Sammy Coming Back???

Kwai San

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

LA "fanbase" possible backlash aside, imagine you are that front office and Sammy's agent is asking for much more than what they paid Woods - possibly double. How do you justify that investment?! Woods had a career year and is what, ~$7M/year and only $15M guaranteed?

I was just looking at Sammy's Spotrac Market Value earlier in the week.

It's 18 million for 3 years.  6 Million average.

Remember when everyone thought it would be over 12 and closer to 14.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was somewhat informed speculation by a sportswriter only. And wasn't jumped on by other insiders. It could very well still happen but not a foregone conclusion at all. 

If they want to make up for the trade they should let him walk and grab the 2019 comp pick. It’s the only way to (at last somewhat) recoup the draft capital and not use up all that cap space on a non-integral piece of the team. Too much draft capital (2nd round pick + Comp pick they would have gotten from Gaines) and cap tied into a depth guy who may be unsignable given their cap situation, unless he comes way down in his demands. The offense, predicated on a QB who isn’t going anywhere for a long time, isn’t a great fit for his strengths. Mcvay’s offense in Washington with cousins would have been a better fit.  Also most players hate being tagged and if he has the slightest injury  is going to be wary to play or to play aggressively. Not a knock on his own willingness to play through injury, just a common issue with guys playing on the tag. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Sammy is slowing down and don’t expect him starting again for any team.  I liked him while here, but that was a long time ago.  We’re going to draft someone a WR.  Cheaper.

Ya at 24 years old he is nearing the end of his career. Playing on borrowed time already

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Ya at 24 years old he is nearing the end of his career. Playing on borrowed time already

Haha yeah that’s not right at all. He’s just entering his prime. But, he hasn’t found the best situation for him.  I don’t think it’s the Rams. The short term optics of spending the high pick on a one year rental who wasn’t a key piece of the offense looks bad and I’m sure they are tempted to tag him for that reason. but in the long term, from a cap and team building perspective it makes sense for the Rams to let him hit the market, get the comp pick, and use that cap to build up the team elsewhere. The QB is locked in so the offense isn’t going to change, the other WRs are young and cheaper, they can draft more or sign a cheaper FA. You tag a guy if you think you can eventually sign him long term and just need more time. It’s bad cap management if you just tag him so he’s there one more year and you hope people don’t see the trade as a fail.

Edited by YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was just looking at Sammy's Spotrac Market Value earlier in the week.

It's 18 million for 3 years.  6 Million average.

Remember when everyone thought it would be over 12 and closer to 14.

0.0% chance he takes that type of deal. If I were Sammy and that is what my agent brought me as the best he could do, I'd fire him. 

5 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

0.0% chance he takes that type of deal. If I were Sammy and that is what my agent brought me as the best he could do, I'd fire him. 

Technically he could go the Alshon route and sign a short term deal somewhere he will be the #1 WR with a good QB and then become a UFA when his value is higher. It didn’t work for Pryor with the Redskins but it did work for Alshon who then got a huge extension  from the Eagles. It just depends on how much he wants to bet on himself. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Technically he could go the Alshon route and sign a short term deal somewhere he will be the #1 WR with a good QB and then become a UFA when his value is higher. It didn’t work for Pryor with the Redskins but it did work for Alshon who then got a huge extension  from the Eagles. It just depends on how much he wants to bet on himself. 

I could see this working in his favor.....BUT - which team/QB???

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cowboys? I think they are going to move on from Dez. Now there is a guy who is slowing down. 

Yeah but it they move on from Dez....doubt it....who is tossing the ball?  Yeah I know it will be Dez.....

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That was strictly a professional response, but glad he is not limiting his options or harboring any grudges.

Whoever quarterbacks this team in September is going to need more than Kelvin Benjamin. I always like Sammy and I always felt he was a very talented receiver who was under used. not to mention he had a very mediocre quarterback throwing to him. He just finished a season with the Rams where he was not injured at all and who knows what lies ahead but it wouldn't be a horrible idea to consider him at a reasonable salary.