Who works out ?? at the gym ?

mead107

Not me...Cardio I like to do outside, either run or bike, and when training for a tri throw in swim.

When in shape I also do a number of different Beach Body online workouts.

Been doing hot yoga last couple weeks, been excellent for my movement and my "pliability"

I do something different every day.

I generally start on the stair machine or treadmill for about 30 minutes.  

Some days I'll use the machines for weights, some days free weights.

My total workout is about an hour.  I super set my weight training and don't take brakes other than walking to a new machine.

Basically do a set of chest, move to legs, then move to back and repeat that cycle 3 times.  Then move to biceps, triceps and shoulders...cycle that 3 times.  

i do mostly free weights, and at the end if i have time i'll do 30 mins of light cardio.

i have a 3 to 4 day cycle.  one day is back/biceps, next is legs/shoulders, third is chest/tris, and the last day, (if i do) is mostly stretches, abs,  cardio, or something that i think needs extra work.  i think my workout is stale, but i do 4 sets of 10 reps for pretty much everything.  start the first set light, last set heavy.  i try to do almost all free weights, but if an area at the gym is busy, or i'm unusually sore, i'll use the machines.  i always squat using a smith machine.

if anyone has any good suggestions, or know how i should improve what i'm doing, i'd greatly appreciate.

I have a gym set up at home.  It is a fairly inexpensive set up.  Pull/dip bar, Revolution balance board, Bosu Ball, Mobility balls, medicine ball, kettlebells, slant boards, pvc pipes, baseball bat, exercise bands.  I try and train core every day, differently.  Day 1 I do upper body.  Day 2 lower body.  Day 3 Yoga and/or Cardio.  Balance exercises and yoga poses daily

There are so many excellent training videos on youtube.  I particularily enjoy the Stack NFL training videos- Drew Brees, Dwight Freeney, Antonio Brown- all very different approach's with training down to a science

They just debit my checking account directly. It’s really quite easy.   Every year or so I drive by to see that it’s still there.

My wife started going to Orange Theory instead, so we now save $250/month. I stayed for the 4 tennis courts they dome for a few  months a year, but the people I play with are not willing to pay to play. The people at the club just do stinking clinics all winter. I HATE clinics. Let’s PLAY THE GAME! 

I was a regular gym rat when i was in the military......put on too much weight when i got out and my time as a student advisor.

last year when I got in my car accident I just decided life was too short to be overweight.....and slowly started working it out.

i dropped from 260 pounds down to exactly 219 this morning (I am a wide bodied from at 6'2) with a goal weight of 205 pounds and want to get my body fat low so i can see the abs (which are starting to actually poke through)

The big thing to remember in all of this (you didnt ask but im gonna throw it in there anyway) your workouts are about 20 percent of the formula with the remainder going to healthy food choices and being consistant.

I have a gym membership to planet fitness which i am loving because I dropped my 50 dollar a month membership down to 10 dollars a month. 

I work out 5 days a week

Day 1 - Back and Biceps.    20 minute cardo warmup......about 300 reps of different ab workouts.   A combonation of freewights and machines.   The idea being that the whole workout is a cardio workout by constantly moving and not stopping to talk to people.   Weights are usually 3 different stations at 3 sets at 10 reps a set.    Two things I do every workout.....I biuld in 2 sessions of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) at 3 minutes a piece in the middle of the workout to keep my metabolism high and after i get off a cardio station I always do 40 reps of the pull down rope to stretch out my upper muscles.

Day 2 - Chest and Tricepts.    Formula is same as day 2.  Chest presses are either done with dumbless or on the pro smith.

Day 3 - Legs and Shoulders.   Formula of workout is as the same previous days 1 and 2.

Day 4 - Rest

Next workout starts Day 1 over again.

I always get some kind of protein no later then 20 minutes after the workouts.....whether it be chocolate milk from the 99 cent store across the street or a protein shake back at my apartment.

Getting lots of protein, rest, water, and enough calories are all crucial to this.....I have eliminated soda, candy (well some chocolate every once in a while) very little achohol drinking no smoking.   Water, coffee, tea all day.

Its working

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

i dropped from 260 pounds down to exactly 219 this morning (I am a wide bodied from at 6'2) with a goal weight of 205 pounds and want to get my body fat low so i can see the abs (which are starting to actually poke through)

That's one hell of a morning!!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

Four days a week. 45 mins cardio on the treadmill. Weights on the machines. I !@#$ myself up with free weights because I’m too cool to be shown how to do it correctly.  I don’t press anything over my head because I have a torn rotator cuff. So just curls, seated rows, and triceps. At 56 best shape in my life. 

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Four days a week. 45 mins cardio on the treadmill. Weights on the machines. I !@#$ myself up with free weights because I’m too cool to be shown how to do it correctly.  I don’t press anything over my head because I have a torn rotator cuff. So just curls, seated rows, and triceps. At 56 best shape in my life. 

We used to belong to the gym owed by the hospital. I have a partially torn rotator cuff as a result of their military press machine. The guy I refused surgery from said “oh yeah, that will wreck your shoulders!” So, why does the HOSPITAL have it there? 

So I opt for rehab instead of surgery. Another year off the tennis courts. While in rehab they had me doing curls. The stinking curls (I might have had a wrist angle wrong?) gave me tennis elbow! Another 10 months off the courts! I can and have gained 20 pounds over a stretch off like that. As is I’m about 5 pounds up with crap weather preventing court time for over the last  2 months. 

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have been suffering from tennis elbow since July. Got it playing golf. (Also have golfers elbow in my other elbow). It is ridiculously painful! There was a point where I couldn’t shake someone’s hand without doubling over. I was doing PT for a while and quit because it was silly (just massaging the arm).

i had to stop all racket sports and am holding off on golf in any event until the summer. But hoping I am better enough to pick up a tennis racket again by April. 

People don’t realize that! I couldn’t pick up a coke can without wincing. I had a routine where I’d reach into the front passenger seat with my left had, grab my briefcase handle and slide it across supported be my right forearm because THAT way didn’t hurt. You learn to do everything differently. After 10 months I realized it just didn’t hurt any more. I’m not sure when it got better, I just got used to not testing it.

The only thing I think may have helped was rubbing a finger back and forth over that tiny attachment trying to get some blood flow to it. It became a habit, something I did all the time without even thinking about it. I guess massaging the whole forearm couldn’t hurt.  GOOD LUCK!