Playoffs or high draft pick

berg1029

Playoffs or a high draft pick  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have preferred the Bills made the playoffs or get a shot at a top QB from the draft?

• Make playoffs-break 17 year playoff drought
    • Miss playoffs & have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB without trading up

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Give  a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit on a boat and drink beer with his friends all day.

PLAYOFFS !!!!!!!!

Start a man a fire and he's warm for the day .... set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Build up the line for Bradford.  It's going to have to be done anyways.

You'd rather have Bradford and his knees than Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, or Allen?

If the Bills don't get a QB in draft, it would likely mean they didn't trade up and there was a run on QBs, so it means they could get a bunch of great high draft picks at other positions to build on a team that already made the playoffs last year.

you could have a topic like "what would you rather do with a $25k inheritance check?: 1) spend it on a brand new car or 2) put it into a mutual fund that earns 6% interest but you can't touch it until retirement"

most dummies would buy a sports car.  that's why people are broke.  they want instant gratification.

Edited by kdiggz

21 minutes ago, macaroni said:

I think I would also prefer spending the money for a free agent QB too ... but to stand pat with our picks and fill areas of need. Problem is ... which free agent QB will be available?

I think the Vikes keep Bridgewater and Keenum ... the other QB is just too fragile for me to take a chance on

I think the Eagles keep Foles, he's cheep and still under contract

I think Cousins is going to the Broncos

I just don't see an available combination of talent and youth that would trump the top four draft QBs. 

If each of the 3 Vikes QBs think they are a starter and want starter money, why would two re-sign with the Vikes.

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

you could have a topic like "what would you rather do with a $25k inheritance check?: 1) spend it on a brand new car or 2) put it into a mutual fund that earns 6% interest but you can't touch it until retirement"

most dummies would buy a sports car.  that's why people are broke.  they want instant gratification.

Most would crash the car with less than 10,000 miles on it and realize they forgot to make the last car insurance payment.

5 minutes ago, Dalton said:

If each of the 3 Vikes QBs think they are a starter and want starter money, why would two re-sign with the Vikes.

I see your point ... but

You have Keenum who had a pretty good year

You have Bridgewater who suffered a horrific devastating injury and may never be the player he was

You have Bradford who's knees are so bad he can't play more than a game or two without reinjuring them

If I'm king of the Vikes (which I'm not) I'm offering Keenum a starters contract, I'm offering Bridgewater a slightly better than a "prove it" type of contract (more for sentimental reasons than performace reasons) and telling Bradford "thanks for the memories ... good bye"

Now to put the ball back in your court ...

Do you offer either Bridgewater or Bradford a "starters contract" and pass on Allen, Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold?

27 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Start a man a fire and he's warm for the day .... set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

You'd rather have Bradford and his knees than Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, or Allen?

I see him as a bridge QB but the point remains about building the line.  We don't know when McCoy will hit the wall physically but odds are it will be soon given his age.  The next RB most likely is not going to be Payton-esque or Sanders-esque meaning the line is going to have to do more  to get 120 yards per game (should 100 yards be the benchmark anymore?)  Sure one guy might be better at pass protection than run blocking but without knowing how our current OL will do in a new scheme it appears we have too many one dimensional guys there.  Anyways, this means investing in the OL with picks.  Our 30 million dollar cap number will shrink when a 5-7 million dollar in season reserve to cover injuries is factored in along with 7 million or so to sign the draft class.  Yeah, you can do something with TT but even if he is out of here the net effect is a sideways move to cover his going away.  It means you are picking a QB early or are signing a 20-25 million dollar QB.

I voted playoffs for a few reasons:

-The drought hung like a noose around the franchise neck that for years dictated decisions most of which were atrocious

-It brought true relevancy back to the franchise nationally not just because we signed Mario Williams or got Rex

-McD coached a team that talent wise was 5-7 wins and got them to 9. Since 2012 season on we have had quite a few teams that had more talent that should've made the playoffs and didnt. Yes they got lucky but I will still give the rookie HC credit and view that as a positive for now

-As a fan it was really fun the whole time. 2010 when we were top 3 was not fun and dreadful throughout

-They have enough draft capital that if they want to sell out to move up to get one of five QBs IMO

-There hasn't been a free agent QB market with this much to offer since ...honestly not even sure

-Feeling the pain of losing in the playoffs felt better then the previous 17 of being eliminated in December or earlier. I forgot how much it sucks but in a weird way it was cool because it meant something mattered. I'm 29 and know very little of playoffs so this was really my first experience to watch it with my dad and my wife and I'm sure for thousands of others it was the same.

6 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

Well said my friend! Well said.

A stopped clock is right twice a day and that is where I think the Browns are right now.  I don't think that even Cleveland can screw things up to the point where based on the roster that the team could not make the playoffs.  The biggest problem for them right now is if Jackson gets off to a slow start.  Barkley, one of the top 2 rookie QB's, some receiver depth via the draft, and defensive depth makes the Browns attractive to a new hire.  Unless Halsam gets WWE-McMahon-ish crazy even he could not derail the team. 

11 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I voted playoffs for a few reasons:

-The drought hung like a noose around the franchise neck that for years dictated decisions most of which were atrocious

-It brought true relevancy back to the franchise nationally not just because we signed Mario Williams or got Rex

-McD coached a team that talent wise was 5-7 wins and got them to 9. Since 2012 season on we have had quite a few teams that had more talent that should've made the playoffs and didnt. Yes they got lucky but I will still give the rookie HC credit and view that as a positive for now

-As a fan it was really fun the whole time. 2010 when we were top 3 was not fun and dreadful throughout

-They have enough draft capital that if they want to sell out to move up to get one of five QBs IMO

-There hasn't been a free agent QB market with this much to offer since ...honestly not even sure

-Feeling the pain of losing in the playoffs felt better then the previous 17 of being eliminated in December or earlier. I forgot how much it sucks but in a weird way it was cool because it meant something mattered. I'm 29 and know very little of playoffs so this was really my first experience to watch it with my dad and my wife and I'm sure for thousands of others it was the same.

I think that talent-wise we were more than a 5-7 win team on paper.  Lawson and Matthews missing big chunks of the season really hurt whether they fully fit the scheme or not.  The same with Charles Clay.

2 hours ago, fallen627 said:

Another way to phrase this would be, "would you trade places with the Browns right now if you could..." My answer is no. 

They do have 6 out of the first 65 picks and a boat load of cap space.  But I still wouldn't do it.

2 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

I personally have a bit of "buyers remorse" when it comes to last season versus the upcoming draft.  The simple reality looking into the playoffs, for me, is that the offense had been pretty bad, and the defense simply wasn't good enough to win enough games to claim the Lombardi.  Let's just say that Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen are the top-4 guys.  I think I honestly would have rather seen the team go 3-13 and be drafting #2 overall.  Where they sit now, they would have to trade both first round picks and at least a second from this year to move up high enough to guarantee getting a signal caller.  That's a LOT of draft capital to pay for one playoff loss.

Related image

I'm with Vince on this one. Everytime we step on the field we should be trying to win.

Winning is a habit, winning begets winning. I fully believe that we can build on last years season.

2 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

I personally have a bit of "buyers remorse" when it comes to last season versus the upcoming draft.  The simple reality looking into the playoffs, for me, is that the offense had been pretty bad, and the defense simply wasn't good enough to win enough games to claim the Lombardi.  Let's just say that Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen are the top-4 guys.  I think I honestly would have rather seen the team go 3-13 and be drafting #2 overall.  Where they sit now, they would have to trade both first round picks and at least a second from this year to move up high enough to guarantee getting a signal caller.  That's a LOT of draft capital to pay for one playoff loss.

So, if they do the trade you mention, they will then have left a 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th. The 1st will be the #3 pick. It seems to me that this is the reason that you accumulate draft capital.