Crazy to ask, but... Do the Eagles win the super bowl with Wentz tonight?

BillsFan130

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Easily. Wentz is the far better player. 

I agree with the later, but not necessarily with the former.  It's hard to tell with young guys, particularly quarterbacks, if they can perform in high pressure games.  Oftentimes they crumble when games begin to matter.

On paper though, yes, Wentz is significantly more talented than Foles.

• Like (+1) 1

Looking back on this one after a couple days to let it sink in, the answer is: No. The Eagles probably lose with Wentz at QB. Not because Wentz would've played poorly. I think he would have played very well - the Pats really showed nothing on defense. But Foles played a superb game (3 TDs, 1 TD scored! 1 INT, but that was a deflection and on a risky pass that was still worth the risk, no fumbles, a number of perfectly thrown balls in very tight windows), and the chances that Wentz would have been equally superb (or better)?  Just not very likely.  

The game plans would have been wildly different.  The eagles coach said they put in a lot of run/pass option plays because Files was so comfortable running those plays.  NE had lots of trouble with that, obviously.

I admire that in a coach and has always complained that in the NFL, coaches too often stick to "their system" instead of.building around the talent they have.  I'd love to trade for Foles, but chances are our offense would have zero run pass option plays in it, because our coach would have "his system" which doesn't include them....

On 2/4/2018 at 9:44 PM, billsfan11 said:

Hard to top 41 points and what was it, 600 yards of offence?

What a game by Foles.

Do you guys think the Eagles would have won if Wentz started?

Interesting question.  I'm not sure.

1) Belichick's D eats rookie QB for breakfast.  Their D does a great job of confusing them in coverage.  If they were trying to confuse Foles, it didn't work.  Would it have worked better with Wentz?  Hard to say.

2) The success of the Pats D, especially this year, is built on in-depth analysis of the team's past play and putting the defenders into the best position.  The Eagles say they significantly changed-up their offense during the bye week before their playoff game based on assessment of what Foles runs well.  That gave Belichick a disadvantage he wouldn't have had with a season of film on Wentz.

Bottom line, I don't know.  I think Wentz is a better QB overall, but Belichick has built his career on neutralizing great players.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:29 AM, joesixpack said:

The point here is when you have a qb who can pass that’s all you need. Both guys there can and none of ours can 

Joe, is that really the point you take from that game? 

I don't see Foles having a great game if the Eagles took that 'qb who can pass is all you need' viewpoint.

I don't see them winning, or even competing particularly strongly, without a top OL, top WR, a good "RB by committee", and a very good D that was able to pressure Brady with 4.

• Like (+1) 1

I was wondering the same thing. The honest answer is that we will never know. Wentz is a better player, but you never know how certain players will match up with their competition on any given day. For all we know, Wentz may have gotten nerves due to his inexperience, or may have missed some of the tight windows that Foles hit, etc...

We all know that being more talented does not always mean you will perform better on any given Sunday.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Easily. Wentz is the far better player. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wentz would have lit NE's defense up like a roman candle. 

Far better than Foles in the playoffs (that's the question here)?

His numbers are insane.  Wentz would have to be paying at another level to match Foles the last two games. 73% completion.  9.9 YPA, 971 yards.  6 TDs, 1 int.  116 rating.

I think the OPs question is very valid (not crazy) and I could easily answer "no" based on what Foles did.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Who is to say Wentz even gets you to the game?  This is the problem with hypotheticals.  You will never know the answer nor do you have all of the variables necessary to solve the equation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, simool said:

Who is to say Wentz even gets you to the game?  This is the problem with hypotheticals.  You will never know the answer nor do you have all of the variables necessary to solve the equation.

Oh I agree. Was just having a little fun by asking the question. No one knows of course

• Like (+1) 1