

Shepards are cool until you put them on a leash.   

They can be rough with kids too.   Accidents do happen.   

On 2/10/2018 at 9:37 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Beagles are absolutely amazing and great with children

Beagle all the way

Super loud though.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:58 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

I always vote for Labs. My favorite breed. But I think KA said he didn't want one so big or aggressive and didn't have a yard to run. Labs would still be great but didn't fit the criterion.

Labs are awesome, but inbred so much (due to popularity) they are apt to have health issues which shorten life span. Newfoundlands are an absolutely superb alternative. They are the "Gentle Giants" of the dog world. 

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That breed sounds perfect if I was single and living alone!

Yes, I'm thinking shelter.  Just met a guy today who had a lab mix from a family run group here in N. CA called Compassion Without Borders, which was just featured during last weekend's Puppy Bowl.

My sister has a goodlendoodle and the kids love that, so that or similar is possible, but I could also see a lab mix of some type or a beagle.   Thanks for the suggestions!

We have a Peeka pug and they're great. Fantastic with kids, playful and very few health issues. 

25 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Super loud though.

Labs are awesome, but inbred so much (due to popularity) they are apt to have health issues which shorten life span. Newfoundlands are an absolutely superb alternative. They are the "Gentle Giants" of the dog world. 

Yep, I love their trademark howl ...

since my beagle passed I always find it quite soothing when the neighbor beagle across the street starts howling 

brings back peace

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yep, I love their trademark howl ...

since my beagle passed I always find it quite soothing when the neighbor beagle across the street starts howling 

brings back peace

They are such loyal dogs. Their howl may not be for everyone, but if that is not an issue they are terrific companions! :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

They are such loyal dogs. Their howl may not be for everyone, but if that is not an issue they are terrific companions! :rolleyes:

Agreed! I have a Docker now and I love her but her temperament is crazy

Cocker Spaniel/ Dachshund mix

She just wants to play fetch all day, non stop energy , always running around 

but she's an awesome dog

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

I am partial to German Shepards when it comes to kids......but I like my dogs to be a mix....smart....family dog....protector....maternal

My German Shepard Samson (now in heaven) saved my son when he was a infant from a wolf......true story

OP didn't want anything big...

2 hours ago, Acantha said:

NOT hyperactive??

I had a lab years ago and that thing never stopped! 

I'm buying a home soon and want to get a puppy this spring, so I've been doing a lot of research on breeds.  I love Goldens, but the more I read the more I think they're just too hyper.  Warning after warning about how much exercise they need, and it's more than just the standard long walk every day.  Has me a bit spooked because I'm a big believer that if a dog isn't getting the exercise they need they're just not happy.

Anyone with Goldens disagree?

Also looking at pits.  Also energetic, but doesn't seem like quite the same extreme.  I've had a few friends with pits over the years and they have all been outstanding dogs.

BTW, I have a 4 year old and don't really like small dogs.  My last was a Mastiff that is now living with my ex wife.  Absolutely amazing dogs, but holy crap the drool....

i've spoken to some breeders when it comes to the activity level of retrievers, (i'm lumping labs and goldens here) and apparently it can just depend on the dog.  as sotier mentioned, you have to avoid the hunting/water dogs.  if you get one and don't work them, they're out of control.  

for labs and goldens, it can be luck.  i've heard that most will act like puppies for the first 3 years, and after that, they mellow.  if they don't mellow after that period, you're going to have a hyper dog for its existence.  our lab turned 7 last monday, and he's as mellow as it gets.  i even put invisible fence around 2 acres so he could roam a bit, and he doesn't even need to wear the collar.  i just let him out, he hangs around, and lumbers back in after an hour or so.  the worst thing he does is steal food, and roll in deer ****.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll second everyone who said to get a rescue pup from the shelter, but if you want to get a 'brand name' dog, I recommend the Australian Cattledog:

australiancattledogs-butter.jpg

Hands down the best dogs I've ever had were either purebred or mixes of this breed. Phenomenally smart and loyal. Great around children. Only drawback is they like a job and tend to be hyperactive when they get bored. If you could train it to keep your kids company and walk it regularly you'll have one of the best dogs of your life guaranteed. Best to get it as a puppy and let him grow up around the family...can't say enough good things about this breed.

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

My sister has a golden retriever.  It is a great dog, super friendly, I can't get past the shedding though.  My sister lives in a beautiful development, has a maid come in twice a week to clean the house & every time I go over there I leave covered in fur. 

I know this vote won't be a popular but I have always own Pomeranians.  They have a reputation as a snippy barky dog but the three I have owned have been great, & they are/were all great around my children.  They don't shed either. 

I had TWO Goldens at a house in college with 11 housemates. We did not have weekly housekeeping. We did not even own a vacuum cleaner. The dog hair, spilled beer and carpet morphed into an entirely new kind of surface. It was disgusting. I couldn’t wait to finish college....   :wacko:

Edited by Augie

One more problem with Goldens is they don’t live as long as some small yappy dogs. Quality over quantity, I say. My six Goldens have lasted anywhere from 8-13 years, with he average being closer to the low end. They all grow a tumor somewhere. The end.

A routine trip to the vet today with my 8-1/2 year old Golden led to a follow up call for x-rays and ultrasound on Friday. Tests showed something.  We are having a rough enough stretch already, I can’t imagine losing my dog right now. That would just be piling on.....

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

One more problem with Goldens is they don’t live as long as some small yappy dogs. Quality over quantity, I say. My six Goldens have lasted anywhere from 8-13 years, with he average being closer to the low end. They all grow a tumor somewhere. The end.

A routine trip to the vet today with my 8-1/2 year old Golden led to a follow up call for x-rays and ultrasound on Friday. Tests showed something.  We are having a rough enough stretch already, I can’t imagine losing my dog right now. That would just be piling on.....

their hips go quickly

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

their hips go quickly

Been through this in the past. Go to a good breeder and you should be fine. Backyard breeders are another story. The one before the current pooch had thyroid problems. Impulse purchase from a backyard breeder. Still as sweet as could be, but the most health troubled dog we had. 

But we never had one with hip issues. 

• Like (+1) 1