Pre-Combine and FA Mock

H2o

3 hours ago, H2o said:

What if there's no one that they feel is a QB of the future? You don't throw away a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB who is unworthy just because people on a message board say you should. :thumbsup:

I don't think Mason Rudolph is worth #21 or #22. What if that is Beane's opinion as well? Someone will likely take him before either of our 2nd Round picks though just because that is what teams do. Even then I don't think he would end up being "the guy". 

I get that, but one of these days we have to stop passing on quarterbacks that work out. Read Dak Prescott, and others. You're going to overpay for a quarterback in the first round,  you just are. We've been hearing "we've got to get better around the quarterback" since Marv Levy was GM. It just hasn't worked. This is the year with some talent coming out, we don't get a QB now, then when? 

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

I get that, but one of these days we have to stop passing on quarterbacks that work out. Read Dak Prescott, and others. You're going to overpay for a quarterback in the first round,  you just are. We've been hearing "we've got to get better around the quarterback" since Marv Levy was GM. It just hasn't worked. This is the year with some talent coming out, we don't get a QB now, then when? 

I just think the cost is too high to get to where we need to be unless we have an absolutely amazing FA period. I see 4 QB's in the top 5 and 5 in the first 13. I'm not trading up for Marshall if it goes like the mock. I don't want Rudolph in the 1st, but might take a shot in the 2nd if he was there. I think if it goes like this then Rudolph ends up in Arizona well before we pick in the 2nd. After that there is no one I take a flier on until the 4th. That's just me though. I see us getting a different vet to replace Taylor. Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford(though I would hate it), McCarron if he wins his grievance, Alex Smith, or make a run at Cousins. 

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a nice job of a mock H2o. However, I believe the Bills are going Quarterback and I believe they are going to move up.... possibly a long way... to get it done. 

While its certainly possible, I think a lot of people are over looking just how impactful losing Wood is going to be on the Bills plans in regards to trade ups.  Beane already is fretting the cost of moving up...but now, we have another hole to fill to go with the many other holes.

In no particular order, we have all these to consider outside just a QB:  

• DT - Big need
  • LB - Big Need
  • DB - Might be a big need if we lose Gaines.
  • WR - Need some speed here and guys who can stay healthy
  • OL - Need multiple people here to help the line, terrible in pass protection and we also might lose Glenn this year.  We honestly might have 4 new starters on the OL next year, and they aren't on the roster right now.  
  • Pass Rush - One of the worst in the NFL last year, needs a significant upgrade.  

Those are a LOT of things we need to address, and yes I fully understand the importance of a QB, but the NFL is a team game and 3 of the last 4 QB's in the playoffs this year were Foles (in the Super Bowl), Bortles, and Keenum.  Most would agree all are a heck of lot closer to a backup quality QB than a starter.  

I wont be surprised by a trade up, I just think the odds of it went even further down after the Wood situation.  And again, not suggesting we don't trade up, but Beane COVETS his draft picks and wants to build his TEAM through the draft...and hard to build a team with that many holes if you trade them all to gamble on a QB.  If you're gonna do it, you do it for a QB...but I just don't know Beane will pull the trigger to get one of the big 4 because its most likely gonna be a top 10 pick we have to get to and with all the needy teams, its going to be expensive.

All that being said, FA changes a lot of this here.  If we spend smart in FA and say add speed at WR, maybe land Star and some OL help, then I think the odds will go up.  But if they are just adding depth and don't land any quality starters, then I just don't see a big trade happening.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While its certainly possible, I think a lot of people are over looking just how impactful losing Wood is going to be on the Bills plans in regards to trade ups.  Beane already is fretting the cost of moving up...but now, we have another hole to fill to go with the many other holes.

In no particular order, we have all these to consider outside just a QB:  

• DT - Big need
  • LB - Big Need
  • DB - Might be a big need if we lose Gaines.
  • WR - Need some speed here and guys who can stay healthy
  • OL - Need multiple people here to help the line, terrible in pass protection and we also might lose Glenn this year.  We honestly might have 4 new starters on the OL next year, and they aren't on the roster right now.  
  • Pass Rush - One of the worst in the NFL last year, needs a significant upgrade.  

Those are a LOT of things we need to address, and yes I fully understand the importance of a QB, but the NFL is a team game and 3 of the last 4 QB's in the playoffs this year were Foles (in the Super Bowl), Bortles, and Keenum.  Most would agree all are a heck of lot closer to a backup quality QB than a starter.  

I wont be surprised by a trade up, I just think the odds of it went even further down after the Wood situation.  And again, not suggesting we don't trade up, but Beane COVETS his draft picks and wants to build his TEAM through the draft...and hard to build a team with that many holes if you trade them all to gamble on a QB.  If you're gonna do it, you do it for a QB...but I just don't know Beane will pull the trigger to get one of the big 4 because its most likely gonna be a top 10 pick we have to get to and with all the needy teams, its going to be expensive.

All that being said, FA changes a lot of this here.  If we spend smart in FA and say add speed at WR, maybe land Star and some OL help, then I think the odds will go up.  But if they are just adding depth and don't land any quality starters, then I just don't see a big trade happening.  

I think some how we keep Gaines on a team friendly contract.  I don't think that he is in a position for a big day.  

That makes 0 sense.  If you are going to draft a qb @ 4 take the one you want at 1.  Im a big PSU and Barkley fan, but QB is more important and harder to find.  If Buffalo doest draft a Qb they best traded for Luck or signed Cousins.

• Like (+1) 1

If and it is a big IF, the Draft unfolds the way that is shown, and the Bill's covet either Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield, I would think the Bill's would have more draft capital than the Jets .

Edited by Wily Dog
sp.

33 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

If and it is a big IF, the Draft unfolds the way that is shown, and the Bill's covet either Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield, I would think the Bill's would have more draft capital than the Jets .

It's not that we don't have picks, it's just the ransom it would take to go from 21 & 22 all the way up to #3. Especially when you take into account the amount of holes we have. I just don't see it happening.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

That makes 0 sense.  If you are going to draft a qb @ 4 take the one you want at 1.  Im a big PSU and Barkley fan, but QB is more important and harder to find.  If Buffalo doest draft a Qb they best traded for Luck or signed Cousins.

What if the Browns decide they are happy with any of the top 4 QB's? That allows them to take Barkley #1 and still get a guy they believe is their future. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's not that we don't have picks, it's just the ransom it would take to go from 21 & 22 all the way up to #3. Especially when you take into account the amount of holes we have. I just don't see it happening.

I agree. I don’t see it happening. It makes more sense to stay put. Plus if the Jets want to move to 3 the Colts would only move back to 6 and still get a very highly touted prospect 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

What if the Browns decide they are happy with any of the top 4 QB's? That allows them to take Barkley #1 and still get a guy they believe is their future. 

No team works that way.  With how inept Cleveland looks and is percieved it would look like they are scared to pick the wrong guy.   Worst not good enough at their jobs to evaluate which QB will fit best in their system.  Neither is a good perception for your first year.  

Its not a randsom.  Its the reason you trade Darby and Watkins in traing camp.  Get the ammunitions to get a Franchise Qb.  You are not going to outbid anyone in FA and a good one isnt falling to 21.  Use the cap space to sure up the defense and add speed at Wr.  Get a Franchise Qb and 2 other day 1 contributors.

5 hours ago, H2o said:

I think Brandon Beane fundamentally understands the easiest way to hide those holes is to have a franchise Quarterback. I have said it before and I will repeat it. I would be surprised if the Bills don't trade up in the 1st.... not necessarily all the way to #2 or #3.... but I am convinced they are going to move up.  And I eluded to it elsewhere today but having spent a weekend really trying to catch up on where I am behind on the rest of the draft class I am of the view this is no bad year to give up picks and move up.  I really do not think 2018 is a strong draft once you get past Quarterback, Running Back and Linebacker.  

7 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

They definitely do.  People who talk about a bidding war for pick 3 or pick 4 need to remember that teams offering a first this year and a first next year will have to offer more additional resource than a team offering two firsts in this draft because future picks are discounted in the formula.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Brandon Beane fundamentally understands the easiest way to hide those holes is to have a franchise Quarterback. I have said it before and I will repeat it. I would be surprised if the Bills don't trade up in the 1st.... not necessarily all the way to #2 or #3.... but I am convinced they are going to move up.  And I eluded to it elsewhere today but having spent a weekend really trying to catch up on where I am behind on the rest of the draft class I am of the view this is no bad year to give up picks and move up.  I really do not think 2018 is a strong draft once you get past Quarterback, Running Back and Linebacker.  

This is where I think FA plays a huge part. If they can maneuver well in the FA period and get legit starters to fill some of the other holes outside of QB that we currently have then I believe they might pay that ransom. I still believe we go with a vet like the ones I mentioned before and God knows I hope it isn't Bradford. They might make a run at Cousins too. It's all up in the air right now until March. 

I would love this draft, those two DT's push the pocket where Brady likes to feel comfortable. If Veta tackles Brady I think Brady will shatter. Getting both those DT's will also improve our outside pass rush. I could see Hughes having a big year if this happened. 

I would love to focus on the trenches this year and add some depth on the O-Line and hopefully get Cousins or McCarron. 

People will clamor for QB, but unless we trade up, we're not getting Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold. Jackson and Rudolph are flawed table scraps, and we should resist feeling pressured to take them at 21. Do not draft Allen under any circumstances. Lauletta and White are interesting ideas in the 2nd or 3rd round. Trading a 4th to Cleveland for Kizer after they get their guy at #1 would be an efficient buy-low. 

Anyway, assuming no trade up, DT/DT is a fine idea. It's our biggest non-QB need by far. Dareus traded, Kyle old/maybe retiring. Rest of the unit were all graded outside the top-100 DTs in the league. It's a ghastly situation. We absolutely need to bring in multiple guys whether it's through draft, trade, FA, or a combination.