Report: Browns Add Scot McCloughan to the Front Office

Could be a bad thing for the Baker Mayfield fanboys like myself.

The radio host listed off a few of the notable names (Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Luke Falk), and then asked McCloughan directly, “You gotta pick one quarterback to lead your franchise, Scott, who’s it gonna be?”

Without missing a beat, McCloughan said Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield. McCloughan had this to say about Mayfield.

“He reminds me of a shorter version of Brett Favre. Tough guy. He can throw it. And he’s very confident, and he’s not afraid whatsoever, whatsoever. He’s a battler. I know saying Brett Favre’s a big name, and I was around him for a while, but this guy’s got talent. Every guy you mention has talent. I’ve already said I think three guys go in the top ten, I think five go in the first round.”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10/18/16492682/scot-mccloughan-2018-nfl-draft-quarterback-franchise-baker-mayfield

6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Browns owner now needs to just have patience.

They have assembled an excellent front office with Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, and now McCloughan.  You combine that with 12 picks in the '18 draft and $100M+ in cap space they could quickly become a force in the AFC. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They have assembled an excellent front office with Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, and now McCloughan.  You combine that with 12 picks in the '18 draft and $100M+ in cap space they could quickly become a force in the AFC. 

They need to do something with that coaching staff. They are horrible.

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

..... and the guy who built the Redskins recently.......

He was GM for 2 seasons.

This poor guy knows a lot of people.  He's been terminated or resigned from 3 different teams for the same problem.

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

They brought this guy in for a reason, so I wouldn't discount it be more a democracy than a communist type situation with Dorsey being the dictator

He's going to help scout...

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hue might well be a short timer.  They'll be able to attract good coaches given their situation. 

It's about GM/HC relationships now days and KC's staff has been picked apart already.

They should have made the change this year and brought in Nagy.

17 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Is this something that I should care about?

If you are an NFL fan, I'd say yeah. McCloughan is one of the best talent evaluators of this generation and has proven it wherever he has been. He has some obvious personal issues, but many felt that Snyder cooked up rumors about him in Washington and that he didn't actually have a drinking problem there. He didn't get along with Allen, who is a terrible gm. 

Edited by dave mcbride

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They hired a guy fired twice for having a problem with alcohol.   

Ok.  

They hired him to Cleveland!!

That team could drive anybody to drink.

Oh, Cleveland is also one of the highest spiking opioid abuse cities in the country, maybe Scotty 2 hottie will find a new vice??

Just now, dave mcbride said:

If you are an NFL fan, I'd say yeah. McCloughan is one of the best talent evaluators of this generation and has proven it wherever he has been. He has some obvious personal issues, but many felt that Snyder cooked up ropumora about him in Washington and that he didn't actually have a drinking problem there. He didn't get along with Allen, who is a terrible gm. 

Same thing I have heard from people in the know in Washington. 

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If you are an NFL fan, I'd say yeah. McCloughan is one of the best talent evaluators of this generation and has proven it wherever he has been. He has some obvious personal issues, but many felt that Snyder cooked up rumors about him in Washington and that he didn't actually have a drinking problem there. He didn't get along with Allen, who is a terrible gm. 

But this doesn’t really affect me as a Bills fan at all. Not trying to be a dick I just don’t know if this related to the bills or Kirk cousins or something 

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

But this doesn’t really affect me as a Bills fan at all. Not trying to be a dick I just don’t know if this related to the bills or Kirk cousins or something 

McLoughlan was saying there is nothing special about Cousins a week or so ago in the media. Some are connecting the dots and assuming that the Browns will eliminate themselves from the Cousins sweepstakes because of McLoughlans presence on the staff. These same folks may be keen on the Bills acquiring Cousins. That is all.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Smart. Seems like he's go people skills problems, but he's really good.

....agree.......sure he has some issues but he knows his stuff......now on the other hand, Browns hiring the Colts former GM Grigson, a man of many talents (COUGH) is baffling...

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....agree.......sure he has some issues but he knows his stuff......now on the other hand, Browns hiring the Colts former GM Grigson, a man of many talents (COUGH) is baffling...

Grigson is gone now. He was just a scout for them though.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

The op likes him because he talks bad about Cousins.  

I dont think you should care,     Browns hire alcoholic ??‍♂️

Alcoholics get hired every day. What's your point?

Guy has built 2 teams, if he can keep his demons at bay I'd be very stoked if I was a Browns fan.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sources: Browns add ex-Skins GM McCloughan

Former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan will join the Browns staff to help with the 2018 draft, sources told ESPN.

Welp, scratch the Browns as a landing spot for Kirk Cousins.  Not that I think he'd go there, or that the Browns, owning 2 picks in the top 5, should back up the truck for him, but it was being talked of.

I'm Captain Kirk, I'm "wherever this guy goest,  I shall (NOT) go"

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Welp, scratch the Browns as a landing spot for Kirk Cousins.  Not that I think he'd go there, or that the Browns, owning 2 picks in the top 5, should back up the truck for him, but it was being talked of.

I'm Captain Kirk, I'm "wherever this guy goest,  I shall (NOT) go"

McCloughan is only with Cleveland through the 2018 draft as a consultant. 

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....makes sense....wonder if that precludes him for doing work in his scouting agency for other teams.....

He's locked in until after the draft:

Prior to joining the Browns, McCloughan openly praised Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield as the QB he would favor if he were choosing one for this draft. However, team sources say there is no clear favorite if the team decides to use the top pick on a quarterback, as expected, and Dorsey will lead an extensive evaluation process on several of the top candidates.

McCloughan and Dorsey once served together under Hall of Fame Packers general manager Ron Wolf. McCloughan has twice served as a GM -- with the 49ers and the Redskins -- until he was unceremoniously fired by Washington in March 2017. McCloughan filed a grievance against the Redskins, who fired him "with cause" and the outcome is pending.

McCloughan formed an independent scouting agency shortly thereafter, but Dorsey recruited him with the permission of owner Jimmy Haslam after Dorsey was named the Browns' new GM in December.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's locked in until after the draft:

Prior to joining the Browns, McCloughan openly praised Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield as the QB he would favor if he were choosing one for this draft. However, team sources say there is no clear favorite if the team decides to use the top pick on a quarterback, as expected, and Dorsey will lead an extensive evaluation process on several of the top candidates.

McCloughan and Dorsey once served together under Hall of Fame Packers general manager Ron Wolf. McCloughan has twice served as a GM -- with the 49ers and the Redskins -- until he was unceremoniously fired by Washington in March 2017. McCloughan filed a grievance against the Redskins, who fired him "with cause" and the outcome is pending.

McCloughan formed an independent scouting agency shortly thereafter, but Dorsey recruited him with the permission of owner Jimmy Haslam after Dorsey was named the Browns' new GM in December.

...probably signed a Confidentiality Agreement with Browns while his agency staff continues on with work for other clubs, assuming he wasn't a "one man show"...good hire by Dorsey anyway.....

• Like (+1) 1