Yes or no to a stopgap QB?

Luxy312

34 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

So the objective of a new GM and coach is to lose out to get a better pick in the draft.  Got it.

You're missing the point completely.  The objective certainly to just be a perpetual 0.500 team every year.  So if it's me, I don't go out and spend $15m on a journeyman QB just to be a middling football team.  We need to look no further than the Superbowl champs.  Draft Carson Wentz and start Carson Wentz.  They won it all with Nick Foles, but the Wentz lead team was 11-2 before he got hurt.  The objective of remaining average and wasting money seems stupid to me.  It's what this team has been doing with the QB position for the last 20 years.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, billykay said:

Relax, KJ. It's not like you to get all lathered up.

Well. Not so fast.   It does happen on occasions.  

:wub: to Kirby. 

18 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

how many 5th round QBs even get 60 mins of game time ?   many of them never get to see the field before they are out of NFL

Ask the 6th and 7th round TT and Fitz.  

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's all about what he hasn't shown anyone (like the ability to play QB in the NFL) that gets his fan boys going...

Bills fans get excited when they here potential

Actually your correct. With a whole lot of nothing going on and having no answer yet, I would say I get excited over potential. That is the only option besides not caring at all.

Everyone talking about drafting a QB high is speaking of potential. Anybody talking bringing in a vet like Kirk, Nick or Teddy is talking potential. 

I don't know what the correct answer is but until I see an actual plan of action that transforms into a success, then all anybody is doing is talking potential. So until we have that name at QB it doesn't matter the guy you put in there to QB because it's just another potential until it finally pays off.

I don't even know if half the ideas thrown around have a potential to happen let alone actually work and bring the Bills to the promise land.

Our offense was so bad last year I don't care who they get at QB because I'll be skeptical until I see it work.

Edited by Lfod

If a "stopgap" quarterback is intended to make us feel more comfortable waiting until later in the draft (and thus getting a lesser prospect like Peterman was)... then I say no.

If we are looking to sign a veteran just to help stay competitive, while the 1st Round rookie gets ready to play... then absolutely.

The Bills can't wait any longer.  This is the year.  This draft has more QB talent than 90% of the classes we see.  The Bills have more high picks/ammunition than any offseason I can recall.  They need to do their homework, identify which guys they believe can be franchise caliber, and then trade up if they don't believe one falls to #21. 

2 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

Should the Bills go after yet another journeyman QB as a stopgap between the presumed QB of the future that they're supposed to get in the draft?  If you go after and pay for a guy like Kirk Cousins, you're clearly getting your guy for the next 6-8 years or maybe even more.  There are a LOT of guys out there though that could serve in that interim role.  What do people think?  Personally, I say no.  This team has been doing the "stopgap" thing for two decades.  If they draft a rookie QB early, I say they start Peterman and then the rookie if need be mid-season.  

17 years, no more !@#$ing stop gaps.

52 minutes ago, billykay said:

Agree. There is something special about Mayfield. If he were 6'3", I think he would be going #1. He might still.

He just seems to have that fire in his eye.  I remember years ago driving in N.E. right after Brady took over for Bledsoe. Sports radio was discussing who should be the QB when Bledsoe returns. I remember the sports announcer saying that Bledsoe was history. He could just see that intangible something in Brady - whatever "it" is, Brady had it. He was right. 

I'm sure that Mayfield has his plusses & minuses like everyone else, but in my opinion he has a lot more plusses.

I have a feeling that he is going number 1.

I hope that I am wrong as I would love to see him in a Bills uniform.

If Mayfield goes #1 my contingency plan is to take Darnold...surprisingly, as much as I love his talent, I want no part of Rosen...I just get the impression that he feels entitled and might not have the same “fire” in the belly to be great...also he comes across as a guy that may not like playing in Buffalo imo.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

17 years, no more !@#$ing stop gaps.

...but who’s gonna be our stop gap to the stop gap? :D

Edited by JaCrispy

4 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

Should the Bills go after yet another journeyman QB as a stopgap between the presumed QB of the future that they're supposed to get in the draft?  If you go after and pay for a guy like Kirk Cousins, you're clearly getting your guy for the next 6-8 years or maybe even more.  There are a LOT of guys out there though that could serve in that interim role.  What do people think?  Personally, I say no.  This team has been doing the "stopgap" thing for two decades.  If they draft a rookie QB early, I say they start Peterman and then the rookie if need be mid-season.  

Bills need to have a QB or maybe 2 which can realistically be expected to be on roster opening day since Free Agency comes before Draft and there is no guarantee who will be available.  In 2017 Bills took a big chance having only 2 QBs and if you do that you need to follow the Eagles model with a QB who has started before more than just in relief.    

Its the best QB draft in 15 years, 3 Guys worthy of a top 5 pick. We also happen to have a lot of draft capital  where we could realistically get one of those 3.  If this isn't the year to take a shot at a top guy it never will be.  If we walk out of this off season without someone who has a chance of being a long term starter I'm going to be quite frustrated.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Personally I would make Philly an offer of 21, TT, Glenn plus next years 2nd. Get Foles on board and draft Rudolph in the late 2nd round. Let Rudolph/ Peterman battle it out for backup. 

You are not familiar with the Eagles salary cap situation and personnel to propose such a deal.  Taylor costs more than Foles and they have no need for Glenn. Beyond that there's no certainty that Wentz will be ready before the season starts.

No way that Peterman would get more snaps than Rudolph in your scenario.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

FUGH NOO!!!

This is our best opportunity to draft a Franchise QB in years.

Darnold/Mayfield in the 1st with a trade up or possibly Jackson/Rudolph staying put.

And Peterman as the 2018 game 1 starter?  :lol: 

Umm, no.  I think our game 1 starter is going to be either Tyrod Taylor or whatever rookie we draft in the first.

All of the above goes out the window, of course, if we can acquire Andrew Luck  :thumbsup: 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Only way TT is a stop gap is if you draft a QB with the same skill set as his. The offense has to be taylored to him and his play style and that is what limits him as a stop gap imo...

Just pointing out there could be need to clarify what is meant by "offense has to be tailored to him and his play style"

Reich and Pederson were able to change the plays they called to better accommodate Foles' skills, using the same players, system, and overall playbook

It's really not that far off the sort of adjustments that should be made for individual opponents from week to week

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Blowing a lot smoke here. Now I need stats and videos to tell you that a half game of horrible QB play is not enough to judge a QB's career in his first rushed start? OK

So a half of a football game is all you need to make your assessment? He looked just fine against the Colts his 2nd game. If you expect a rookie QB to be thrown in a starter role with less than 4 days to prepare on the road to just tear it up your kidding yourself. He wasn't READY....

He was brought in as a development QB to begin with, throwing the 5th rounder under the bus is lame after 60 mins of playing time total in his career.

Cast your vote however you feel fit. I tend to reserve my judgment after a larger sample size. 

He was the same player coming out. I follow college football and the draft process. I have a ton of respect for guys like Gunner, Blokes and Bandit. They break down every snap in college. They despised him coming out. The issues that he had were the same that he displayed.

When they say a guy isn’t ready it’s because he struggles with understanding progressions and defenses. Those were Peterman’s strengths!! You don’t get a stronger arm to be more ready!! 

I’m not basing anything on a half of football. I am basing it on his skill set. I’ll bet you any amount that you want that he doesn’t start another 10 NFL games in his career. He is a bad player. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Like Tom Brady?  Teams miss but in this case he does not have enough college/pro experience to be starting IMO.

Oh great, the Brady excuse!! I once ran the numbers on here going back to Tom Brady’s draft. The hit ratio on QBs in the 5th or later was less than 5%. So you are right, he could be Tom Brady (or even Tyrod who falls in that realm). It is 20 times more likely that he is Levi Brown or Jeff Tuel (or worse). You keep buying lottery tickets and I’ll invest in blue chip stocks. You might end up rich but the chances are I will be better off.

5 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

I am not.  I think he will likely fail for the record.  None the less, I don't think that should preclude him getting the opportunity.  In a way, I thought the on again/off again thing with Manuel pretty much ruined any chance he had to show us anything.  Don't want the same to happen here.

You missed the humor, sorry

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you are drafting a rookie QB, you have to assume they won't be ready Week 1 so a stopgap is a necessity. Someone on a short term deal, small money and good enough to play all season if need be.  Hmmmm, who could that be?

Joe Webb  ????