Fred Jackson Is The WRONG Kind of Player To Roast

BuffaloRush

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yep, was about to mention this.  Bills legends...Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, and...Doug Flutie.  LOL.

Thats a fair point.  Flutie is not in the same legend.  But when people associate players with the Buffalo Bills, many still think of the Magic Flutie.  Also he’d be a great subject to roast, although the great work he does with his son for Autism fundraising if off limits.  

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

OP you have it all wrong. Fred was a leader in the locker room but outside football, he is a jokester that just likes to have legit fun. He is the type of person that doesn't need to even drink before "loosening up". Roasts are supposed to be fun and Fred will have a ball.

I think this is more about the OP and not Freddy.

sorry op.. you got this one wrong..

Yeah I remember during Marrone's first year he slammed a basketball on his head with some teammates.  I suppose Doug was a little more relaxed then.

Plus that car accident he had back with the Seahawks.  I think he was going like 100 mph?

I get what the OP was trying to say but I think as you mentioned Freddie definitely had a jokey/fun side

I love how in the radio ad, Bulldog says "Some things, you just to be there!"  Uh, no bull - if you're not there, it's not like you can watch it on TV.

I don't understand how anyone would want to go to this thing every year.  I get depressed just hearing the commercials. 

It also seems to me that with this and the golf tournament that I think it's all for their profit.  And, I think most people think it's for charity...........I could be wrong on both counts, but I don't think so.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:14 PM, Another Fan said:

Yeah I remember during Marrone's first year he slammed a basketball on his head with some teammates.  I suppose Doug was a little more relaxed then.

Plus that car accident he had back with the Seahawks.  I think he was going like 100 mph?

I get what the OP was trying to say but I think as you mentioned Freddie definitely had a jokey/fun side

yep 100 mph and you no why he was going that fast? a teammate dared him lol.. we were all young and dumb one time in our life right? lol but back to topic at hand.. op had it all wrong.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:20 PM, bbb said:

I love how in the radio ad, Bulldog says "Some things, you just to be there!"  Uh, no bull - if you're not there, it's not like you can watch it on TV.

I don't understand how anyone would want to go to this thing every year.  I get depressed just hearing the commercials. 

It also seems to me that with this and the golf tournament that I think it's all for their profit.  And, I think most people think it's for charity...........I could be wrong on both counts, but I don't think so.

I dislike ads that say A portion of the precedes will be donated to ....,fill in the charity. What %? I used to volunteer at a event that used that line. Went on to their web site and could never find how much was donated. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2018 at 10:38 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Dude it's all in good fun...

roasts have been going on for 50+ years   And it is all to celebrate Fred

comedy central roasts are raunchy but they are paid to be...its all in good fun man

....EXACTLY....and FredEx is a class act and one helluva good sport......several years ago, Stevie Johnson was to show up at VanBortel Ford in Roch-Cha-Cha to sign autographs.....sure enough, Stevie was a no show citing "car trouble (COUGH)".....FredEx to the rescue....showed up at the dealership and stayed until every last fan got his autograph.....typical FredEx IMO.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2018 at 4:48 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Thats a fair point.  Flutie is not in the same legend.  But when people associate players with the Buffalo Bills, many still think of the Magic Flutie.  Also he’d be a great subject to roast, although the great work he does with his son for Autism fundraising if off limits.  

Flutie has a deeply negative and fatalistic viewpoint, which I enjoy for his college work, and this isn't really the type you want to roast.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Thank you....this was my original point.  Some seem to be misinterpreting what I was trying to say.  

I get that it's all in good fun but as @NoSaint said much better than I did - there's not a lot of angles for quality jokes.  Therefore Fred's the wrong guy to roast

Nahhh..

This is what you said:

Honestly, does anyone really want to see Fred Jackson get made fun of?  And what really is there is to make fun or Fred about?  He's an underdog that overachieved big time -- one of the most likable players in team history.  We all love Fred, so when someone takes a shot at him we'll probably empathize with him as opposed to laugh at his expense."

And do you really think a roast of TT or Fitz or.....Pegula (??) would be laugh riots--far more so than Freddy?

Yeah, with that wacky trio, the jokes would just write themselves....

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nahhh..

This is what you said:

Honestly, does anyone really want to see Fred Jackson get made fun of?  And what really is there is to make fun or Fred about?  He's an underdog that overachieved big time -- one of the most likable players in team history.  We all love Fred, so when someone takes a shot at him we'll probably empathize with him as opposed to laugh at his expense."

And do you really think a roast of TT or Fitz or.....Pegula (??) would be laugh riots--far more so than Freddy?

Yeah, with that wacky trio, the jokes would just write themselves....

Yes I do!  There’s a lot of material on all 3 of the players you mentioned.  We’re talking a roast here...not a lot of material on Fred

So listening to Jeremy White interview Fred on WGR basically confirmed everything I said in the original post.  Fred seems like a very nice and humble guy, but not a humorous guy in any way or a good storyteller.  Jeremy who can be funny in a sarcastic way, had no material.

It was a nice interview but there was no laughs and my prediction is that the roast will be the same.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The roast, as horribly misguided as it is, is tonight, Bills fans.

This is good as WGR promotion of said event will cease after today.

Should be a great time.  I wish my schedule permitted, but those damn upper level meetings!  At any rate, I am glad GR are running these.  I bet they are hilarious and definitely need to get to one or two...Love the pit of misery chair as well!