$560,000,000 Lotto winner is suing to remain anonymous

http://www.unionleader.com/Lottery-winner:-Keep-my-ID-secret

"The woman, identified in court documents only as Jane Doe, asked that her identity remain a secret even though existing New Hampshire Lottery Commission rules require a winner sign the back of a winning ticket before being able to claim the prize. However, had the ticket been signed in the name of a trust, she could have maintained her privacy."

She screwed up. NH Lotto makes it clear winners must be identified. But NH also allows you to form an anonymous trust to accept the prize money. That's what many NH prize winners do. She didn't go that route for whatever reason.

Fyi that store is about 10 miles from my house. Used to drive by it when I did Farmers markets in Merrimack, NH.

i get so worried about how I'm going to claim my future $250,000,000 prize that I can't even go out of the house some days.

i would much enjoy the story of how someone, especially gutter trash, would handle such a payout, their changes in habit and how they blow the whole thing in about two years on average.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Does anyone know if New York allows trusts?

i know they allow trusts in the area, but i'm not sure about the specifics.  in regards to nys, it always comes down to how it's taxed.

51 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i get so worried about how I'm going to claim my future $250,000,000 prize that I can't even go out of the house some days.

i would much enjoy the story of how someone, especially gutter trash, would handle such a payout, their changes in habit and how they blow the whole thing in about two years on average.

i saw an entire episode on how lottery money absolutely destroyed people.  if you don't have the right people surrounding you, that kind of money can change your world for the worst.

there was one story i enjoyed.  one woman lived in a trailer park, but instead of moving out, she just kept adding trailers onto the one she already owned.  think of 7 or so connected trailers.  on top of that, she bought a bright green, (i think it was green) lamborghini that sat right out front.  that's the way to do it.

59 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Planning on winning big, are ya?

Oh yes, and I have been planning to do so for the last 40 years.   

I always thought the states that make you declare were putting the winners at risk. 

BTW, when the original Lotto started, the prize was $25,000 a year for life.  Just another example of how things have inflated.

24 minutes ago, teef said:

i know they allow trusts in the area, but i'm not sure about the specifics.  in regards to nys, it always comes down to how it's taxed.

i saw an entire episode on how lottery money absolutely destroyed people.  if you don't have the right people surrounding you, that kind of money can change your world for the worst.

there was one story i enjoyed.  one woman lived in a trailer park, but instead of moving out, she just kept adding trailers onto the one she already owned.  think of 7 or so connected trailers.  on top of that, she bought a bright green, (i think it was green) lamborghini that sat right out front.  that's the way to do it.

first thing is a lifetime supply of my favourite toothpaste

I don't buy lottery tickets but if I did and I won a large jackpot:

1. Immediately make a copy of my winning ticket, store the real one in a safe deposit box, and carry the copy to the biggest law firm in Albany, retain their services, and get their favorite large-sum financial manager in the room with us.

2. Claim the prize through a trust if possible (lump sum, duh).  This solves a lot of problems with the bloodsuckers crawling out of the woodwork.  Makes the next step unnecessary.

3. Assuming the trust thing isn't possible, or word somehow gets out, immediately take some of the cash and fly somewhere nice and remote to hide out for six months to a year until it blows over a bit.