Tyrod Wants to Stay with the Bills, but Won't Take Another Pay Cut

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have to say: I've seen silly arguments on TBD before, but this one does "take the cake"

Apparently those guys that say Cassel "started" think Cassel beat out Tyrod for the starting quarterback job, but then was benched by Rex after one handoff because it must have been clear by that one play that he couldn't get the job done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

The offense was a bore that couldn’t pass ?

Winning is fun regardless of if the offense is "exciting" or not IMHO. Its all about WINNING. They don't tally up the 

Passing yards and "exciting" plays at the end of the game to determine the winner.

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Apparently those guys that say Cassel "started" think Cassel beat out Tyrod for the starting quarterback job, but then was benched by Rex after one handoff because it must have been clear by that one play that he couldn't get the job done. 

What is truly apparent is that some folks think they can close their eyes and wish away that Matt Cassel was under center for the first play of the Colts game.

Reality hurts.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok put it this way. All three QBs had a Million dollar bonus tied to who opens the season as the Starter. (First snap of the season) who gets that Bonus 

Taylor or Cassel

Turns out the Bills did indeed give Cassel a huge bonus for starting that game as quarterback. 

$58.73

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23973/one-snap-played-gets-matt-cassel-extra-58-73-from-bills

4 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

261 opposing. 

have a ways to go. :flirt:

edit: since I posted this it has remained 67 for and up 3 votes to 264 oppose. little stunt in your growing there.

Hmmm... is 67 more than the "more than a half dozen" Shady said?

My math is kinda shaky... but pretty sure 67 is a buttload more than 6.

Point signed, sealed and delivered :thumbsup:

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Hmmm... is 67 more than the "more than a half dozen" Shady said?

My math is kinda shaky... but pretty sure 67 is a buttload more than 6.

Point signed, sealed and delivered :thumbsup:

you think maybe he was referring to those few who are (posting) vocal about keeping him?

that would be my guess.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I understand that line of thinking.  Here's my main issue with Taylor over the last three years.  I won't include this year because his WR weapons were pathetic and Dennison's system was awful at using his skill set.

2015:

At New England -Down 20 to 13.  Ball back with a little over two minutes left.  Doesn't advance the ball past the 50 yard line.  Sack basically ends game.

At Kansas City - Down 30 to 22.  Ball back with a little over three minutes left.  Doesn't advance the ball past our own 20 yard line.  Sack and fumble ends game.

At Philadelphia - Down 23-20. Ball back 1:53 left in the 4th.  Throws interception on a deep pass on 3rd and 8 from his own 33 yard line.

2016:

At Ravens - Down 13-7.  Ball at own 22 with 5 and a half minutes left.  Three and out including a 12 yard sack.  Bills don't get ball back.

At Seahawks - Down 31-25.  Ball at own 40 with 2:41 left.  Plays great and drives team downfield.  Takes a 7 yard sack on 3rd and goal and incomplete on 4th down.

At Raiders - Up 24 to 9 and looking like a playoff team midway through 3rd quarter.  Oakland scores four straight TD's to win game.  Offense has three straight three and outs and then Tyrod throws a pick.  Mack ends game with a sack/fumble.

He's made some 4th quarter comebacks against some mediocre teams, but when he's facing a tough opponent on the road he folds again and again.  You need a quarterback who can lead his team back and get those tough wins.  Tyrod is a great team player and hard worker, but he isn't and probably will never be a franchise quarterback.

I agree this is a valid gripe of Hotrod. You left out onehat really bugged me. In the last Fish game last year on the play before the missed Carp FG, he had Flash open in the EZ and missed him. Would have won the game and possibly we would have made playoffs

I wish he was better at this. Maybe he has improved some. This year he had 3 opportunities. Bucs down 7 in 4th,we won by 3. Panther down by 3 with less than 1:00 to play he hits Jones in hands at 2 yard line. Pass looked worse because Jones fan a bad route. (that's what Donald Jones said and he played WR in the NFL so I take his word over experts on TBD).   Against Bungles he laid an egg.  That's 3opportunities and he did his job in 2 of them.

We were able to make the playoffs in spite of it though.  

Every QB has problems. Some more than others.

My thing is, after 17 years of no playoffs, i don't want go dump hmi on a wing and a prayer that some rookie we draft is the next Peyton Manning. Or pick up some ofher vet that's marginally better ci that. I would prefer to keep the train rolling until an upgrade is in hand.

We need better QB play absolutely. But its really hard to find a QB even as good as Hotrod that you can win with. This is not moving on from EJ or JP or Trent or Fitz.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree this is a valid gripe of Hotrod. You left out onehat really bugged me. In the last Fish game last year on the play before the missed Carp FG, he had Flash open in the EZ and missed him. Would have won the game and possibly we would have made playoffs

I wish he was better at this. Maybe he has improved some. This year he had 3 opportunities. Bucs down 7 in 4th,we won by 3. Panther down by 3 with less than 1:00 to play he hits Jones in hands at 2 yard line. Pass looked worse because Jones fan a bad route. (that's what Donald Jones said and he played WR in the NFL so I take his word over experts on TBD).   Against Bungles he laid an egg.  That's 3opportunities and he did his job in 2 of them.

My thing is, after 17 years of no playoffs, i don't want go dump hmi on a wing and a prayer that some rookie we draft is the next Peyton Manning. Or pick up some ofher vet that's marginally better ci that. I would prefer to keep the train rolling until an upgrade is in hand.

We need better QB play absolutely. But its really hard to find a QB even as good as Hotrod that you can win with. This is not moving on from EJ or JP or Trent or Fitz.

Yeah it is hard to find a QB that can make one drive work in a entire game to get that 3 points.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I have not been talking bad about Taylor at all in a long time. But the facts remain. 

Cassel took the 1st snap of the game at QB. Taylor at WR. 

So for that game Taylor was the starting WR and Cassel the starting QB. 

Rex Ryan announced Tyrod Taylor was the starting QB for the Buffalo Bills on August 31st, 2015:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000518335/article/tyrod-taylor-named-buffalo-bills-starting-quarterback%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league;team%3Dind;team%3Dbuf;team%3Dpit;conf%3Dafc;dvsn%3Dacs;dvsn%3Dace;dvsn%3Dacn;plyr%3Dmatthew_cassel;plyr%3Dcharles_clay;plyr%3Dtyrod_taylor&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

Tyrod Taylor was the starting QB in week 1 of 2015.

Matt Cassel started week 1 at QB in week 1 of 2015.

Tyrod Taylor is 23-20 as a starting QB

Tyrod Taylor is 22-20 as the starter at QB

You want stupid semantics? There ya go. :doh: 

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I have not been talking bad about Taylor at all in a long time. But the facts remain. 

Cassel took the 1st snap of the game at QB. Taylor at WR. 

So for that game Taylor was the starting WR and Cassel the starting QB. 

Rex Ryan announced Tyrod Taylor was the starting QB for the Buffalo Bills on August 31st, 2015:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000518335/article/tyrod-taylor-named-buffalo-bills-starting-quarterback%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league;team%3Dind;team%3Dbuf;team%3Dpit;conf%3Dafc;dvsn%3Dacs;dvsn%3Dace;dvsn%3Dacn;plyr%3Dmatthew_cassel;plyr%3Dcharles_clay;plyr%3Dtyrod_taylor&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Read above for the NFL definition of Starter. 

Thanks for playing. 22-20

55 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you think maybe he was referring to those few who are (posting) vocal about keeping him?

that would be my guess.

I was trying to be nice and not refer to  them as cultists. 

(sarcasm). 

Tp can play his little games.

so can anyone else if that choose to.  

13 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

56 yards

This got old the 2nd time you posted it.  

4 three point games, benched multiple times because he had 2 games with a QB rating under 35.  

If that makes you proud and still believe in Taylor well, enjoy it.   

6 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Agreed. The Bills with Tyrod @ the helm were 21st in the league in scoring with a paltry 18.9 ppg. With that kind of putrid performance this playoff berth can mostly be attributed to the performance of our defense and an outstanding coaching job by the staff.

The year before we were 7th with Hotrod under center. What changed?

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d agree with this too. It may very well slow it. I’m not sure if it is better or worse for these bridge type of guys that FA is first? I’d say that it is probably worse.

I think that pendulum is swinging though. After Osweiler and Glennon fell on their faces I’d think that teams would have more of a resume. This holds especially true after guys like Keenum, Foles and Bortles played for conference championships. Teams will start shifting the dollars away from boom or bust guys and towards guys that have some production. They will draft upside and invest in the higher floor.

very interesting take , coming from you especially.
I can see it being a necessary way to keep a team in the fray come post season 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

The year before we were 7th with Hotrod under center. What changed?

Teams figured out Tyrod by the end of the season every season it is why every OC was replaced. Each new system gets simplified (dumbed down-Taylor made), it only takes a short time to figure what makes it tick. All comes down to just make him be a QB IMO.

OC#4 will be no different. He is what he is, NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I want better and this team to move on, he is not worth keeping at that price tag.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The team that is going to be interesting to watch this offseason is Minnesota. Bradford will probably be gone. The tough issues for the Vikes is whether they decide to keep both Keenum and Bridgewater followed by how much will they play one of them or each of them. Or are the Vikings going to commit to Keenum or will it be Bridgewater? Does Bridgewater want to stay or will it be in his best interest to hit the market when there should be a demand for his services? 

The Alex Smith signing definitely takes away a competitor in the qb draft market for us, and so will the signing of Cousins. This qb market still has a lot of scrambling to do before the free agent market winds down and the draft is upon us.  As it stands I have no clue as to how McBeane is going to address the qb issue from either the draft and free agency standpoint. It is both perplexing and intriguing! 

agreed on all fronts.
I would not be surprised to pick up Bridgewater if he shakes free after all. he would start and tyrod would be gone ??
  Am cool with Tyrod, but Bills then are forced to draft one they think really can catch fire in a year or so. whatever Bills do this year at QB will be very defining in understanding McBeanes  ( and yes i consider its a two headed monster )

3 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Teams figured out Tyrod by the end of the season every season it is why every OC was replaced. Each new system gets simplified (dumbed down-Taylor made), it only takes a short time to figure what makes it tick. All comes down to just make him be a QB IMO.

OC#4 will be no different. He is what he is, NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I want better and this team to move on, he is not worth keeping at that price tag.

nope. Teams did attempt to force him to throw. By loading the box for two seasons. But that is not what changed and you know that. The new system McD brought did not fit the line nor TT. Beane gave us no WRs. yes, thats what happened

54 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Right on my man.  You nailed it on all points as far as I'm concerned.

Essentially, we're not in a dissimilar spot to where we were in 2013 with Fitz.  He had a big roster bonus due.  We weren't happy with the team's W-L record, his 16 INTs, his 212 passing ypg.  We wanted better QB play.  So we ditched Fitz in favor of Kolb, a guy who was just as mediocre (or maybe worse) but added fragility to his other attributes. 

The "ABT crowd" is the flavor-of-the-month here, I know, but truth is, I don't see the point in dumping a mediocre guy for someone worse, just for the sake of appeasement.