National Reporters: A Big Move Up the Board Unlikely for Bills

NATIONAL REPORTERS: A BIG MOVE UP THE BOARD UNLIKELY FOR BILLS

senior-bowl-qbs-1-25-story.jpg

Bills GM Brandon Beane stated they would not pay a king's ransom to get to the top of the board to chase quarterbacks. Buffalobills.com spoke to some national reporters who concurred with Beane that overpaying to get to quarterback territory on the draft board would be ill advised.

DANIEL JEREMIAH: "WE ARE GOING TO SEE A RUN" (2:56)
Bills' Insider Chris Brown and NFL Network Draft Analyst Daniel Jeremiah discuss what potential options the Bills have coming out of the Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama.

GREG MCELROY: "A LOT OF TALENT, GOOD DEPTH" (5:13)
Bills' Insider Chris Brown and ESPN College Football Analyst Greg McElroy discuss the quarterback class at the Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama.

IAN RAPOPORT: "THEY COULD MOVE AROUND" (4:35)
Bills' Insider Chris Brown talks with NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport about the upcoming draft and QB options for the Bills from the Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

yeah its not happening IMO... because of the QB run up top, excellent higher rated players, in positions of need,  will be falling to us.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Did Beane say they would not do it or did he simply say, "It's a high price to pay", or something along those lines?  In any case, I've always advocated that if the move up is small move up, but if it takes a kings ransom, we have way too many holes on the team to do that, IF our goal is to continue to build on the success we had this past season.  We'll see what happens.

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

We will be hearing so many smoke screens from now through draft day. 

I don't put much emphasis on reports like these

It's pretty early in the game. We'll have to wait to see exactly what value the Bills place on the 2018 QB class.   We most likely won't know one way or the other until the 1st round actually begins on April 26th. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Guaranteed that the Eagles don't regret making the move for Wentz.

Guaranteed the Redskins regret moving up for RG3.

There's two sides to every coin.  I'm on record and I still believe if you can get into the top 4 and get the QB who is #1 on your board, do it, but there's a very real cost.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

There's two sides to very coin.  I'm on record and I still believe if you can get into the top 4 and get the QB who is #1 on your board, do it, but there's a very real cost.

Indeed. Especially since they were drafting a guy who was pretty raw in doing so many of the things that are rudimentary to playing QB at the NFL level.  Huge difference between Wentz and RGIII.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Guaranteed that the Eagles don't regret making the move for Wentz.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

There's two sides to very coin.  I'm on record and I still believe if you can get into the top 4 and get the QB who is #1 on your board, do it, but there's a very real cost.

At the end of the day, OBD has to trust their eyes. You can't predict the future, but if your board says a guy is the guy, then that very real cost is worth taking the chance. Can't let Wentz get you too high or RG3 get you too low. Each prospect is their own guy and OBD should pull the trigger if a prospect looks like the guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BuffaloDave55 said:

Anyone have a list of QB's taken in 1st round in last 5 to 8 years?  How many are starters?  How many are still in the league?  I would love to see a complete list.  Of those wonder who made trades to get those picks.

Dating back to 2010's draft, in order:

Sam Bradford

Tim Tebow

Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Blaine Gabbert

Christian Ponder

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Ryan Tannehill

Brandon Weeden

EJ Manuel

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota

Jared Goff

Carson Wentz

Paxton Lynch

Mitch Trubisky

Patrick Mahomes

Deshaun Watson

Edit: I bolded the ones that I think most would agree worked out pretty fine (maybe not Tannehill?) The Underlined might be a little bit too early to say for sure, but they look like they'll probably work out. I didn't touch this past year's class since we've seen so little of all of them.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't expect them to make a big move up the charts for a QB either. OBD does not hold QB in a high enough regard, new staff same idea, win now forget about later. 

I fully expect a QB taken later in the draft after other needs are addressed. Why? Because it is a known trend at OBD. They will either stay with the last staffs QB (the great QB guru Rex choice at QB)or find some other journeyman to try to win now with. If this staff falls to have another miracle season in 18 or 19 the next staff will come in with the exact same problems the last staffs have had since Kelly, a team with no franchise worthy QB and a team that has a bunch of needs. Wash repeat to another long playoff drought.

Things will not change until the owner tells a new staff before hired they need to go big on a QB and to not worry about win now as much as addressing the QB problem correctly first because without a franchise worthy QB there is no dynasty just a staff on its last leg trying to get a miracle to happen while using other teams not good enough in the most important position in football. 

IMO fix the QB position and the rest will fall into place with patience. Build around a QB first because by the time you get a good QB your other positions you got first are now on contract that are too expensive to keep, you need them rookies to fall in line behind a QB that is established and controlling the team, it is why NE has ran the NFL for so long, all starts with QB. Find a real talent at QB and build to win later, win now just takes us to the next staff, time to rebuild again, say goodbye to most of the talent you just spent a bunch of draft picks on. That MD pick was a wonderful pick over picking Cam. A top player for 3 years that ends up elsewhere is not a good investment but a top QB will last maybe 15 years is. Got to look long term.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Indeed. Especially since they were drafting a guy who was pretty raw in doing so many of the things that are rudimentary to playing QB at the NFL level.  Huge difference between Wentz and RGIII.

How does the adage go - You can't hit a home run without taking a swing? 

In light of the analytics team revamp, hopefully they can do the proper analysis on the rationale to move up in the draft.   History is generally more favorable for moving up to draft QBs than for other positions