PFF's Free Agent Tracker - Who they think should sign with Buffalo

DCOrange

Just now, RyanC883 said:

no QB's is a bit interesting??  

As I mentioned above, I'm guessing it's one of two reasons.

1. PFF has graded Tyrod as an above average starter each of the last 3 years; they probably don't think Buffalo needs a replacement
  2. They could be expecting Buffalo to look to the draft to fill the need.

42 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

They may not think Buffalo needs a QB; they've graded Tyrod out as an above average starter each of the last 3 years. Can't say for certain though; could also be a case where they just think Buffalo will get a QB in the draft.

This is the main reason PFF sucks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Taking this post from the Bills sub-reddit:

Here's the link for those that have a PFF subscription and can read it:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2018-nfl-free-agency-tracker

For those that don't have it, PFF publishes a massive PDF breaking down all the free agents-to-be, and part of their breakdown is pairing them up with the team they believe the player is the best fit for. The exact methodology is as follows:

Each unrestricted free agent has been given an ideal team to land with in free agency. This does not necessarily mean that each of those teams should be pursuing every one of those free agents, but rather that each of those players matches what those teams do from a schematic or stylistic point of view. Salary cap space and roster construction has also been factored in when looking at those ideal team fits, and they reflect the most sensible landing spot for each player in isolation, not as a complete team shopping list for the free agency period as a whole.

The end result is the following list of players for Buffalo, in order of the positions listed in the guide:

• RB Damien Williams
  • FB Derrick Coleman
  • WR John Brown
  • WR Andre Roberts
  • TE Jeff Cumberland
  • OT Austin Pasztor
  • DT Daequan Jones
  • DT Kyle Williams
  • DE Ezekiel Ansah
  • DE Arthur Moats
  • LB Bruce Carter
  • CB EJ Gaines

I'm very high on Ezekiel Ansah, I think he would dramatically improve our front 7, even though I do believe we probably won't want to pay the high price he will be commanding.  He's most likely a $12 M a year guy.

John Brown makes a lot of sense with his ability to stretch the field. He probably could be had a decent price.

Bruce Carter is a guy I loved coming out of college.  Lots of speed and can cover TE's.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Spotrac says $13.2m.  That is too rich for my tastes..... I have long since thought Adrian Clayborne from Atlanta might be an option.  Spotrac is thinking $9.3m for him.... that still feels a bit of an overpay but he might take 3 years so it doesn't quite hurt your cap for as long.  

vita vea and davenport with the 1st 2 picks would solve that issue.

I like Ansah and even DeMarcus Lawrence, but there will be a lot of competition for their services. I want Robert Quinn. Perfect fit for our defense. He's got a big contract, but no bigger than you would have t give Ansah. Plus he only has two more years and very little guaranteed money. He's only 27. 

The Rams could cut him for cap reasons, which is crazy. I'd offer them a pick just to guarantee I get him. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like Ansah and even DeMarcus Lawrence, but there will be a lot of competition for their services. I want Robert Quinn. Perfect fit for our defense. He's got a big contract, but no bigger than you would have t give Ansah. Plus he only has two more years and very little guaranteed money. He's only 27. 

The Rams could cut him for cap reasons, which is crazy. I'd offer them a pick just to guarantee I get him. 

I'd love that move if it happened and would have no problem offering one of our 5ths to ensure his rights

• Like (+1) 1

Or a player. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because it doesn’t have a way to factor in the plays he leaves on the field 

This is spot on. People love to point out that he rarely turns the ball over. And that's super. But when you factor in all the times he could make a play and doesn't (especially on 3rd down) it's really the same as turning the ball over. Only difference is a temporary edge in field position.

59 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hope for this every night before bed...."please let the Rams cut Robert Quinn" 

I would offer higher than a 5th for him too if thats what it took 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buftex said:

PFF is a fun read from time to time, but it is overall, pretty useless, in my opinion.

I definitely think it's useful, just perhaps not for looking at the overall QB score.

Having said that, they also publish an annual in-depth report on all the QBs and it's insanely cool to look through.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Taking this post from the Bills sub-reddit:

Here's the link for those that have a PFF subscription and can read it:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2018-nfl-free-agency-tracker

For those that don't have it, PFF publishes a massive PDF breaking down all the free agents-to-be, and part of their breakdown is pairing them up with the team they believe the player is the best fit for. The exact methodology is as follows:

Each unrestricted free agent has been given an ideal team to land with in free agency. This does not necessarily mean that each of those teams should be pursuing every one of those free agents, but rather that each of those players matches what those teams do from a schematic or stylistic point of view. Salary cap space and roster construction has also been factored in when looking at those ideal team fits, and they reflect the most sensible landing spot for each player in isolation, not as a complete team shopping list for the free agency period as a whole.

The end result is the following list of players for Buffalo, in order of the positions listed in the guide:

• RB Damien Williams
  • FB Derrick Coleman
  • WR John Brown
  • WR Andre Roberts
  • TE Jeff Cumberland
  • OT Austin Pasztor
  • DT Daequan Jones
  • DT Kyle Williams
  • DE Ezekiel Ansah
  • DE Arthur Moats
  • LB Bruce Carter
  • CB EJ Gaines

Very strange list and besides Ansah, Kyle and Gaines, a lot of it doesn't make sense. Look like it was put together but someone that knows nothing about our team. 

Damien Williams is just a generic backup running back. he's nothing special. You could probably get someone like him late in the draft. Williams also has red flags and was dismissed from Oklahoma when he was there. 

Derrick Coleman is a fullback who is not better than Patrick DiMarco, and has been suspended for off the field stuff. 

John Brown makes some sense as a deep threat, but probably not much better than Deonte Thompson. He's also had a ton of injury issues. He did have a huge year in 2015. 

Andre Roberts visited here a couple of years ago and chose to sign somewhere else. He's an okay punt returner. Slight upgrade from Tate. 

Jeff Cumberland is a blocking tight end who is an okay player. Guys like him can always be found in the draft for cheaper like East_West Shrine interview Ethan Wolf as an UDFA. 

Austin Pasztor is a Canadian backup right tackle who was available for league minimum last summer. 

Daquan Jones would be an interesting add as a depth player on the defensive line. A PSU alum who was a fourth round pick. Coming off a torn biceps. 

Arthur Moats is a severely undersized defensive end who has been valuable as a rotational piece as a linebacker for Pittsburgh. He would be an awful fit in our defensive scheme at end or linebacker. 

Bruce Carter was a big time free agent signing of the Bucs a few years ago. They expected him to come in and be their MIKE and be awesome. He played like crap and got benched and then cut. His defensive coordinator at the time? Leslie Frazier.  

So yeah, I'm not a fan of this list. It seems like a lazy plugging of positional needs.  

• Like (+1) 1

Very strange list and besides Ansah, Kyle and Gaines, a lot of it doesn't make sense. Look like it was put together but someone that knows nothing about our team. 

So yeah, I'm not a fan of this list. It seems like a lazy plugging of positional needs.  

Probably is. Looks like they just made a list of perceived needs and then offered a selection of their top-graded players at that position

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Outside of Gaines and Ansah, not a very inspiring list of difference makers.

When one is going to get paid 12+mill and the other 8-9 mill that’s what you get with our cap room.