Question on draft strategy

GreggTX

it don't matter who we draft at QB you better have a vet who can take the reigns for a year or so. maybe th erookie comes in and earns the job immediately but I wouldn't depend upon that.

I would never put all my eggs into a rookie QB's basket

1 minute ago, gjv001 said:

Would not be surprised to see Bills keep Taylor and move up to the middle of round one and take Jackson. Taylor is good for 7 to 9 wins, and Jackson learns to become a pro under Taylors wing.

So, another year of the same? They need to fix QB immediately 

Love TT, but that's his ceiling. This is the year.

I'll go on record as saying it will be somebody other than TT starting week 4. Tho I highly doubt TT starts any. McBeane want their guy. This move happens this year. I say Rosen, or White. The process will not discriminate between good men or great talent. The body of work is just as important to McBeane, as is personality or "DNA" of a player.  Think Cam Newton. Both were there, although neither had a say. But they learned something that day. 

Im looking forward to the offseason for sure

• Like (+1) 1

I think Jackson is "ready" to start week 1 in the sense that I think his running ability will allow him to be successful earlier than most of the other QBs in this class.

However, I'd like to see him clean up his footwork in the long-term, and I think throwing him to the wolves would probably make it more difficult for him to create good habits.

49 minutes ago, yungmack said:

As is the blind hate...

If you are insinuating I hate Whaley it couldn't be farther from the truth. I actually admire the job he did finding both mid to late round talent as well as value free agents.

It's just tiring seeing his staunch defenders saying he's not to blame for anything. "He never got a chance to draft a QB." If you don't think EJ had his fingerprints on him as much as Nix's I don't know what to tell you. Plus he had how many drafts here? Could have drafted a guy somewhere else. Carolina did with Clausin/Newton in back to back drafts. The Skis did it with RGIII/Cousins in the same draft. But since this last draft was all his doing from what the anti-Beane people say...I guess we can thank him for Peterman. Gee, thanks Doug.

"WELL, he never made a choice on his coach." Super. That's how some other teams do it. Pegula puts his coach and GM on equal footing. Why should he get to hand pick his peer alone? The Rex hire, I will wholeheartedly agree was terrible and does not fall on Doug. But McD? Both Whaley and Pegula stated that McD was on a short list of coaches brought to ownership. So he was responsible for his name being there with the guy signing the checks as the final say so. Very logical.

On the whole, Doug did a lot to improve the roster from the Nix era and we likely don't have the team we have today without him. 

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't think that's true at all. if anything his running ability will get him out of alot of trouble. I don't think people understand just how fast Jackson is, he's about to flash it at the combine. His legs will get him out of many jams which can make him a starter right away, I'd always like for a rookie to sit back, learn the position, let things slow down but like anything in life, the only way to see is by trial and error.

This sounds like a great way to destroy the development of someone who has a shot of making it in the nfl. The one thing teams can't do is get him in the habit of running instead of throwing and breaking the pocket when he sees pressure because he hasn't learned to read defenses properly. 

4 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The blind love people have still for Whaley is unreal sometimes.

Robey was outright released.  My point is Whaley brought in plenty talent and u can see that all over the playoffs ex Bills everywhere . What u have to admit is he never truly had a chance as a Gm never got to hire the coaches he wanted to run this team in his image. Whaley was also very high on Mahomes and Watson one can wonder did something happen on draft day that lead to his dismissal. 

Can we please stop talking about Whaley? He was excellent as pro personnel, he was terrible at managing the cap, providing leadership and interacting with head coaches. He is the definition of the Peter Principle- someone who was promoted past the point of their usefulness.  

2 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

If you are insinuating I hate Whaley it couldn't be farther from the truth. I actually admire the job he did finding both mid to late round talent as well as value free agents.

It's just tiring seeing his staunch defenders saying he's not to blame for anything. "He never got a chance to draft a QB." If you don't think EJ had his fingerprints on him as much as Nix's I don't know what to tell you. Plus he had how many drafts here? Could have drafted a guy somewhere else. Carolina did with Clausin/Newton in back to back drafts. The Skis did it with RGIII/Cousins in the same draft. But since this last draft was all his doing from what the anti-Beane people say...I guess we can thank him for Peterman. Gee, thanks Doug.

"WELL, he never made a choice on his coach." Super. That's how some other teams do it. Pegula puts his coach and GM on equal footing. Why should he get to hand pick his peer alone? The Rex hire, I will wholeheartedly agree was terrible and does not fall on Doug. But McD? Both Whaley and Pegula stated that McD was on a short list of coaches brought to ownership. So he was responsible for his name being there with the guy signing the checks as the final say so. Very logical.

On the whole, Doug did a lot to improve the roster from the Nix era and we likely don't have the team we have today without him. 

Yea he hired the guy that ended up dismissing him this is a shame because i believe if Mcd let Whaley do his job they would of been a great combo.  I don't like Mcd personel decision making skills especially on the offensive side of the ball.  

I never said Whaley has no blame in what happened but its obvious he didn't want Rex as a coach.  Rex D did not fit the talent we had on that side of the ball.  Dareus is a prime example of not fitting the scheme although he played well as a nose tackle he was a better fit in the 4-3 . Dareus playing nose put him in a bad situation.  The nose is not a play making position its a sacrifice to play that role so others can flourish.  But getting paid what he was getting it wasn't fit value wise. 

8 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I think that Jackson may well turn out to be the best of a good and deep QB class. My gut tells me that Beane likes him too. Ideally he would sit and develop for a year behind a vet. But these days first round QBs are more often press ganged into service immediately. If the Bills drafted him I'd be surprised if they invested in the kind of vet FA QB who might be expected to play for years as a starter. A vet backup would essentially mean that Jackson would probably be starting and learning on the fly. Perhaps not ideal but D. Watson has said that Jackson is capable of doing what he can do, and I believe that. 

I think the only QB in this class who is good to go day one with the least transition friction is Rosen assuming the offence he runs is built for a classic pocket passing/WC offence QB (which in his case is pretty much the only logical assumption). 

I expect that Jackson is already viewed by the talent evaluators of QB needy teams much more highly than the talking heads would lead you to believe. I think that sentiment will only gain momentum in the next couple of months so I don't think he will fall to us at 21. He could go much earlier in the first. 

Jackson is the best QB in this draft and will have the best career.  Most people hold him against him that he is an amazing runner.  I'll take it ......I also believe he's the best passer in this draft (equal with Rosen).

10 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The blind love people have still for Whaley is unreal sometimes.

whaley's work paid off last draft, if there was a redraft, TreD, Dawkins and Milano would all go higher.  Zay lower but technically last years draft isn't over until we select KC's first rounder.   Thats very likely gonna be the 4th impact player, 5 if Zay pans out.  Gotta give Whaley some props for that.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:11 PM, ndirish1978 said:

This sounds like a great way to destroy the development of someone who has a shot of making it in the nfl. The one thing teams can't do is get him in the habit of running instead of throwing and breaking the pocket when he sees pressure because he hasn't learned to read defenses properly. 

I never once said he should run for the sake of running out of habit, his running ability gives him another element and he is a dynamic runner like Michael Vick, he may even be as fast as Vick at the combine who I believe ran a 4.35 40 time but that would be crazy. I don't want my QB running when guys are wide open but when things breakdown he can be a legit threat to take it to the house on any play, that's all I meant.

Posted this in another thread, but it applies here too.  I have come to the realization that this team is not going to go the next step unless one of the following is our QB next year:  Jimmy G, Cousins, Foles, Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  Anyone else and we are looking at 8 - 8 at best.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:46 PM, GunnerBill said:

If they draft Lamar Jackson they need the Mahomes plan for him. Put in a box marked "do not even consider opening until week 17."

Of all the supposed first round contenders Jackson is the one least ready to start week 1 his rookie year in my opinion. 

I go the opposite way Bill or at least an open competition in Training camp with whoever is here. If he earns the right great if not put him on the shelf until ready.

On 2/7/2018 at 7:41 AM, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Watkins- Although he didn't put up big numbers he played a huge role for the Rams taking on double teams and creating space for Gurley, Woods and Kupp to flourish. Dude, he's a flat Earther. He himself admitted he was immature and not a team player in Buffalo. That's why he's gone.

Just on this, three points :

• What's the evidence Watkins was a bad locker room presence or didn't play hard? Sorry, his "confession" that he became caught up in his own success and stats doesn't move the needle very much. It's good he's moved beyond it, but in turns of wide receiver diva behavior, that doesn't make the top twenty list. Also : You might recall he played half of 2016 on a broken foot for the Bills. I'd think playing through pain counts for something when judging if someone is a "team player"
  • Maybe "why he's gone" has more to do with the Bills concern over his injury history, certainty they couldn't resign him anyway, and desperation to stockpile draft choices for this year. That probably explains a lot more than SW's personality flaws.
  • In fact, the whole shtick of explaining any move of the Bills' front office by the character defects of the player involved has gotten pretty tiresome.  I remember when Jonathan Williams was cut people fell over themselves speculating on the ethical blemish which made him distasteful to McDermott. Really?  

Edited by grb