Jump to content
26CornerBlitz

Robert Klemko: 10 Most Likely Landing Spots for Baker Mayfield

Recommended Posts

 

8. Buffalo Bills
Where they pick in Round 1: Nos. 21 and 22
Key player: Brandon Beane, general manager
I could see head coach Sean McDermott falling in love with Mayfield’s origin story—the two-time walk-on who won the Heisman. New offensive coordinator Brian Daboll oversaw a run-heavy offense as Alabama’s coordinator last year but has a great deal of familiarity with the offensive concepts employed at Oklahoma and across the college football landscape. In McDermott’s first year in Buffalo’s war room, they demonstrated a willingness to deal picks at any juncture, in any direction, moving back 17 picks in the first round, then moving up seven picks in the second round to draft wide receiver Zay Jones, and moving up 12 picks into the bottom of the second round to select offensive lineman Dion Dawkins. If they’re kicking themselves for not using last year’s 10th overall pick (traded to Kansas City) on Patrick Mahomes, they can use the capital acquired in that deal to trade up and draft another former Texas Tech quarterback in Mayfield. Tyrod Taylor said in January the team has yet to inform him of his status going into 2018, but it’s safe to assume they’re in the market for a replacement after benching him for Nathan Peterman at one point last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bring it said:

Imo we won’t need to move up to draft Mayfield!

 

If they wait for him to fall to 21, he will not be there. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I have a problem with Mayfield’s height. I just can’t see him going before pick 20 and teams taking him instead some of the great prospects in the 12 to 20 range. The guy is really accurate and I believe would be totally all about football at the next level.  We will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to wait til the combine to form an opinion on him. I was sold on mayfield until I watched the Rose Bowl this year. He didn’t exactly wow me but I partly blame that on the play calling in the second half

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Not that I have a problem with Mayfield’s height. I just can’t see him going before pick 20 and teams taking him instead some of the great prospects in the 12 to 20 range. The guy is really accurate and I believe would be totally all about football at the next level.  We will see.

....or he could easily turn into Johnny Manziel 2.0

This could go in any direction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Not that I have a problem with Mayfield’s height. I just can’t see him going before pick 20 and teams taking him instead some of the great prospects in the 12 to 20 range. The guy is really accurate and I believe would be totally all about football at the next level.  We will see.

 

The guy is going top 6. It's not even a debate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Not that I have a problem with Mayfield’s height. I just can’t see him going before pick 20 and teams taking him instead some of the great prospects in the 12 to 20 range. The guy is really accurate and I believe would be totally all about football at the next level.  We will see.

Daboll. be nice to draft QB in the 1st this year. hope Bills do not not have to trade up much.

 The price gets hefty quickly when coming up from 21-22 and getting into the top ten. not sure i like that this year

Edited by 3rdand12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....or he could easily turn into Johnny Manziel 2.0

This could go in any direction?

I don't get why everybody says Johnny Manziel 2.0 in terms of Mayfield.  The only thing they have in common is their height.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like mayfield I feel like people comparing him to Manziel are like the people who compared Newton to a Russell. Lazy comparison based on a few si ilarities overlooki g a mountain of differences. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I don't get why everybody says Johnny Manziel 2.0 in terms of Mayfield.  The only thing they have in common is their height.

Lazy thinking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

 

If they wait for him to fall to 21, he will not be there. 

I wouldn't want him even if he fell to 21. His size and the Hiesman stank make me weary of him. Toss in his off the field issues, let someone else draft him.

8 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I don't get why everybody says Johnny Manziel 2.0 in terms of Mayfield.  The only thing they have in common is their height.

Mayfield has shown a lack of respect for the game/his competition etc. Thats where the Manziel comparison stem from.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know he had a single drinking incident last offseason. Unheard of from a college kid (turning off sarcasm font). I like his competitiveness. With his high completion percentage and his reputation for film study he's my early favorite. I'll wait for the combine and his pro day to make a final decision. But right now, I'd easily trade both #1s to move into the top 5 for him. 

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I don't get why everybody says Johnny Manziel 2.0 in terms of Mayfield.  The only thing they have in common is their height.

He was arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest, and fleeing before last season which is a concern.  He also grabbed his crotch in one game. He's had a circus like college following and won the Heisman like Johnny did.  He's come out and swore he's not the next Johnny Manziel, but any team looking to draft him should do their diligent research on him.

 

I really like him as I've seen quite a few Oklahoma games last year.  His arm strength and accuracy was phenomenal.  He did play behind one of the best offensive lines in football though so we don't know how he'd perform behind our o-line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without clicking is this list just “10 teams without a franchise qb” essentially? With maybe a team like the saints as the risqué surprise 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He was arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest, and fleeing before last season which is a concern.  He also grabbed his crotch in one game. He's had a circus like college following and won the Heisman like Johnny did.  He's come out and swore he's not the next Johnny Manziel, but any team looking to draft him should do their diligent research on him.

 

I really like him as I've seen quite a few Oklahoma games last year.  His arm strength and accuracy was phenomenal.  He did play behind one of the best offensive lines in football though so we don't know how he'd perform behind our o-line.

Mayfield’s off field concerns seem more along the lines of Newton’s and far removed from Manziel. It’s comparing drug addiction to getting drunk once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He was arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest, and fleeing before last season which is a concern.  He also grabbed his crotch in one game. He's had a circus like college following and won the Heisman like Johnny did.  He's come out and swore he's not the next Johnny Manziel, but any team looking to draft him should do their diligent research on him.

 

I really like him as I've seen quite a few Oklahoma games last year.  His arm strength and accuracy was phenomenal.  He did play behind one of the best offensive lines in football though so we don't know how he'd perform behind our o-line.

You can't even compare these incidents with Johnny Manziels problems.  Manziel was constantly getting into trouble every time you turned around.  Mayfield got drunk and loud once and that's all you heard from him on that front.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DJB said:

Seriously?  Great insight by the writer, basically just names every qb needy team.

 

I was thinking the same thing

There are 32 teams.

 He named 10

 

Chargers though?

Seriously?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having trouble seeing what so many like about Mayfield. Not trying to be a jerk here. He was fun to watch. He made things happen...at the college level. But, to me, he made a lot of throws that would've been picked off in the NFL.

 

The improvisational style can work great in college. It doesn't work as consistently in the pros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I'm having trouble seeing what so many like about Mayfield. Not trying to be a jerk here. He was fun to watch. He made things happen...at the college level. But, to me, he made a lot of throws that would've been picked off in the NFL.

 

The improvisational style can work great in college. It doesn't work as consistently in the pros.

It’s his accuracy, he is crazy accurate and has elite placement as well. When he moves in the pocket or backfield he keeps his eyes downfield and delivers the ball without a hit to his accuracy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bring it said:

Imo we won’t need to move up to draft Mayfield!

Bro, are you for serious? You think Baker Mayfield falls to 21?! Bro, at the latest he’s gone at 6. He’s very much in the mix for #1 overall. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×