Goodell Is "Concerned" with the NFL's Catch Rule and Wants Clarity - Catch Rule Simplified

On 30/01/2018 at 5:25 AM, BeginnersMind said:

You have to survive going to the ground. Seems easy to understand. People just don’t like it. 

The question is how long after a catch does it need to survive? Two steps? Four? Six? When do you become a runner?

59 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The question is how long after a catch does it need to survive? Two steps? Four? Six? When do you become a runner?

they are so inconsistent on the replay decisions in all sports, why do people insist it is always the correct call and that the rules have prevailed?

3 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The fact that the Ertz TD had to be reviewed says it all. It seems to me if you get both feet down with control it should be a catch. 

And the fact that Collinsworth and Michaels were saying it was going to be overturned...yowza.

I'd just change it to: if you get both feet down with control: catch. That way, 'survive the ground' just becomes a fumble. Simple.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

And the fact that Collinsworth and Michaels were saying it was going to be overturned...yowza.

I'd just change it to: if you get both feet down with control: catch. That way, 'survive the ground' just becomes a fumble. Simple.

I've been saying this all along, two feet down in the field of play = catch.  if you get hit and the ball comes out, it's a fumble, whether inbounds or out of bounds  It's not complicated.

Tim-

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

The fact that the Ertz TD had to be reviewed says it all. It seems to me if you get both feet down with control it should be a catch. 

All scoring plays are automatically reviewed.  It was an easy call with Ertz taking three steps to establish himself as runner which means it was a TD as soon as he broke the plane of the goal line. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

49 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

ALL scoring plays are reviewed.   

There was no irrefutable proof to overturn the call.   Both times they caught the ball and took 2 steps making them a runner.   

45 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

And the ground can't cause a fumble (in the EZ at minimum).  

6 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Ball under control two feet down should be a catch regardless of amount of time. Keep it Simple Stupid.

Along with ditching the control through the ground or whatever they wanna call it.  Asking a guy to catch a ball while being tackled and then the ball pops out after they roll on the ground for 3-5 ft and calling it incomplete is pretty stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

With the league focused on safety players consciously trying to maintain possession on the way to the ground can cause injury you basically have to sacrifice your body and go down with two hands on the ball held tight against your body and hope it doesn't move. Many players have had the wind knocked out of them. You have no way to brace yourself going down to the ground. I wouldn't doubt concussions as well. Just something I think about while bored at work.

The problem with "surviving the ground" is that as soon as a knee, elbow whatever hits the ground, the play is dead. Cowher actually explained it perfectly on CBS when they did their segment about catch/no-catch. Hand under ball when they player hits the ground, it's a catch. Two feet in bounds, control of the ball, catch and when he steps out, play is over. Ball crosses the plane or is controlled at any point in the endzone, play is dead, touchdown.

They've changed the definition of when a play is over, which has really screwed everything up. And just to add on to the passing game, they need to get rid of the spot foul PI calls. Too many times there's contact by both corner and receiver but the offense gets the call. 15 yard, automatic first down is plenty.

On 2/6/2018 at 4:33 PM, LabattBlue said:

Catch ball, two feet on the ground...IT'S A CATCH.  Stop with the football move, the ball moved two inches, maintain control all the way to the ground, and most important, stop with the frame by frame slo-mo replay.

Look for a lot more fumbles and sketchy completions with that change. 

One of the the biggest issues is that regardless of if the refs get the frame by frame- we do. As fans we have to manage our own expectations a bit. Being angry to be angry is no way to spend our Sundays