Outside of friends and family recommendations

The Poojer

how would you search for a realtor?  What tools would you use to do some preliminary legwork?  Is there any difference between Zillow, Realtor etc?  I was given a name of a realtor from a former friend, she didn't seem to be concerned with helping someone in my 'price range'.  I reached out to a friend/acquaintance who is a realtor and getting an appointment was a struggle, then when we finally settled on a meeting, she didn't show.  Both coincidentally were with the same Berkshire Hathaway firm.  I am hoping to find something by July.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Look around your area - what signs are posted? Note the agencies. Contact them. Some realtors will look at a neighborbood and say it is below their $$ level.  I ran into that in a hot California market. There will be someone else that is interested. Zillow can be quite misleading if it is a hot market.

Edited by Bob Lamb
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Both coincidentally were with the same Berkshire Hathaway firm.  

There's your problem, you don't have Berkshire Hathaway tastes or money. You need a firm like House R Us. 

Seriously though, I don't know. 

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

how would you search for a realtor?  What tools would you use to do some preliminary legwork?  Is there any difference between Zillow, Realtor etc?  I was given a name of a realtor from a former friend, she didn't seem to be concerned with helping someone in my 'price range'.  I reached out to a friend/acquaintance who is a realtor and getting an appointment was a struggle, then when we finally settled on a meeting, she didn't show.  Both coincidentally were with the same Berkshire Hathaway firm.  I am hoping to find something by July.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pooj, if you go to Realtor.com, there is a find a realtor button in there. Hit advance search and you can plug in zip codes you are interested in buying, and then sort results by a ton of different filters.Always good to find someone who has a lot of listings in the general price range and location you are interested in, even if you are just buying. Going to take some time doing the research, but prolly well worth it.

• Like (+1) 2

Could it be that with a July time frame they are not interested? I have looked online at homes, and in one case found a realtor based on the home I found, the house was in contract, but it was a great realtor, I ended up buying a different house with her. When we outgrew that house, I used her again to get the next house which wasn't her listing, but was on MLS. What I liked (personal preference) was she just opened the door and got me access, I knew what works and didn't work. She just let us go through and check out stuff and would add a comment if I missed something.

We bought something out of state recently, and that realtor was good although she was recommended by a friend. Same MO, she gave us a list of 20 homes to look at and had us pare it down to about 4-5 for the day. We met her and just went through and she allowed us in, let us roam through the places, and pointed out anything we may have overlooked. We may end up buying again in the same out of state location and I will definitely use her again. 

My advice, use the web to zero in a bit, once you talk to a few when they call back, see if you connect with any. 

Good luck, happy hunting

19 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Zillo or Redfin.  

Who needs a realtor to look. 

Selling is is another item altogether

I lived in this world for a while. I despise Zillow for their bogus estimates and Redfin is not my favorite. If you want to buy, Realtor.com is by far the most up-to-date. I can’t tell you how many calls I got from people on Zillow about a house I leased weeks ago. It’s got VERY annoying.

Having said all that, if you’re buying the agent is free. They get paid out of the commission. There no reason NOT to have one. They can set you up with an MLS search designed just for you (# of bedrooms, baths, school district, pool?, etc.). You’ll get email alerts for anything new to the market or on price changes. Finding a GOOD one is trickier as that will matter big time later on when it comes to negotiating. 

You’ve heard of the 80/20 rule? It’s more like 95/5 rule in real estate. About 5% of the agents do 95% of the deals. Check their websites, it will usually have a bio and include “recent” deals. You can tell how “active” they are there a lot of times. Don’t get a part time agent who also cuts hair. 

57 minutes ago, Augie said:

I lived in this world for a while. I despise Zillow for their bogus estimates and Redfin is not my favorite. If you want to buy, Realtor.com is by far the most up-to-date. I can’t tell you how many calls I got from people on Zillow about a house I leased weeks ago. It’s got VERY annoying.

Having said all that, if you’re buying the agent is free. They get paid out of the commission. There no reason NOT to have one. They can set you up with an MLS search designed just for you (# of bedrooms, baths, school district, pool?, etc.). You’ll get email alerts for anything new to the market or on price changes. Finding a GOOD one is trickier as that will matter big time later on when it comes to negotiating. 

You’ve heard of the 80/20 rule? It’s more like 95/5 rule in real estate. About 5% of the agents do 95% of the deals. Check their websites, it will usually have a bio and include “recent” deals. You can tell how “active” they are there a lot of times. Don’t get a part time agent who also cuts hair. 

I can say that I was looking for close to 5 years in Virginia and it was a PIA 

I used both as a reference along with Realtor.com.  

You have to do your homework and not trust any one site.   

Picking a realtor is also something that takes research.   

Outside the prices the others were easier than navigate iirc

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I can say that I was looking for close to 5 years in Virginia and it was a PIA 

I used both as a reference along with Realtor.com.  

You have to do your homework and not trust any one site.   

Picking a realtor is also something that takes research.   

Outside the prices the others were easier than navigate iirc

Agreed, a ton of options these days. I can say using Zillow and some others can waste some time as they are not as up to date as Realtor.com. I know this for a fact. If you prefer the ease of use elsewhere, check on Realtor before getting too excited.  Don’t waste time and fall in love with what’s no longer available. Theyre not always wrong, just not as current.

Getting a good agent is a huge deal. 

On 1/30/2018 at 6:15 PM, The Poojer said:

Pooj - trying to figure out from your post if you are buying or selling.