OT--- How the hell is Roger Craig not in the HOF?

Big Turk

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not entirely- but I guess he’s that guy who had a kid play linebacker for the Bills at some point 

Yep.  his son Jay played for the Bills from 1999-2001.

Here's a 'Billsy" entry on Chuck's Wiki page that made me chuckle:

"...Foreman just missed a rare NFC 'Triple Crown' (rushing yards, receptions & TDs) in 1975. The last regular season game was a nationally televised contest during a classic Buffalo, NY snowstorm. A hostile crowd supported hometown hero O.J. Simpson, who moved in front of Foreman and tied Gale Sayers' NFL record with his 22nd TD of the season in the first half. Late in the 3rd quarter, Foreman was hit in the eye by a snowball while chasing a pass. He went out of the game for a couple of plays, then returned with blurred vision to catch a six-yard touchdown, tying Sayers and Simpson for the record. That was it, though; he spent the last quarter on the bench, and less than a minute later, Simpson scored on a 54-yard reception to surpass Sayers & Foreman."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Lurker said:

"...Foreman just missed a rare NFC 'Triple Crown' (rushing yards, receptions & TDs) in 1975. The last regular season game was a nationally televised contest during a classic Buffalo, NY snowstorm. A hostile crowd supported hometown hero O.J. Simpson, who moved in front of Foreman and tied Gale Sayers' NFL record with his 22nd TD of the season in the first half. Late in the 3rd quarter, Foreman was hit in the eye by a snowball while chasing a pass. He went out of the game for a couple of plays, then returned with blurred vision to catch a six-yard touchdown, tying Sayers and Simpson for the record. That was it, though; he spent the last quarter on the bench, and less than a minute later, Simpson scored on a 54-yard reception to surpass Sayers & Foreman."

full story above! It's pretty hilarious at the end. The Vikings offense left the field before the game was over!

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

That was a wild game. Foreman was extremely dangerous for a few seasons.

I think we'll be having this same convo about frank gore in 20 years.

unreal consistency. consistently good. NOT GREAT. he'll be a top 5 rusher when all is said and done and I doubt he'll ever get in. 

always very good. but he only had one season where he was really at the top of the position. the rest he was just a very good consistent player.

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think we'll be having this same convo about frank gore in 20 years.

Only 8 playoff games in a 13-year career is certainly going to hurt him.   

Still, I think his 17,698 all-purpose regular season yards should be enough to get him over the top (1,100+ more than Thurman's 16,532)...

Edited by Lurker

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Only 8 playoff games in a 13-year career is certainly going to hurt him.   

Still, I think his 17,698 all-purpose regular season yards should be enough to get him over the top...

I think he's accumulated the resume but I wont be surprised when he doesn't get in.

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think he's accumulated the resume but I wont be surprised when he doesn't get in.

Gore will get in. I'm assuming he's going to play next year (he was good this season), and he will quickly pass Curtis Martin for #4 on the all-time rushing list. He's 75 yards behind Martin and 1,243 behind Barry Sanders.

• Like (+1) 1

The big one for me is Edgerrin James. He's not in, and he's only RB with over 12,000 yards who isn't. He also has 15,610 total yards - 2500 more than Craig and 700 more than Ricky Watters. He played a lot in the postseason too. 

James had 91 total TDs, as did Watters. Craig had 73. James also led the league in rushing twice.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Conversely ...

How the hell is Terrell Davis IN the Hall of Fame?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviTe00.htm

For comparison, here are Craig's stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CraiRo00.htm

Interesing debate but TD was first team all pro 3 times vs 1. Terrell Davis was more dominate than Craig.  Believe a knee injury derailed his career.  But he is in the hall the same way Gale Sawyers is..  Their best games and season were best ever category.    

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

ricky has a huge gripe as well.... he was a jerk to the media and I think that's what screwed him.

Yup;  Rickey was pretty much a jerk his whole career, even back to Notre Dame.  But a fantastic talent and uber productive.