National Reporters: A Big Move Up the Board Unlikely for Bills

On 1/25/2018 at 6:15 AM, LeGOATski said:

I'm also of the mindset that these QBs aren't worth it. Maybe Darnold or Rosen. Mayfield for a much lower price. I wouldn't trade up for anyone else.

I go back to the comments by Mike Florio that many of the scouts he talked to felt that this crop of QBs isn’t as good as last year’s.  I wouldn’t overspend to move up. The Bills may have blown it by not picking Watson or Mahomes when they had the opportunity with the 10th pick of the last draft but it’s in the past and can’t be changed now.  They’ll just have to try and make the best move they can to improve the QB position.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Guaranteed that the Eagles don't regret making the move for Wentz.

I'm sure they don't.  It also doesn't work out often.  They also moved from 8 to 2.  We would be moving from 21.  The price is much heftier.  Philly also did not have as many holes as the Bills do.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I'm sure they don't.  It also doesn't work out often.  They also moved from 8 to 2.  We would be moving from 21.  The price is much heftier.  Philly also did not have as many holes as the Bills do.

Often? Point out these instances beyond RG3.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:41 AM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

At the end of the day, OBD has to trust their eyes. You can't predict the future, but if your board says a guy is the guy, then that very real cost is worth taking the chance. Can't let Wentz get you too high or RG3 get you too low. Each prospect is their own guy and OBD should pull the trigger if a prospect looks like the guy. 

It's like the coaches were always telling Tyrod, trust your eyes. I agree with you 100%. If they think the guy's the real deal then make the move. If you're unsure, take the players and find a quarterback farther down the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Often? Point out these instances beyond RG3.

I guess you take the word "often" as meaning something I don't mean.  Perhaps I could put it better to you that it doesn't work out as often as it does work out.  Trading up to the top of the draft doesn't happen often.  Trading up in general to take QBs happens and usually doesn't work out.

Sanchez

Freeman

Gabbert

Manziel

Tebow

Bridgewater

Lynch

Vick

Leaf

Losman

Are some more QBs that involved draft day trades. Some for just picks. Some for picks and players.

Edited by Scott7975

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Wrong 26, every single one of those was a trade up and you can throw Tim Tebow in there as well.

My memory is faulty then.

I had forgotten about these, so I stand corrected: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/history-says-trading-up-for-a-first-round-quarterback-is-generally-a-terrible-idea/

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

My memory is faulty then.

I had forgotten about these, so I stand corrected: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/history-says-trading-up-for-a-first-round-quarterback-is-generally-a-terrible-idea/

Well the only reason I remember most of them is because I wanted the Bills to trade up to get half of them! Would have been a bad idea. So I'm torn this year. But my gut says we got to do something and that could mean trading up perhaps even a couple slots if the right guy is there.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Well the only reason I remember most of them is because I wanted the Bills to trade up to get half of them! Would have been a bad idea. So I'm torn this year. But my gut says we got to do something and that could mean trading up perhaps even a couple slots if the right guy is there.

Many of them serve as caveats, so they'll have to be right if they make such a move. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Many of them serve as caveats, so they'll have to be right if they make such a move. 

Any if them strike you as worth moving up a lot or even a little? In my mind, Rosen and Darnold are gone and beyond our reach. I'm interested in Mayfield primarily and Rudolph secondarily. I'd burn some serious draft capital for Mayfield. For Rudolf, maybe I would hope a few slots.

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Any if them strike you as worth moving up a lot or even a little? In my mind, Rosen and Darnold are gone and beyond our reach. I'm interested in Mayfield primarily and Rudolph secondarily. I'd burn some serious draft capital for Mayfield. For Rudolf, maybe I would hope a few slots.

Rosen and Darnold are worth the gamble IMO, but I don't think they'll have a chance to get to 1 or 2 where I believe they'll be selected.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Yay! More years of not getting our guy because the price is too steep.

And the Bills continue to languish.

I’m happy these reporters really have no idea as to what the Bills plan is because what the Bills do need, and have needed for a very long time, is superb QB play.

You can’t put a price tag on that.

On January 25, 2018 at 9:26 AM, ddaryl said:

yeah its not happening IMO... because of the QB run up top, excellent higher rated players, in positions of need,  will be falling to us.

It doesn't matter how many fall to us if we still don't have a QB in 2018.

11 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yay! More years of not getting our guy because the price is too steep.

And the Bills continue to languish.

I’m happy these reporters really have no idea as to what the Bills plan is because what the Bills do need, and have needed for a very long time, is superb QB play.

You can’t put a price tag on that.

Agree on all counts.

We need a QB, we should be prepared to do whatever it takes to finally get one, and the national press has NO IDEA what the real game plan of the Bills is!  That is for sure.

You got to take the chance. If it doesn't work out, try again next year.

Those worried about about the picks that didn't pan out in the past, perhaps part of that was due to the team that traded up for them. Perhaps it was because the front offices were high on their physical attributes but failed to recognize their lack of football intelligence or passion for the game. Perhaps it was just that those picks ended up on bad teams.

The drought was caused in part by the lack of taking chances to get a franchise QB. If we had picked several top 10 QBs over that time, we likely would have a franchise passer by now. But, we didn't.

Edited by clayboy54

If we are not going up to get one of the 2 or so legit top guys, don’t even bother drafting a qb. No more of the 6th, 7th etc best qb in these drafts. Either go up and get Darnold or Mayfield/Rosen or just get a veteran. Pay Cousins. Enough of these games with trying to force average backups as franchise QBs. When was the last time a QB we had on the roster for a few years, went anywhere else and started? The only one was Cassel and it was because of injury.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If we are not going up to get one of the 2 or so legit top guys, don’t even bother drafting a qb. No more of the 6th, 7th etc best qb in these drafts. Either go up and get Darnold or Mayfield/Rosen or just get a veteran. Pay Cousins. Enough of these games with trying to force average backups as franchise QBs. When was the last time a QB we had on the roster for a few years, went anywhere else and started? The only one was Cassel and it was because of injury.

Fitz

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Fitz

Yeah that’s true too. Although I’m pretty sure every time he started except year 2 of Jets was because of injury as well. If IK didn’t punch geno in the face, Fitz was the back up. I loved Fitz. I probably fought more battles in support of fitz on the BBMB, then anyone. Those teams were losing because Chan Gailey was the worst HC in football and we had the worst defenses in Bills history. If Fitz has our 17 roster, we could have been good. I would probably take him back for 1 more year while a rookie learns.

I'm not sure this is that hard to understand based on what Beane has said or done over the past year. If NFL teams reach for QB's then certainly Beane will get what he considers top 10 talent at 21 and 22.

If a QB falls outside the Top 10 that he covets as a top 10 talent then I am sure he will make every effort to go get him because he will consider it value.

In the end it all comes down to Beane and his staffs ability to evaluate the talent in the draft. I don't see any scenario where he and McD overpay to move up for anyone. It just doesn't seem like their style.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'
  • Like (+1) 1

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  The Bills need a true franchise QB to consistently compete in today's NFL.  Do whatever it takes to find that guy... Trade away all your picks and move up, pick a QB with every pick, give some FA all the money he asks for plus 10%.  I don't care, just find him.

In the past, I had no faith in the FO. So I was a proponent of the shotgun approach.  Draft one with every pick and hope one of those 6 or 7 turned out ok.   This year, I'm willing to give these guys a fresh start and would hope... They've done whatever it takes to properly scout and select a QB that can be succesful.   Either way, I still say... Sign a good FA QB.   Very few QBs light it up in year one, and I think the bust rate is considerably higher if they have the pressure of winning now as a rookie.  So, sign a FA to carry the team for 2–3yrs and continue winning while you're properly grooming, teaching, and preparing your guy to lead the team for the next 15+ years.

So... I wouldn't waste picks and trade up unless I was sure that the guy I was going after would be the guy.   If he is... Like I said, trade the entire draft. Every other position be damned... Get a QB.   If your guy is off the board, then pick as many as you can to hope you find one.   And hopefully everyone here remembers, you can't just say sign Cousins and its done.   There's a lot of other teams bidding and the player has say so in the matter.  So, the FA answer may or may not be viable.

By all accounts, this offseason there is likely to be a solid few FA QBs, so getting you veteran "bridge" guy seems doable.   And the draft seems to have a few solid options.  So, getting your franchise guy seems doable.   But to get both, will require the scouts to have done their jobs properly, Beane to work the agents and draft board properly, and yes, some luck.    It's going to be interesting this off season for sure.

P.S.  I hope they don't just sign a FA and consider the job done, nor do I hope they put all their eggs in a rookie draft pick.  IMO, they need to go after both to ensure they get a true NFL QB that can run whatever offense they want to run for the next decade.

On January 25, 2018 at 8:28 AM, NewEraBills said:

Did Beane say they would not do it or did he simply say, "It's a high price to pay", or something along those lines?  In any case, I've always advocated that if the move up is small move up, but if it takes a kings ransom, we have way too many holes on the team to do that, IF our goal is to continue to build on the success we had this past season.  We'll see what happens.

I could see them move up to pick 16 if somebody was really there that they liked and not burn an additional 1st to do it.  I think they want to build a foundation after considering 2017's draft so any additional picks to make a move will come out 2019's choices.  Further, baring a meltdown I think McD/Beane have 4 years instead of the traditional 3 so I don't think they have to find their QB this spring meaning FA bridge.  Wentz got the Eagles through most of the regular season so unless Foles throws 5TD's a week from today I don't think his price will be too astronomical.  I would love to know what Daboll is thinking right now.